Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41564 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 12 December 2017 - 06:14 AM

Good call

Will the official be reviewing all feeds at the same time or just the telecast feed?
Handicap
Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016
Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands, 15/4/18 16th Carbrook
Goal: A round at par or better!
Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion
Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island
Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands
Winner: 2017 Nationals day 5 round at Bonnie Doon
South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer
http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#3 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3060 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 09:09 AM

http://www.usga.org/...mpetitions.html

#4 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 10:15 AM

The link indicates it will be the Broadcast feed but I expect other images will be seen incidentally and not ignored by Rules Officials.

By the way I recall comment on this forum some time ago expressing wonder and disappointment that this monitoring was not routinely done.

My long held view is the the Tours Have been miserly in by not having enough Rules Officials on hand to expedite Rules handling on the Course during play. The advent of television coverage has made this more obvious.

There are millions of dollars involved.
  • pom likes this

#5 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2366 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 11:39 AM

We have seen the rules broken several times recently, via the telecast versions and social media. Given the rules of golf are the same for everyone with slight changes to tournament conditions, what will be the main difference to administering the breaches picked up by officialdom, be. The glaring problem that I see is that the rules officials have been put on notice about doing their job and have failed on many occasions. The Eldrid Woods fiasco was a real clanger that the rules guys not only got wrong but then let him, "not be penalized". The Lexi ball marking incident was cut and dried, until her pro mates decided that the television scrutiny was out of control and could happen to them too ! I'm now wondering if a spectator on course videos a players process in using the rules or in general play, using their mobile, will the rules officials accept the evidence ?
I think the viewer at home is a great equalizer for the game and should be utilized to the fullest amount.
Jon...

#6 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Moss Effect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13344 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 22 December 2017 - 12:18 PM

Over penalizing based on slow mo replays and should never be used to determine the outcome of a sporting event. Some Collingwood supporters may disagree. But Kenny Sheldon kicked a magnificent goal and Pebbles shot went over the post (twice)
:D

18.4 by Dec. 2018

2018 Keysborough GC Gala Team Event Winner

2017 VIC ISG OOM Overall Winner

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Overall Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3023100698

"Team Frank" founding member

#7 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11900 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 22 December 2017 - 02:39 PM

The use of TV call ins was always more about reacting to perceived public pressure rather than policing the game.Removing this scourge will go part way to evening up the scales but whilst rules officials are checking broadcaster supplied video we will still have the issue that those in the lead groups will be under far more scrutiny than the rest of the field.

The aim of the rules is to make the playing field equal for all competitors. Unless all groups come under the same video scrutiny this does not happen

Member of the Vision Test Pilot Project.
No VTPP11

#8 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4483 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 22 December 2017 - 07:17 PM

Actually long overdue to have a dedicated second umpire when you think how many sports have gone this way.  Even cricket has a review.  It seems madness when tournaments are worth what they are not to have a dedicated referee watching the telecast to identify any potential rules violations.  If they eliminate call ins, then they have to be confident that they are going to catch everything that might otherwise be called in.

Golflink

Winner C Grade Long Drive 2013 OOM #2 Heidelberg

Winner B Grade Long Drive 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Winner B Grade NTP 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#9 Monty85

Monty85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Posted 15 January 2018 - 12:10 PM

I think the viewer at home is a great equalizer for the game and should be utilized to the fullest amount.
Jon...

I've never really had much issue with the view call in's. I think if you break the rules, then you have broken the rules. It shouldn't matter that a player is more heavily scrutinized because they are more popular and televised more. End of the day a rule was broken and it would be more unfair to the other players to no penalise them.

The only time i've not been happy about a post incident rule breach was the Dustin Johnson one in the US Open. My biggest issue is that he spoke to a rules official at the time and was told it was ok. IMO that should have been the end of it and any subsequent review of that incident should not have occurred.

What's the point of a rules official on course if what they are telling you can be overruled later on.

• pom and Never Trendy like this

| GolfLink 

#10 Codboy

Codboy

Goat coniseu

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7283 posts
  • Locationoutta here

Posted 15 January 2018 - 07:16 PM

Whoah
  • Bluethunda likes this
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be

#11 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:15 PM

I've never really had much issue with the view call in's. I think if you break the rules, then you have broken the rules. It shouldn't matter that a player is more heavily scrutinized because they are more popular and televised more. End of the day a rule was broken and it would be more unfair to the other players to no penalise them.

The only time i've not been happy about a post incident rule breach was the Dustin Johnson one in the US Open. My biggest issue is that he spoke to a rules official at the time and was told it was ok. IMO that should have been the end of it and any subsequent review of that incident should not have occurred.

What's the point of a rules official on course if what they are telling you can be overruled later on.

Have you got a reference that details the DJ incident?

#12 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3060 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:54 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...t/golf/38248327

https://www.golfdige...-us-open-fiasco

#13 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11900 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 16 January 2018 - 04:54 PM

If video reviews are going to be the future of the game then we will see more of these moments when the video review shows that the on course RO made a mistake. Either the game goes with the review system or it does not. I can just imagine the furore  if a mistake by a Rules official was picked up in the review but ignored because a decision  ( incorrect.)had been made by that  official on course.

No VTPP11

#14 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 06:17 PM

If video reviews are going to be the future of the game then we will see more of these moments when the video review shows that the on course RO made a mistake. Either the game goes with the review system or it does not. I can just imagine the furore  if a mistake by a Rules official was picked up in the review but ignored because a decision  ( incorrect.)had been made by that  official on course.

Reading the reports supplied by AAA the Rules Official/ Referee was not judging with his own eyes, relying more on what he was told.
It matters a lot exactly what he was told and exactly what he advised DJ.
REFEREES can have “total” or limited authority on course depending on what level is delegated by the Match Committee. Rules Officials do make mistakes. There is quite a lot of protection for players in such circumstances. There are 3 Decisions you could read. 34-3/7, 34-3/8 and 34/9. There is a lot to read in these. I recommend people at least read the last para of 34-3/9.
I agree that TV broadcasting and recording adds a layer of problems for players and officials.
The Tours have been very slow to take preemptive action in having Broadcast feeds under constant scrutiny. The first steps have been taken.

#15 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11900 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 16 January 2018 - 06:49 PM

IMO the tours have been reactive rather than Pro-active and have been caught out on several occasions with embarrassing stuff ups. I agree that Video coverage if reviewed will possibly decrease the numbers of these mistakes but I stand by my earlier point that it must include all players in the field not just the leading groups. I imagine that would add considerably to the amount of video footage that would have to be taken and reviewed. Let us hope it is not a review of the broadcast footage only.

No VTPP11

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users