#76 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11752 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 15 December 2017 - 07:14 PM

it's not necessarily remembering specifically which ones go up and which ones only go down, it's about understanding the definitions and what they mean.

Ground under repair is part of the course proper, which has a temporary change to it. This is in the same vein as a pathway or an immovable obstruction, they are part of the course - their extents do not extend upwards, because that would be silly if they did. 

A hazard is not part of the course proper so the rules are applied accordingly. 

To me, it's pretty much that simple and follows the other rules related to this.

If you hit your ball in casual water and you're sure it's in there but can't see it to get it out, the ball is within part of the course so you get your free drop. Whereas, if your ball is lost in a hazard, you are penalised for that. 

Look at it this way. If you hit the ball into Casual water or gur, their extents do not need to extend upwards because point of entry is not relevant. However when your ball enters a water hazard the extent of the hazard must extend upwards so that you can determine point of entry. ( and not determine point of entry from where the ball splashed ( Entered ) the hazard. As I caught one A grader doing.)

• BumpunRun, Madambo and languid like this
Member of the Vision Test Pilot Project.
No VTPP11

#77 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23005 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 15 December 2017 - 08:28 PM

Look at it this way. If you hit the ball into Casual water or gur, their extents do not need to extend upwards because point of entry is not relevant. However when your ball enters a water hazard the extent of the hazard must extend upwards so that you can determine point of entry. ( and not determine point of entry from where the ball splashed ( Entered ) the hazard. As I caught one A grader doing.)

Sorry, pom, I have to disagree with this one. If the edge of the hazard, extending upward, was lined with paper, you could see where the ball crossed the margin because of the hole it would have made in the paper wall. But there isn't, so one has to use other indicators such as the splash point to estimate where the ball crossed.
Whether the margin extends upward or not is irrelevant to what one may see.

Edited by OldBogey, 15 December 2017 - 08:30 PM.

#78 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1704 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 09:45 AM

I have some optimism about the 2019 Rules. More people will understand, not immediately though.
The language simplification is notable.
There are more definitions 73 versus 64 but each is easier reading and more understandable. There are fewer Rules 24 v 34.
There is a specific Rule, Rule 12 for Bunkers. In the current Rules you need to know that Rule 13 “Ball Played as It Lies” is a key place to look as well as the Definition.. there is a lot to like in the New Rules as drafted.
Some will regret no stand alone Rule for Water hazards. I won’t be sorry to see this complicated Rule disappear.
More simplification is one colour for stakes and lines for Water Hazards, by the way.
As Rogolf pointed out we will all have to unlearn the current Rules details. The Rules Geeks/ Officials will have more unlearning to do than others. Nobody will feel sorry for them.
I find it more difficult to learn and memorise stuff now ( elderly). I have started the task of reading and setting up Flash Cards to assist learning the new Rules. I know that nobody else at the Club is likely to get stuck in and I will be useful for Rules stuff if little else.
I have been told that an Education process will begin first quarter 2018 in Australia. I have no details. No doubt the education plan will be golf global.
This is likely to be very well done using all the Resources and methods now available.
There will be confusion for sure.
I reckon it will take a few years for the changes to embed.
Previously change has been evolutionary...the New Rules are more revolutionary while keeping the core principles.

• pom, Madambo and iRON MiCK like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users