12 replies to this topic

#1 voss

voss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1617 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 06:22 PM

Bruce always look forward to your preview of important / major type events. It looks a pretty average field with the exception of the top 2 . Hard to go past Jordan and good luck to him. If Leish and Scott had made the effort it would have made for a greater event. Can you gauge the rest of the field and perhaps give us all some expert views and likely each way chances, ps: I like the chances of Michael Sim , just to mention :)

#2 upnin

upnin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1094 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 22 November 2017 - 07:05 PM

Bruce always look forward to your preview of important / major type events. It looks a pretty average field with the exception of the top 2 . Hard to go past Jordan and good luck to him. If Leish and Scott had made the effort it would have made for a greater event. Can you gauge the rest of the field and perhaps give us all some expert views and likely each way chances, ps: I like the chances of Michael Sim , just to mention :)

Would be great to see Michael back to his best. Hopefully he's now over the injuries which had been holding him back.

• voss likes this

#3 bruce

bruce

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3184 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 06:58 AM

https://iseekgolf.co...australian-open

sorry Vossy - have only just noticed this. Easy for me to make comments now I guess now we have reached the halfway stage but I am excited to see two of Australia's more talented amateurs now handling a demanding situation at this level. Davis was as you know a winner of the Australian Amateur and went close in a couple of Asia Pacific Amateur Championships and won the individual title at the Eisenhower. see yesterday's article

Herbert is one of the longest hitters in the game but is now learning how to harness that power and plot his way around the golf course. He played well last week and is an exciting talent.

Day, though, stands head and shoulders above his nearest chasers in terms of talent and experience. I would not count Spieth out just yet but it would seem to me that Day has this event to win or lose.  

• voss likes this

#4 voss

voss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1617 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 05:07 PM

Thanks Bruce. Herbert has a great future ahead , has a sensational short game as was witnessed today. Only a couple of course management mistakes cost him a great day.

Agree Jason is the man but it would be great to see some really solid finishing rounds from Herbert, Davis and Smith. Perhaps Jonas is the wild card, so cool and experienced. One player worthy of note has to be Craig Parry , what a great performance after 3 rounds.

#5 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33927 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 26 November 2017 - 03:48 PM

Wow....who saw that result??

Inaugural winner "Castlemaine" Vic ISG golf day 2009
Inaugural Victorian OOM Putting Champion - Long Island 2011
Inaugural ISG National Golf Champion - Queensland September 2012

Inaugural winner Casey Rotary Golf Day 2012 - Part of the 'Dream Team'
Hole In One - 7th Hole Portsea GC - 9/10/2012
Long drive "champion" - Stinks 3 club challenge - 22/9/2013

Shipwreck Coast Classic - B Grade Men Winner (Warrnambool) - 9/11/2013

Inaugural holder - ISG TBPNTHWAOOM trophy - 2015

Eagle - Par 4 - 18th at St. Andrews Beach - 1/9/2015​
Holder - Brass yacht trophy - 2015

Player of the Year (VPGC) - 2015

Winner - ISG Tombstone event - Lang Lang - 4/9/2016

Half of 4BBB Champion team with Commish - 2016 National Event

Half of winning finalist - Doubles Match-play team (VPGC) - 2016

​Team member - Winners of Australian ...... Matchplay Championship - 18/11/2016

Veterans Champion (VPGC) - 2016 

"If a foursome is pressing you, wave them through - and then speed up." - Deane Beman

http://www.golflink....k_No=3013311351

Lowest ever handicap - 7.5

#6 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22855 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 26 November 2017 - 03:58 PM

Great to see the young blokes coming on strong.
Well done Cameron.

#7 chevychase

chevychase

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 06:30 PM

Very ordinary display by Jason Day. The tournament was his to lose and he duly lost it. He’s got a LOT of work to do on the mental side of his game, not just his physical game, if he’s to reclaim the world number 1 ranking again.

#8 Theguru

Theguru

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 08:22 PM

Good decision by Ormsby to skip the Oz Open though

#9 voss

voss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1617 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 08:06 AM

Very ordinary display by Jason Day. The tournament was his to lose and he duly lost it. He’s got a LOT of work to do on the mental side of his game, not just his physical game, if he’s to reclaim the world number 1 ranking again.

Maybe, just maybe Jason would have nailed the Aussie Open with his former caddie. Picking up on some of his caddies comments yesterday left me wondering. Day appeared confused and continually put his short irons long past the pin. We all know it was a fluky breeze at the course but comments like "should we be changing ball flight here" would not have given him the confidence needed to execute.
  • chevychase likes this

#10 chevychase

chevychase

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 08:22 AM

Maybe, just maybe Jason would have nailed the Aussie Open with his former caddie. Picking up on some of his caddies comments yesterday left me wondering. Day appeared confused and continually put his short irons long past the pin. We all know it was a fluky breeze at the course but comments like "should we be changing ball flight here" would not have given him the confidence needed to execute.

Agree totally Vossy. I followed Alex Edge in the morning (good mates with his old man) and then Day and Herbert in the afternoon, and it was quite obvious there was a lot of doubt in relation to the type of shots and what club he needed to hit.
  • voss likes this

#11 Theguru

Theguru

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 08:27 AM

I’ve always thought that when Day changed caddie we’d see the player he really is

#12 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12117 posts
  • LocationThirteen point twenty-four warning points

Posted 27 November 2017 - 08:46 AM

do you mean that we'd see he's overrated?

I'm asking for a friend

• Goldy likes this
"But sometimes there are more important things in life than being pedantic about the rules of golf, or spelling and grammar on golf forums"

#13 Theguru

Theguru

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 09:57 AM

Nah, just that I think more than any other top line player he relied on Swatton for everything including on course swing tips. Don’t think any other player has their 1st coach on the bag as caddie...and also he’s basically a father to him.
Now it’s all just him, has to work everything out for himself.
I’m a fan, think he’s made a great life for himself having come from an underprivileged and somewhat abusive background but it will be interesting to see what happens from here
  • chevychase, voss and BumpunRun like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users