9 replies to this topic

#1 Madambo

Madambo

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 12544 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 07:59 AM

Study shows you should look at your line on breaking putts, not at the ball

Spieth, widely considered one of the best putters on the PGA Tour, has a strange putting quirk, in which he often looks at the hole on short putts, instead of focusing on the ball and keeping his head down as most golfers do. Now a study out of Canada (h/t cbc.ca) is providing some scientific support for Jordan's technique.

A team of researchers St. Francis Xavier University in Nova Scotia, Canada, published a study in the International Journal of Golf Science that claims that, contrary to popular opinion, golfers have more putting success on breaking putts when they ignore their ball and instead maintain focus on where they want the ball to go, i.e. their target line.

The study consisted of 28 golfers who were challenged to make breaking putts of three lengths (6, 10 and 14 feet) using both techniques. The attempts in which the players focused on the putting line instead of the hole resulted in 3% more hole-outs.

That 3% could lead to a large improvement in a golfer's scores, as noted by one of the study's authors, Neil MacInnis, who said, "It doesn't sound like it's a big difference but if you think about it in golf terms… you're going to save one stroke a round and that's actually very meaningful for golfers."

http://www.golf.com/...erior-technique

• Jack_Golfer and Notupnotin like this

Join iseekgolf.com on Facebook

Follow iseekgolf.com on Twitter

For golf industry news.

#2 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12117 posts
  • LocationThirteen point twenty-four warning points

Posted 30 November 2017 - 08:28 AM

bringing that 87 down to an 86, wowsers!!

• The good Egg, Madambo, RobNewy and 1 other like this
"But sometimes there are more important things in life than being pedantic about the rules of golf, or spelling and grammar on golf forums"

#3 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40410 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 30 November 2017 - 01:29 PM

Looking at the hole isn't looking at target line if the ball is breaking? Especially if there's a lot of break you couldn't always see both the hole and the line from ball to hole at the same time.
  • BumpunRun and Jack_Golfer like this

Handicap

Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016

Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands

Goal: A round at par or better!

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Clubman of the Year

Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island

Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands

South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer

http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#4 bazinoz

bazinoz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2899 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 03:13 PM

"Now a study out of Canada "

Pfffft! Canada? Vested interest or what Mads? :D 

• Madambo and Ji Bao He like this

#5 ink

ink

another beer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33781 posts
  • Locationthe bar

Posted 30 November 2017 - 03:35 PM

It's this article that Spieth read and also one that I was shown when I started playing golf..

http://www.golf.com/...-putt-look-hole

#6 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4879 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 30 November 2017 - 03:39 PM

Excluding Spieth, is anyone who actually does this a good putter? 

• Francie likes this

#7 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12117 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 03:59 PM

Excluding Spieth, is anyone who actually does this a good putter? 

well there's Spieth and umm, there's maybe umm... yeah nope, not really anyone else.

my favourite analogy is when they say "you look at your target when you're throwing a ball" ... but, even Mouldy can't hit the same part on his putter face twice in a row while looking and concentrating on what he is hitting, how on Matthew Hayden's green earth can he consistently hit something he isn't concentrating on.

When you're throwing, the ball is in your hand, there is no requirement to hit the object you want to put in the hole.

I haven't read the study and will do so later on, but till then I call pish posh 

• koiom K Frenzy and Itchy4Scratch like this
"But sometimes there are more important things in life than being pedantic about the rules of golf, or spelling and grammar on golf forums"

#8 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4879 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 30 November 2017 - 04:18 PM

well there's Spieth and umm, there's maybe umm... yeah nope, not really anyone else.

my favourite analogy is when they say "you look at your target when you're throwing a ball" ... but, even Mouldy can't hit the same part on his putter face twice in a row while looking and concentrating on what he is hitting, how on Matthew Hayden's green earth can he consistently hit something he isn't concentrating on.
When you're throwing, the ball is in your hand, there is no requirement to hit the object you want to put in the hole.

I haven't read the study and will do so later on, but till then I call pish posh

You should try looking at the target when driving the ball, see how consistent your swing is.
  • Francie likes this

#9 The Gap Wedge Draw

The Gap Wedge Draw

I am a recovering shankaholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationIn the left rough on 7th 105m from pin

Posted 30 November 2017 - 04:34 PM

I didn't get many runouts either. My highest points score in basketball was 9. I've never got over 180 ten pin bowling. I'm the world's worst dart thrower.

Happy to ante up on the pool table though.
ShanklinkOOM TourI am mid table mediocrity !

National Tour
2017 Day 1 winner at Monash CC

Baconwide TourRunner up 2015 Stink's 3 club challenge at YarrambatNAGA with Benny 2014 4bbb Championship at St Andrews BeachTeam Mercedes with Muff runners up 2017 4bbb Chanpionship FlindersRunner up 2017 Southern InvitationalWinner 2017 Keysborough InvitationalChoppers TourWinner 2014 Ghetto's Placegetter Challenge at SunshineWinner 2015 Airy's invitational at Melbourne Airport<p>

#10 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12117 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 04:56 PM

I didn't get many runouts either. My highest points score in basketball was 9. I've never got over 180 ten pin bowling. I'm the world's worst dart thrower.

Happy to ante up on the pool table though.

I'm not sure what that means either, Tol?
  • koiom K Frenzy likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users