39 replies to this topic

#1 GeoffDickson

GeoffDickson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 05:09 PM

I am moving to Melbourne in February next year.  I have already started to do my homework on clubs near where I am likely to live and work.    

This has lead me to the Yarra Valley courses - Green Acres, Rosanna, Kew, Heldelberg, and La Trobe.  

I have read their annual reports....

A few of the clubs have spent a lot of money to improve the drainage? Is it working? What course still struggles the most with wet weather?

Should Heidelberg be nervous about the proposed North East link?

I am no financial guru...but Green Acres, Rosanna, Kew, and La Trobe all seem to have plenty of money in the bank.

Heidelberg does not have much money in the bank but seem to be the only club that actually own their land. 

What other questions should I be asking?

• Joe79 likes this

#2 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Moss Effect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14123 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 12 November 2017 - 05:21 PM

Where the Yarra Valley actually is.
  • RobNewy, Goldy, 75@Dorset and 1 other like this

18.4 by Dec. 2018

2018 Keysborough GC Gala Team Event Winner

2017 VIC ISG OOM Overall Winner

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Overall Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407931

"Team Frank" founding member

#3 Joe79

Joe79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3025 posts
  • LocationVic (Metro North)

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:29 AM

Hi Geoff,

What Mick means is the Yarra Valley courses are Eastern, yering meadows etc.

The clubs you mentioned are nowhere near the yarra valley :)

As for the clubs, I am a member out at Heidelberg. The course is in great condition and is fantastic greens (some will attest to on here). The greens are better in winter.

As for the drainage, the works they have completed so far has been great and resolved some of the issues they have had in catchment spots. But there is still areas that are wet and muddy that cant be avoided with being such a hilly course.

But as an overall and for the price point (especially if under 40) and no joining fee with the others around it is hard to beat.

I cant speak on the other courses as I haven't played them at all (although I have reciprocals) as I just haven't had a chance. Those that have say they are great courses and in great condition as well but you also pay for it too.

OOM 4 2017 Moonah Open C Grade and Overall Winner - 39pts

OOM 1 2018 Growling Frog B Grade and Overall Winner - 40pts

Cap: 15.4 Gamegolf

WITB:

Primary: X2 Hot Pro 8.5 on Kuro Kage Silver TiNi Stiff | Big Bertha 3W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Big Bertha 5W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Wilson Staff FG Tour 3I on Project X 5.5 | Mizuno MP 54 4-PW on Project X 5.5 Stiff Shafts | Mack Daddy 2 56* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 60* bent to 58* | Odyssey Works Metal-X #1 (2013) |

Spare: Big Bertha Mini on Aldila Tour Green Shaft | Great Big Bertha 3W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Great Big Bertha 5W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Cally X Forged 13's on Project X PXi 6.0 Steel shafts 3-PW | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 52* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 56* bent to 58* | Odyssey Metal X Milled #1 |

#4 GeoffDickson

GeoffDickson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:01 AM

Thanks Short Putt Man.  Looks like I had "Yarra Valley" and "Yarra River" confused.

So Heidelberg is "good value for money"?

• Joe79 likes this

#5 Snappy McSnapperton

Snappy McSnapperton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1835 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:20 AM

Heidelberg's good if you're in that neck of the woods.  Drainage issues have improved.  Short putt man will chain himself to the fence if the freeway gets routed through there so that will never happen. 

I'm at Northern which is in great nick these days and building a new clubhouse.  I can get you on for a look if you'd like.  It's pretty easy to get to if you don't end up living too far east. 

• Joe79 likes this

If I can win an OOM anyone can. 

http://www.golflink....k_no=3012646041

#6 Joe79

Joe79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3025 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 12:15 PM

Thanks Short Putt Man.  Looks like I had "Yarra Valley" and "Yarra River" confused.

So Heidelberg is "good value for money"?

Yes I believe so. Hard to beat no joining fee and then a solid 7 to 8 months of good golf and great fairways and greens.

Then with around 4 months of wet areas at bottom of hills and run offs. Drainage works have made it better as Snappy said. But I (and many members) feel the greens run quicker in winter.

Im off golf for the time being, but hopefully be back playing by Feb so could get you on for a round as well once here and go through the areas that are wet during winter and so on.

As for the freeway, If they go ahead with Option B then yes Heidelberg will be folded as it runs above ground and follows the powerlines so this will be right through the heart of the course from my understanding. The other 3 will not impact it. At this stage it sounds like A or C will be the one that gets up.

Worse case scenario on the freeway or even if you aren't happy there is no joining fee so you don't lose much if you decide to leave after 12 months.

WITB:

Primary: X2 Hot Pro 8.5 on Kuro Kage Silver TiNi Stiff | Big Bertha 3W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Big Bertha 5W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Wilson Staff FG Tour 3I on Project X 5.5 | Mizuno MP 54 4-PW on Project X 5.5 Stiff Shafts | Mack Daddy 2 56* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 60* bent to 58* | Odyssey Works Metal-X #1 (2013) |

Spare: Big Bertha Mini on Aldila Tour Green Shaft | Great Big Bertha 3W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Great Big Bertha 5W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Cally X Forged 13's on Project X PXi 6.0 Steel shafts 3-PW | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 52* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 56* bent to 58* | Odyssey Metal X Milled #1 |

#7 Joe79

Joe79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3025 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 12:18 PM

Heidelberg's good if you're in that neck of the woods.  Drainage issues have improved.  Short putt man will chain himself to the fence if the freeway gets routed through there so that will never happen. 

I'm at Northern which is in great nick these days and building a new clubhouse.  I can get you on for a look if you'd like.  It's pretty easy to get to if you don't end up living too far east. 

Lol not far from it. TBH if it ends up going, I may end up giving away a membership for a few years as things have changed and wont be able to afford anywhere else.

Will keep the cap via social one etc but just play here and there. Maybe pay as play member at berg or go back to Bat or find a public course with cheap month to month.

WITB:

#8 GeoffDickson

GeoffDickson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 05:55 PM

Thanks for letting me know about Northern...I will look into it.

#9 madness

madness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:47 PM

I am moving to Melbourne in February next year.  I have already started to do my homework on clubs near where I am likely to live and work.    

This has lead me to the Yarra Valley courses - Green Acres, Rosanna, Kew, Heldelberg, and La Trobe.  

I have read their annual reports....

A few of the clubs have spent a lot of money to improve the drainage? Is it working? What course still struggles the most with wet weather?

Should Heidelberg be nervous about the proposed North East link?

I am no financial guru...but Green Acres, Rosanna, Kew, and La Trobe all seem to have plenty of money in the bank.

Heidelberg does not have much money in the bank but seem to be the only club that actually own their land. 

What other questions should I be asking?

Been a while since I played them but I think they are all decent golf courses without being exceptional and if I lived in the area I'd be happy to frequent any of them. Heidelberg is built on the side of a mountain so is a tough walk whereas the others are all built on floodplains so are pretty flat. Kew, Green Acres and La Trobe will go under water on the rare occassion when their is days and days of rain. I remember about 8 or 9 years ago they were closed for a few weeks. I also think clubs have a culture and sometimes a person just fits. As an outsider my take would be that Kew is the money club, Green Acres would like to think it is the money club while La Trobe, Rosanna and Heidelberg are comfortable middle class. Before Eastern moved it was often referred to as the club you join when you can't get in to Kew or Green Acres. Which side of the river makes a difference as the traffic can be horrendous in that area. Wouldn't make a difference on Saturday or Sunday morning but if you wanted to play after work it might mean 5 holes instead of 9 holes. The pro at La Trobe started up the premier league concept if that helps. Given that I don't think any of them have a standout golf course your enjoyment will probably be decided by affordability, convenience or culture.

• Madam likes this

#10 GeoffDickson

GeoffDickson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 05:43 PM

Thanks Madness...so from which side of the river is it easiest to access these courses?

• Madam likes this

#11 Kiwi

Kiwi

Wholly Awesomeness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23882 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 05:59 PM

I have played Latrobe Green acres and the berg.

they are called the muddies due to river flooding (excluding the berg)

not a fan of GA (green acres) as the mature gums grow close to the greens and the grass coverage suffers. cons - no full driving range just short game area.

plenty of warm up nets.

the berg is hilly yeah but is always improving drainage.

a good test of golf. Cons - No full driving range, short game area not as good as GA. Has a small range and chipping area but is a bit of a walk from the clubhouse.

Latrobe, nice mature course with a good layout. Has a short range and a good short game area.

all have reciprocal rights with each other

• Joe79 and madness like this
Half the Trentham dream team

#12 madness

madness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 07:20 PM

Thanks Madness...so from which side of the river is it easiest to access these courses?

Green Acres and Kew are north of the Eastern Freeway but you access them from south of the freeway so Kew, Balwyn, Doncaster, Hawthorn are easy suburbs to get to those courses. You can actually hit a ball from La Trobe on to Green Acres but they are opposite sides of the river and freeway so Ivanhoe, Northcote, Alphington and North of that are the easiest suburbs to get to La Trobe. Rosanna and Heidelberg are a bit further North so the traffic lessens a little bit. I've been stuck in slow moving car parks on the Chandler Hwy and Burke Rd many times. I've always really liked Rosanna. It's nothing special as a golf course but it's surrounded by large acreages and parklands and it doesn't feel like your in the suburbs. It's just a nice peaceful place to play golf. Even though I like to play well and appreciate a golf course full of strategy I'm greatly influenced by the setting when I think about my favourite golf courses. I hate houses and roads that are too close to the course. 

• GeoffDickson and iRON MiCK like this

#13 GeoffDickson

GeoffDickson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 01:52 PM

Do any of the clubs include range balls in the membership fee?

Edited by GeoffDickson, 25 November 2017 - 01:53 PM.

#14 Kiwi

Kiwi

Wholly Awesomeness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23882 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 08:43 AM

Do any of the clubs include range balls in the membership fee?

No mate.
$10 for a 100 at northern
Not sure the berg? $6 for 30
Latrobe and green/a hit your own then pick up

Edited by Kiwi, 26 November 2017 - 08:46 AM.

• Joe79 likes this
Half the Trentham dream team

#15 Snappy McSnapperton

Snappy McSnapperton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1835 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 09:24 AM

No mate.
$10 for a 100 at northern
Not sure the berg? $6 for 30
Latrobe and green/a hit your own then pick up

We’re going to do a platinum class membership next year that includes ball and comp fees
  • Kiwi likes this

If I can win an OOM anyone can. 

http://www.golflink....k_no=3012646041

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users