68 replies to this topic

#1 GeoffDickson

GeoffDickson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 04:27 PM

I will paint the scenario as simply as i can.

Club matchplay championships. I win Round 1. All good.

I have great difficulty arranging Round 2 match. My opponent is unavailable to play the first weekend, because he elects to play in a tournament elsewhere. I am overseas working the next week, unable to play on the second Saturday, and the Sunday morning...but am willing to play the Sunday afternoon as soon as I fly back in.  Opponent again not available.  Round 2 match is supposed to be played by that Sunday.

Knowing that the Round 3 match needs to be completed by the following weekend (and it would be unfair on the R3 opponent to delay things), my R2 opponent and I flip a coin to see who progresses.  I win.

I play against R3 opponent.  I win.  R3 opponent contacts be 24hrs later to say that the club is going to DQ both myself and my R2 opponent because we did not complete our game "on time". There is no doubt that R3 opponent more than a little unhappy about losing, despite the R3 match being completed by the nominated date.  And there is no doubt he contacted one of his mates on the commitee to complain. If the R3 match had not been completed inside the nominated time frame, then I would be very comfortable with being DQd (given one of the players was available to play all week).

No conditions of completion ever published.  On the draw sheet, there are is a heading that matches must be completed by the nominated date.

So what are the rules here?

In addition to the rules, the overarching (or is it underpinning) issue here is, who is at fault when two golfers cannot organise their schedules to play  a game of match play golf.

#2 Tochakka

Tochakka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2628 posts
  • LocationIn the pines in the pines where the sun don't shine

Posted 18 November 2017 - 04:35 PM

I think you and your opponent in round2 did the fair thing and “completed” your game by the due date.
Round 3 opponent sounds like he is sooking.

#3 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40410 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 18 November 2017 - 05:03 PM

I'll be interested to see what the rules gurus say but since you can concede a hole in Matchplay I'd have thought you can equally concede a match

Handicap

Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016

Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands

Goal: A round at par or better!

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Clubman of the Year

Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island

Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands

South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer

http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#4 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4879 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 18 November 2017 - 05:09 PM

Decision 2-4/21 covers it pretty well, even though the question isnt exactly the same as OP asked.

There is nothing in the Rules of Golf to prohibit players from agreeing to a method of determining which side will concede a match. However, in view of the intention of Rule 1-3 (Agreement to Waive Rules), if players agree to play a match other than in the form prescribed in the conditions of the competition in order to decide which side will concede, both sides should be disqualified under Rule 1-3 for agreeing to exclude the operation of a condition of competition (Rule 33-1).

If the players agree to use some other method which does not involve playing a match to determine which side will concede, such as a putting competition, tossing a coin, etc., they are not considered to be in breach of Rule 1-3.
  • iRON MiCK likes this

#5 The Robinator

The Robinator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2793 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 04:26 AM

Should have to play on the date nominated by the club, if you can't commit then don't enter the competition. 

#6 GeoffDickson

GeoffDickson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 05:10 AM

Should have to play on the date nominated by the club, if you can't commit then don't enter the competition. 

Sure...but there is a difference between "completed by..." and "completed on..." a particular date.  In my circumstances, it was the latter.

Both R2 opponents were able to commit, but not just at the same time. Sometimes you only realise the latter much later in the process.

#7 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11710 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 19 November 2017 - 09:29 AM

Decision 2-4/21 covers it pretty well, even though the question isnt exactly the same as OP asked.

There is nothing in the Rules of Golf to prohibit players from agreeing to a method of determining which side will concede a match. However, in view of the intention of Rule 1-3 (Agreement to Waive Rules), if players agree to play a match other than in the form prescribed in the conditions of the competition in order to decide which side will concede, both sides should be disqualified under Rule 1-3 for agreeing to exclude the operation of a condition of competition (Rule 33-1).

If the players agree to use some other method which does not involve playing a match to determine which side will concede, such as a putting competition, tossing a coin, etc., they are not considered to be in breach of Rule 1-3.

Take a rule book to the committee & ask them why you  are being DQd. If they give the same answer show them the rule then ask the question again.

Member of the Vision Test Pilot Project.
No VTPP11

#8 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1691 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 10:13 AM

Take a rule book to the committee & ask them why you  are being DQd. If they give the same answer show them the rule then ask the question again.

I would direct the Committee to the Decision. It is patently clear they made a bad “ruling”.
If they stall or seem to not understand request they refer the matter to the State Association.

#9 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2213 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 11:22 AM

Because both you and your opponent from the round 2 match couldn't play a match within the given time frame, then the solution of tossing a coin to decide a winner might have been better if sanctioned by the match committee.

The match committee probably would have come up with a different solution to the impasse.

If either of you in the second round match would have conceded and given a W/O to the other that would have been fine.

Or one of you just books in, on or before the cutoff date and stands on the first tee ( regardless of playing or not ) to claim the match, when your opponent doesn't turn, you're thru to the next round.

By not playing the 2nd round match by the given date and then flipping a coin to decide an outcome makes it look like you have both conspired to use a different method to decide the winner.

I'd like to know if your 3rd round opponent was aware of what had transpired beforehand in advance of playing the match against him ?

Unfortunately, I think you have a case to answer for and it's not in the affirmative and the rule book won't be able to help you !

Jon...    

#10 rogolf

rogolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 01:44 PM

Because both you and your opponent from the round 2 match couldn't play a match within the given time frame, then the solution of tossing a coin to decide a winner might have been better if sanctioned by the match committee.

The match committee probably would have come up with a different solution to the impasse.

If either of you in the second round match would have conceded and given a W/O to the other that would have been fine.

Or one of you just books in, on or before the cutoff date and stands on the first tee ( regardless of playing or not ) to claim the match, when your opponent doesn't turn, you're thru to the next round.

By not playing the 2nd round match by the given date and then flipping a coin to decide an outcome makes it look like you have both conspired to use a different method to decide the winner.

I'd like to know if your 3rd round opponent was aware of what had transpired beforehand in advance of playing the match against him ?

Unfortunately, I think you have a case to answer for and it's not in the affirmative and the rule book won't be able to help you !

Jon...    

I think you should look at post #4 and the Decision quoted therein.  Tossing a coin is an acceptable outcome even without Committee approval.

• pom and Madambo like this

#11 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Arnie's Army

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10948 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 19 November 2017 - 08:58 PM

If the 2nd round opponent contends that he didn't concede the match after losing the coin toss then that is a reason for the DQ.

Billionaire Genius Playboy Philanthropist NAGA

2017 VIC ISG OOM Champion

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3023100698

"Team Frank" founding member

#12 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2964 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 01:52 AM

If the 2nd round opponent contends that he didn't concede the match after losing the coin toss then that is a reason for the DQ.

I don't understand that.

If both players agreed to the coin toss how can one say he hadn't conceded?

Are you suggesting that one player decided to toss a coin without the other's agreement or knowledge?

#13 Goldy

Goldy

Got any Greek in you?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36486 posts
  • LocationWant some?

Posted 20 November 2017 - 05:34 AM

He doesn't know what he's suggesting.

It's part of his charm.
  • BarnEsy05, iRON MiCK and koiom K Frenzy like this

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015 | Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid / Srixon AD333 ball | Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole Kooindah Waters 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.
Goldlink

#14 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2213 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 12:19 PM

GD, when did you two get together to toss the coin ?
Jon...

#15 ColinCL

ColinCL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 22 November 2017 - 06:43 AM

GD, when did you two get together to toss the coin ?
Jon...

A good question.  If the coin tossing took place after the deadline, I would say that the match had not been "played" in time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users