#61 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22855 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:27 PM

In the same way though, couldn’t a 1 hole competition be played to determine who will concede the match?

So I understand that you couldn’t play 1 hole of your 18 hole match and then have the loser of that first hole concede the remaining holes. But if a 1 hole comp is played at a different time and not in the allotted time spot of your match (as per the definitions of a stipulated round it can’t be defined as one and therefore shouldn’t be treated as one) and is done solely to determine who will concede the match, isn’t that more or less the same thing as a putting comp? Both involve golf and both take place on a golf course and both can’t be defined as a stipulated round as per the rules.

I guess my issue with the interpretation of this rule is that if you are going to allow a form of golfing competition to be played (eg: putting comp) to decide who will concede the match then I don’t agree that a 1 hole competition shouldn’t also be allowed as per the rules.

Your problem, Monty, is that you're trying to apply logic to a Rules situation.

I agree with your logic.

If a match result is to be obtained by some means other than actually playing a real match, and the players agree, how can there be a problem?

#62 rogolf

rogolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:37 PM

I have no further comment OBB.  Use whatever "rules or non-rules" you want, just explain them all on the first tee, tee off on time, keep up and don't bother to turn in your card.

• iRON MiCK likes this

#63 Monty85

Monty85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1447 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:38 PM

Perhaps you should check with the Rules Dept of Golf Australia.

So for argument sake lets accept that the 1 hole comp is not adhering to the rules of determining who will concede a match.

Would the following be acceptable forms of determining who will concede a match?

• Long drive comp
  • Nearest the pin comp
  • 18 hole comp at a different course
  • 18 hole comp (using only 3 clubs)
  • Looking at last weeks stableford scores and whoever had the lowest concedes
  • Using the stableford scores from a future comp (competitors aren’t in the same group) and lowest concedes.

Edited by Monty85, 08 December 2017 - 02:51 PM.

| GolfLink 

#64 rogolf

rogolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:51 PM

So for argument sake lets accept that the 1 hole comp is not adhering to the rules of determining who will concede a match.

Would the following be acceptable forms of determining who will concede a match?

• Long drive comp
  • Nearest the pin comp
  • 18 hole comp at a different course
  • 18 hole comp (using only 3 clubs)
  • Looking at last weeks stableford scores and whoever had the lowest concedes
  • Using the stableford scores from a future comp (competitors aren’t in the same group) and lowest concedes.

My interpretation to your questions based of the Rules and Decisions as to determine who will concede the match:

• Long drive comp - permitted, provided it's not during the stipulated round
  • Nearest the pin comp - permitted provided it's not during the stipulated round
  • 18 hole comp at a different course - not permitted unless the Committee approves
  • 18 hole comp (using only 3 clubs) - permitted if the competitors agree and it's on the correct course
  • Looking at last weeks stableford scores and whoever had the lowest concedes - permitted
  • Using the stableford scores from a future comp (competitors aren’t in the same group) and lowest concedes.- permitted

Not sure what your purpose is in all of this?  Regardless, my Rules input is complete.  Please feel free to carry on without my input.

Edited by rogolf, 08 December 2017 - 02:58 PM.

• Madambo likes this

#65 Monty85

Monty85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1447 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Posted 08 December 2017 - 11:36 PM

Not sure what your purpose is in all of this?  Regardless, my Rules input is complete.  Please feel free to carry on without my input.

I thought my purpose what obvious. 

Interesting that its possible to play a match on a different course with committee approval though? What decision does that come under?

| GolfLink 

#66 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2964 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 12:35 AM

If the committee have approved it, they have in effect changed the conditions of competition.

Edited by AAA, 09 December 2017 - 12:38 AM.

#67 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2213 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 10:13 AM

I'm still waiting for the OP to indicate whether the coin toss was before, during or after the due date ?

Jon...

• pom likes this

#68 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22855 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 10 December 2017 - 12:48 PM

Some topics just won't go away.

#69 RobNewy