54 replies to this topic

#46 Kiwi

Kiwi

Wholly Awesomeness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23879 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 08:33 PM

I'm sorry, I'm relatively new to the jargon of experienced comp players. My understanding of the words bandit and burglar are calling people cheaters? My best guess based on google searches is the golfing equal to sandbagging, but I would be lying if I knew that was the absolute definition. If I'm right, its a huge compliment towards me and taken as such.

If the only enjoyment someone has during their lives is when they are trying to put down others, so be it. Not my style.

Life is far too short to care what other people think about you.

I never for one called you a cheat, sandbagger or a bandit.
I just asked if your good score of 76 was in a comp
(so your handicap would reflect your improvement)

As the question wasn't answered
I feel the Comunity here may be (rightly or wrongly) judging you as a bandit.
Don't think anyone Actually called you a cheat.
GCG
now he's a cheat....
  • Goldy likes this
Half the Trentham dream team

#47 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Moss Effect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13644 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 06 November 2017 - 08:57 PM

Confuscious say, if everyone thinks you're a chunt, chances are, you're a chunt.

Munt. He said munt.

18.4 by Dec. 2018

2018 Keysborough GC Gala Team Event Winner

2017 VIC ISG OOM Overall Winner

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Overall Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407931

"Team Frank" founding member

#48 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Moss Effect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13644 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 06 November 2017 - 08:58 PM

Ease up Papa. It's all going to work itself out on Sunday.

18.4 by Dec. 2018

2018 Keysborough GC Gala Team Event Winner

2017 VIC ISG OOM Overall Winner

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Overall Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407931

"Team Frank" founding member

#49 koiom K Frenzy

koiom K Frenzy

Anyone for a Cuppa?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11507 posts
  • LocationJDM heaven

Posted 06 November 2017 - 08:58 PM

Munt. He said munt.

Oh crap, I'm not good with accents
  • Kiwi likes this

http://www.golf.org....icap/3011891841

2012 Curlewis OOM#5 A Grade NTP
2013 Beaconhills Invitational Classic 3rd Place
2013 Stink 3 Club Challenge NAGA
2014 Heritage OOM#3 A Grade Winner
2014 Heritage OOM#3 A Grade NTP
2014 Bendigo Slog Pairs Winner with Ghetto
2014 Vic ISG Matchplay Runner Up
2015 Vic ISG Matchplay Semi Finalist
2016 Keysborough GC April Medal Winner
2016 ISG Race to 6 Winner
2017 Torquay OOM#3 A Grade Winner
2017 Moonah OOM#4 A Grade Runner Up
2017 Overall A Grade OOM Winner

2017 Overall All Grade OOM Runner Up

2018 Bacon Wide Tour Keysie Invitational Winner
Have never been beaten by Mick off the stick

#50 Commish

Commish

No Rhyme Nor Reason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14024 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:37 AM

I do like that people who I have had no previous interactions with have an opinion on how much I have improved this year. I guess you're no one unless you're spoken about. I actually take alot of pride in the fact that some regard my genuine improvement as so unbelievable, that I must be cheating. One of the biggest compliments one could possibly receive and taken as such.

Thanks for the encouragement, and good luck with the purchase of your game improvement irons, I hope it helps your game in the future!

I bought "easy to hit" irons within the category of my handicap and struggled. I then bought irons that were targeted at better players, had them fitted properly, practiced and trained and got coaching and cut 14 strokes within 6 months of the change. Just yesterday within my first year of getting a golf link handicap, I shot a 4 over 76 off the stick.

Perhaps if you went into a bit more detail and explained the steps involved from buying easy to hit irons through to the 76 off the stick, those on here who are agog at your achievement may understand where you are coming from.  At present all we see is a bloke that played average golf and wanted to improve.  So he got fitted, practised, trained, got coached over a 6 month period and dropped 14 strokes. There are probably 100 guys on here that fit that description.

What was the consistency of your improvement?  I had a game last Monday and again yesterday with the same set of clubs.  Dropped 7 strokes in a week without any fitting, practice, coaching or anything else. (apart from only having 4 beers during the round instead of 6)

My point is.... You cut 14 strokes in 6 mths.  What were you consistently shooting prior to that drop of 14 strokes?   How long had you been playing?  What was your handicap when you were using the 'easy to hit' irons.  How long were you using them before getting fitted, coached, trained etc?  Did your handicap go up or down during that period?  Did you in fact have a handicap during that period?  Did you do any training or were you coached during that period?  

Congrats on shooting a 4 over 76 of the stick in the 1st year of having a hancicap.  

I note that you have won C Grade in the two OOM's you have participated in with 42 pts and then 40 pts.  Yet here you are shooting 76 on a Par 72 course just 6 weeks after your last C Grade win.  Remarkable achievement.  Hope you can keep it up.  

It has been suggested that you may be a bandit/burglar... sandbagger... No one has called you a cheat, but you chose to draw that analogy.  I as a C Grader off 18.7 and I would suggest the majority of other B & C Graders on here would like to know how you  managed to shoot 42 pts in June off a handicap I am unaware of, played comp rounds in between the next OOM in September, all the time improving according to your post, but managed to stay in C Grade again and shoot 40 pts, then continued on and shot a 76 off the stick, in what may or may not have been a comp round.  What was your handicap at the start of this miraculous journey and what is it now. 

These little things may assist in the vast majority understanding where you are coming from.  But in the mean time... seems you are a bandit. 

• Kiwi, RobNewy, Francie and 2 others like this
The key to success is to learn to do something right, then do it right every time. Oh I wish.....
Three time winner of the treasured WBT.
2012 ISG National Champs 2nd Round winner @ Robina Woods
2013 ISG National Champs 1st Round winner @ 'The Dunes'
2014 ISG National Champs - Top 10 finish - Played like a girl - MUNT GOLFER
2015 ISG National Champs - Deservedly crowned the National N.A.G.A.
2016 ISG National Champs 4BBB champion with Francie
2017 ISG National Champs - I was there and the only thing that saved me was more BEER.
Hole in One - Rosnay GC, 157 metre Par 3 - 27th February 2015

http://www.golflink....k_no=2030804409

#51 PapaBravo

PapaBravo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Victoria

Posted 07 November 2017 - 11:26 AM

Perhaps if you went into a bit more detail and explained the steps involved from buying easy to hit irons through to the 76 off the stick, those on here who are agog at your achievement may understand where you are coming from.  At present all we see is a bloke that played average golf and wanted to improve.  So he got fitted, practised, trained, got coached over a 6 month period and dropped 14 strokes. There are probably 100 guys on here that fit that description.

What was the consistency of your improvement?  I had a game last Monday and again yesterday with the same set of clubs.  Dropped 7 strokes in a week without any fitting, practice, coaching or anything else. (apart from only having 4 beers during the round instead of 6)

My point is.... You cut 14 strokes in 6 mths.  What were you consistently shooting prior to that drop of 14 strokes?   How long had you been playing?  What was your handicap when you were using the 'easy to hit' irons.  How long were you using them before getting fitted, coached, trained etc?  Did your handicap go up or down during that period?  Did you in fact have a handicap during that period?  Did you do any training or were you coached during that period?  

Congrats on shooting a 4 over 76 of the stick in the 1st year of having a hancicap.  

I note that you have won C Grade in the two OOM's you have participated in with 42 pts and then 40 pts.  Yet here you are shooting 76 on a Par 72 course just 6 weeks after your last C Grade win.  Remarkable achievement.  Hope you can keep it up.  

It has been suggested that you may be a bandit/burglar... sandbagger... No one has called you a cheat, but you chose to draw that analogy.  I as a C Grader off 18.7 and I would suggest the majority of other B & C Graders on here would like to know how you  managed to shoot 42 pts in June off a handicap I am unaware of, played comp rounds in between the next OOM in September, all the time improving according to your post, but managed to stay in C Grade again and shoot 40 pts, then continued on and shot a 76 off the stick, in what may or may not have been a comp round.  What was your handicap at the start of this miraculous journey and what is it now. 

These little things may assist in the vast majority understanding where you are coming from.  But in the mean time... seems you are a bandit. 

Thanks man, means alot.

I will add though, you know how golf struggles to convert social golfers into competitive golfers. Pretty sure this barrage against me is probably one of the many reasons. I thought this year I would give comp golf a go. Guess if this is the response from the general community, maybe it just isn't worth the effort. Had no idea new golfers were subject to this kind of treatment.

I joined comp so I could play the OOM specifically for this site. It wouldn't have mattered to me if I finished last place every event I was looking forward to the new experience. I don't play comp rounds every weekend because logistically its too hard. I made the effort to get in a couple more handicap rounds to bring it down as far as I could before the next event.

I even questioned my handicap with organisers before the last event in an attempt to get it adjusted to more accurately reflect my improvement this year in social rounds. Infact, I even gave away the prizes I won in the last event to the second place finisher. Not sure what more I can do in that regard.

It's currently around 11, and if I had to guess I would put it around 8 if I was capable of playing comp every week. Considering I was only just breaking 100's in January, I consider it a pretty good achievement. I would love to play more comp, but the early hour starts are very difficult.

I'm actually feeling sorry that I bothered to try and support the OOM's for the site. Seems like all I have done is upset the regular niche crowd. The next event was probably going to be my last golf round before major knee surgery for some time, and now I'm not even looking forward to it with the hostility shown. I never thought I would say that I wasn't looking forward to my next round, but congrats, you guys have achieved that.

2 sessions a week at the range, 2 hours a week putting practice, 1 hour chipping practice, coaching, new fitted gear, and an understanding of the impact of decent golf balls. Simulator session an hours drive away once a fortnight to understand distances and spin with every club in my bag. Traveling to all corners of the state to experience new courses, Countless hours dedicated to becoming a student of the game to be outright abused by people on an online forum.

Put me off scratch for the next event if my dedication to learning the game offends you. I hope for the sake of other players thinking about joining into next years OOM they skip this thread, because if someone as dedicated as I am is losing interest in participating in the future, I would hate to see what opinions they will form if they are on the fence.

I had no idea handicap golfers were so nasty. Cheer up!

oh and on edit. As far as I'm concerned sandbagging is cheating. Not sure how anyone could see something like that and not call it cheating. To deliberately play worse than what you are capable of to achieve an unfair advantage is cheating. I have never, and will never ever ever ever ever play worse deliberately to have a higher handicap. Having that mentality is the 2nd quickest way to mediocrity in life, following closely behind excuses and belittling others for your own shortfalls.

Edited by PapaBravo, 07 November 2017 - 11:51 AM.

• OldBogey likes this

Whether you think you can, or think you cannot, either way you're probably right...

#52 MaxxOn

MaxxOn

On Top

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20172 posts
  • LocationThe Burrow

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:59 PM

• RobNewy and Goldy like this

#53 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38503 posts
  • Location20m closer than you expected

Posted 07 November 2017 - 01:00 PM

I wonder if the OP managed to sort out his new irons?

• koiom K Frenzy and MaxxOn like this

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015 | Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid / Srixon AD333 ball | Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole Kooindah Waters 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 26/12/17, 15th hole, Callaway BB Alpha, HOF Patriot shaft, same old testicles of steel

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.
Goldlink

#54 ink

ink

Pawsome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35173 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 01:17 PM

He should get fitted