66 replies to this topic

#31 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1819 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:09 PM

Can Break 80. I think you should at least skim read the study. Your assumption about where and how the study was done is wrong.
The study is not about highly skilled professionals or elite players as you would expect.
I think the study and conclusions are a useful addition to developing improved putting skills for people who are not happy with their current performance and prepared to give something different a go.

#32 over the MUFFIN top

over the MUFFIN top

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1749 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:22 PM

You look at the ball when you're trying to hit it with stick, bat or racquet though. Only difference is they're moving when you hit them.

What about bowling, lawn bowls etc?? I'd think those are more comparable to putting and in those games you do look at your target.....

http://www.golflink....k_no=3013315452

- Captain Shagger

- 2017 Southern Golf Club Order of Merit Winner

- 2017 Melbourne Corporate Games Bronze Medalist

- 2015 ISG Vic Annual OOM Champion (A-Grade & Overall)

- 2015 ISG Matchplay Championship Runner Up

- 2015 OOM3 Sandhurst B-Grade Winner and Long Drive winner

- 2015 ACGC National Final-  3rd Individual Aggregate,

- 2015 ACGC National Final-  NTP Day 1 Blue Course Hole 2, NTP Day 2 Green Course Hole 7

- 2015 OOM2 Settlers Run Runner Up

- 2015 OOM1 LeFrogge B Grade Long Drive Winner

- 2014 ISG Vic Annual Order of Merit- B Grade Winner and 3rd Overall 

- 2014 Auto Club Golf Championship- Regional Event KGC- Winner

- 2014 ISG Vic OOM#1@ Sanctuary Lakes GC- Winner 

- 2013 AFL Golf Championship @ Yarra Yarra GC- Winner

- 2013 Stink's 3 Club Challenge- Runner Up 

#33 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12719 posts
  • LocationThirteen point twenty-four warning points

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:38 PM

What about bowling, lawn bowls etc?? I'd think those are more comparable to putting and in those games you do look at your target.....

Except that you're not striking the lawn bowl or bowling ball to get it moving
  • Itchy4Scratch likes this
"But sometimes there are more important things in life than being pedantic about the rules of golf, or spelling and grammar on golf forums"

#34 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5451 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:46 PM

What bump said, i think its different when you're hitting a ball as the quality of the strike is very important.

That being said, im pretty sure snooker players look at the object ball and not the cue ball. But they are lined up completely differently and the action is not a swing.

#35 The Robinator

The Robinator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2914 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:52 PM

I've tried it on the putting green and I don't know why but when I do it I middle every one very sweetly. Haven't been game to do it during a comp round. Might try it when a round has gone bad already.

#36 ink

ink

another beer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34842 posts
  • Locationthe bar

Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:26 PM

I've tried it on the putting green and I don't know why but when I do it I middle every one very sweetly. Haven't been game to do it during a comp round. Might try it when a round has gone bad already.

So next round it is then

#37 Snappy McSnapperton

Snappy McSnapperton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1739 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 11:54 AM

Ink doesn't look at his balls while putting.  Thursday nights on the other hand are a completely different issue. 

If I can win an OOM anyone can. 

http://www.golflink....k_no=3012646041

#38 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12719 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:08 PM

Ink doesn't look at his balls while putting.  Thursday nights on the other hand are a completely different issue. 

and this right here is why dress standards should never be relaxed.

If Inky wasn't forced to wear long enough shorts, we'd all have to look at his balls 

"But sometimes there are more important things in life than being pedantic about the rules of golf, or spelling and grammar on golf forums"

#39 ink

ink

another beer

• Members
  • 34842 posts
  • Locationthe bar

Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:31 PM

and this right here is why dress standards should never be relaxed.
If Inky wasn't forced to wear long enough shorts, we'd all have to look at his balls

I thought shorts were optional

#40 ink

ink

another beer

• Members
  • 34842 posts
  • Locationthe bar

Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:31 PM

Ink doesn't look at his balls while putting. Thursday nights on the other hand are a completely different issue.

I don't want to know whose hands are on it

#41 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12719 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 02:27 PM

I thought shorts were optional

what are you tucking your shirt into, Superman?

#42 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1819 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 05:49 PM

IMO Looking at the target works for some or those who regularly use the method particularly because it stops the negative thoughts looking at the path the putter head is taking. .

You know the feeling..” oh the Club head going back a bit outside the line....the stroke is a bit outside to in that is not good” ( or whatever variation)
This stuff gets in the way of making a smooth confident putt. Doing the look at the hole/target you are giving up control to allow your “feel” to get the job done.
I recommend you gain confidence on the practice green from shortish distances up to 2 metres. Doing a lot from a metre or less is good. Aim at a very small target on the edge of the hole. Watch a lot of putts go in the hole. That gives confidence you can take to the course. Tell yourself “this putt is going in the hole” and just do it.
I think there is a practical limit to how far the distance “the look at the target” works. That is individual.
  • 333pg333 and *Mouldy like this

#43 snorkelguru

snorkelguru

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:56 PM

I started putting that way (not looking at the ball) and left hand low about a couple of years ago. Haven't looked back. It stops me from jabbing at the ball and a strong right hand. Has resulted in much better putting for mid to short putts. I take a practice swing or two to get the feel of how long the stroke needs to be, set up and then either look at the hole or the line where i want the ball to start breaking and repeat the practice stroke. On the longer putts where it is required to take a longer swing, I sometimes look at the ball as distance is probably a more important factor to control than precise direction. 

The key for me is consistent setup.

• 333pg333 likes this

http://www.golflink....k_No=5012901961

2015 OOM2 Settlers Run B Grade Long Drive Winner

2015 ISG 2Bbb NAGA (with littleman)

2016 OOM2 Gardiners Run A Grade Long Drive Winner

2016 OOM2 Gardiners Run A Grade NTP 

#44 333pg333

333pg333

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 04:59 PM

IMO Looking at the target works for some or those who regularly use the method particularly because it stops the negative thoughts looking at the path the putter head is taking. .

You know the feeling..” oh the Club head going back a bit outside the line....the stroke is a bit outside to in that is not good” ( or whatever variation)
This stuff gets in the way of making a smooth confident putt. Doing the look at the hole/target you are giving up control to allow your “feel” to get the job done.
I recommend you gain confidence on the practice green from shortish distances up to 2 metres. Doing a lot from a metre or less is good. Aim at a very small target on the edge of the hole. Watch a lot of putts go in the hole. That gives confidence you can take to the course. Tell yourself “this putt is going in the hole” and just do it.
I think there is a practical limit to how far the distance “the look at the target” works. That is individual.

Exactly. Well put...err..putt...Anyway, I agree and this is why I started doing this probably 10 years ago. Stopped doing it semi recently and have made some terrible putting errors that defy logic. Like a brief dose of Cerebral Palsy. Might have to switch back again. Wish I could get a comfortable Left Hand low grip too. This definitely gets the best roll on a ball IMHO.  

#45 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1819 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 08:21 PM

One thing on cross hand or left hand low. ...it is had to make a good stroke on long putts. I revert to standard grip. Apparently this is a common thing.
. On fast Greens like 11/12 on the STIMP cross hand is not so difficult on long putts but on typical courses in OZ it is hard to slog a long putt cross hand.
  • iRON MiCK likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users