#31 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41319 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 19 January 2018 - 04:09 PM

That case wasn't being investigated by the committee at the time.
There werw different circumstances with that one

So Itchy's point remains

They need to have any issues identified and sent to the committee before the player signs their card so they don't get a double whammy

With a feed review which could easily be running behind play the poor player could still cop two penalties
Handicap
Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016
Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands, 15/4/18 16th Carbrook
Goal: A round at par or better!
Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion
Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island
Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands
Winner: 2017 Nationals day 5 round at Bonnie Doon
South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer
http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#32 rogolf

rogolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 12:36 AM

So Itchy's point remains

They need to have any issues identified and sent to the committee before the player signs their card so they don't get a double whammy

With a feed review which could easily be running behind play the poor player could still cop two penalties

Yes, that's true.  Knowing the Rules and playing by them has its benefits.  The sport relies on the integrity of the player(s).

#33 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41319 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 20 January 2018 - 06:48 AM

Yes, that's true. Knowing the Rules and playing by them has its benefits. The sport relies on the integrity of the player(s).

Which they have a rich history of demonstrating

But some things are just never seen by them or their playing group

The rule change should have said that any infringements identified or advised to the player after they have signed their card and do not incur an incorrect scorecard penalty

Edited by Weetbix, 20 January 2018 - 06:49 AM.

Handicap
Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016
Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands, 15/4/18 16th Carbrook
Goal: A round at par or better!
Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion
Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island
Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands
Winner: 2017 Nationals day 5 round at Bonnie Doon
South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer
http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#34 rogolf

rogolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 08:17 AM

Which they have a rich history of demonstrating

But some things are just never seen by them or their playing group

The rule change should have said that any infringements identified or advised to the player after they have signed their card and do not incur an incorrect scorecard penalty

The penalty went from DQ to two strokes in 2016, that's quite a significant change.  Imo, there has to be some incentive for the player to know the Rules; there shouldn't be a free pass for being ignorant of them.

Edited by rogolf, 20 January 2018 - 08:19 AM.

• pom, Madam and languid like this

#35 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2320 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 10:52 AM

Watched the ball obviously move on Matt Kuchar as he went to putt the other night on the tv, midway thru his first round. He sort of recoiled slightly and lifted his putter, then without any hesitation went back into his process and made his stroke. No one made any comment about the ball moving and I'd suspect he didn't even consider that he'd made the ball move, just kept going. It seems that the pro's now have a new way to get out of jail when a problem occurs, let someone else prove or disprove it via the replay ?

Jon...

#36 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1819 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 01:08 PM

Watched the ball obviously move on Matt Kuchar as he went to putt the other night on the tv, midway thru his first round. He sort of recoiled slightly and lifted his putter, then without any hesitation went back into his process and made his stroke. No one made any comment about the ball moving and I'd suspect he didn't even consider that he'd made the ball move, just kept going. It seems that the pro's now have a new way to get out of jail when a problem occurs, let someone else prove or disprove it via the replay ?
Jon...

I think your comment is cynical.
You allege his Ball moved. Maybe it oscillated or returned to the spot.
“Went to putt” is not specifically addressing the Ball or otherwise causing the Ball to move.
I think the Tour Professionals are worthy of trust until proven otherwise. I have seen many telecasts and many examples of “calling the penalty “ on themselves.
Penalties applied after the event are more commonly due to not knowing a Rule properly, including a Local Rule.
Cheating can and has got Professionals suspended for a long time. It happens rarely. It has happened in Australia.

#37 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3053 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 07:25 PM

Jon...

Why would he say or do anything if he determined he didn't cause the movement?

If it is determined that a player’s ball on the putting green was moved as a result of wind, water or some other natural cause such as the effects of gravity, the ball must be played as it lies from its new location. A ball-marker moved in such circumstances is replaced."

#38 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2320 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 10:13 PM

I think your comment is cynical.
You allege his Ball moved. Maybe it oscillated or returned to the spot.
“Went to putt” is not specifically addressing the Ball or otherwise causing the Ball to move.
I think the Tour Professionals are worthy of trust until proven otherwise. I have seen many telecasts and many examples of “calling the penalty “ on themselves.
Penalties applied after the event are more commonly due to not knowing a Rule properly, including a Local Rule.
Cheating can and has got Professionals suspended for a long time. It happens rarely. It has happened in Australia.

His ball moved backwards and he had to pull his putter away because it was grounded behind the ball and ready to go ! 

I would've expected him to let one of his playing partners know what had happened before continuing.

Call me cynical but don't try to tell me what I saw and please don't try to put words into my mouth, when you obviously didn't see the situation during the tv coverage !   

Why would he say or do anything if he determined he didn't cause the movement?

If it is determined that a player’s ball on the putting green was moved as a result of wind, water or some other natural cause such as the effects of gravity, the ball must be played as it lies from its new location. A ball-marker moved in such circumstances is replaced."

I'm not inferring that he made the ball move, all I saw was that it looked unusual and he continued without mentioning it to someone else. I've seen this situation happen several times in the past year whilst playing and on every occasion the player had made sure that his playing partners and marker were aware of what transpired before proceeding. All of the elements have been in play to move the ball on these occasions, wind, water and gravity.

Jon...  

#39 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3053 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 11:15 PM

He had no obligation to say or do anything. He was conforming with the Rules.

#40 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12719 posts
  • LocationThirteen point twenty-four warning points

Posted 22 January 2018 - 06:41 AM

So, he didn't cheat?
"But sometimes there are more important things in life than being pedantic about the rules of golf, or spelling and grammar on golf forums"

#41 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3053 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:33 AM

If he didn't cause the ball to move, no.

Are you suggesting he did?

#42 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5451 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:50 AM

Would be nice to have some vision of the incident, it's all just pointless speculation otherwise. 

#43 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38013 posts
  • Location20m closer than you expected

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:58 AM

So it fits right in.
  • Mr_C likes this

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015 | Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid / Srixon AD333 ball | Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole Kooindah Waters 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 26/12/17, 15th hole, Callaway BB Alpha, HOF Patriot shaft, same old testicles of steel

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.
Goldlink

#44 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1819 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:56 PM

Golf Guy

Without good pictures none of us can evaluate the incident.

You stated what you believe happened.

If the player grounded his club behind the ball and it took up a new position without any othe possible explanation he caused it to move...

The trap with TV vision is how perfectly the picture tells the story. Your description of the player recoiling and lifting the putter sounds more like he had almost grounded his Club when he saw ball movement.

I have had that happpen to me and seen it happen to others. I have also caused the ball to move replaced the Ball and taken the 1 penalty stroke and felt sorry for myself.

The big question in my mind is, did the putter touch the ball or was the putter actually grounded in the address position? I would give the benefit of the doubt to the player. The way Matt Kuchar has conducted himself over many years strongly points to a man of honour.

When I used the word cynical I was doing so because of the implication that professionals are looking for sneaky ways to avoid a penalty.

#45 rogolf

rogolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 02:02 AM

Further, we don't know the date of the reported event, nor the local Rules which were in effect.

Here's the new local Rule available to Committees, and i'm pretty sure that all professional Tours have implemented it:

“Rules 18-2, 18-3 and 20-1 are modified as follows:

When a player’s ball lies on the putting green, there is no penalty if the ball or ball-marker is accidentally moved by the player, his partner, his opponent, or any of their caddies or equipment.

The moved ball or ball-marker must be replaced as provided in Rules 18-2, 18-3 and 20-1.

This Local Rule applies only when the player’s ball or ball-marker lies on the putting green and any movement is accidental.

Note: If it is determined that a player’s ball on the putting green was moved as a result of wind, water or some other natural cause such as the effects of gravity, the ball must be played as it lies from its new location. A ball-marker moved in such circumstances is replaced."

A similar situation occurred in the PGATour  CareerBuilders tournament on Sunday.  A ball on the putting green moved while the player was getting ready to putt it - no penalty to the player.

Edited by rogolf, 23 January 2018 - 02:05 AM.

• Madam, languid and iRON MiCK like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users