#16 Monty85

Monty85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1581 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Posted 08 June 2018 - 01:18 PM

From a Pennant point of view, I absolutely don't want my opponent to play well, the worse the better, but I always expect them to play exceptionally well, and if they've hit a good shot or putt I'll generally always give them the "shot" "putt" etc. I've always found most of my opponents much the same, you get the odd wanker who doesn't tip the hat to anything and doesn't talk but that's fine, horses for courses, on the whole most people are respectful and decent.

Yep, pretty much the case i've found with most players i've come accross as well. Plenty of idiots out there taking life too seriously, but for the most past, most guys want to win and will gladly take you playing badly to get the W, but they will also acknowledge good shots/play.

My regular weekend group though. I have two different directions i take. As I play with the same group of guys most weeks I always want them to play well. However, the flip side to this is if they are having a shocker I do enjoy having a laugh at their expense watching then play their 5th shot still behind the ladies tees, etc.

• Schmuck likes this

| GolfLink 

#17 okitoki

okitoki

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 01:36 PM

I'm sort of a beginner golfer, and when my handicap was a little higher in the 20s, my iron shots were pretty good, but the driving and putting were pretty average to below par (or the other way around)

Anyway, I played with this guy a few times, and everytime I managed to bomb a decent drive or an iron shot, he would always make a comment "Oh, you playing of 23 and hit like that? I should report you!", or he will egg on other players to make similar comments...  he may be joking about it, but after more than a few times, the joke is wearing thin... or he was just trying to screw up my mental game.... 

So he was one of those people I don't like to play with, as I like to enjoy my game.

However, I have met a few older players, and one seems to be always happy to play or just even see me... and he always seems to be happy when I hit a good shot, or have a good game... 

Even on bad games, he would just have a good laugh with me about it.... 

Now thats a golfer I enjoy playing or competing with.

• Madam, Monty85, Tochakka and 1 other like this

#18 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5253 posts
  • LocationProbably at work

Posted 08 June 2018 - 04:55 PM

Yep I’ve had the same thing. I can play good golf for a few holes then crash and burn.
Real tiresome.
http://www.golf.org....icap/4070201550
What can possibly go wrong?

#19 hack2489

hack2489

WTF, I can change this now?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1455 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 09 June 2018 - 10:50 AM

I'm sort of a beginner golfer, and when my handicap was a little higher in the 20s, my iron shots were pretty good, but the driving and putting were pretty average to below par (or the other way around)

Anyway, I played with this guy a few times, and everytime I managed to bomb a decent drive or an iron shot, he would always make a comment "Oh, you playing of 23 and hit like that? I should report you!"...

That's what I'd say to encourage you, anyone, along with, 'oh, that's why you're off 23' after you hit a bad shot.

I'd also be saying, 'nice shot', 'good shot', too and if I saw you getting despondent, would offer some comments like 'remember those good shots' or 'dont worry we've all been there'

#20 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Moss Effect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13627 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 09 June 2018 - 11:12 AM

I prefer silence when the crap happens. It allows me to refocus and get to the next shot.
Anything else and you may find that I have a few choice words of encouragement that you were not expecting. (Jiminy found out the hard way).

18.4 by Dec. 2018

2018 Keysborough GC Gala Team Event Winner

2017 VIC ISG OOM Overall Winner

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Overall Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407931

"Team Frank" founding member

#21 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13073 posts
  • LocationThirteen point twenty-four warning points

Posted 09 June 2018 - 12:23 PM

I hope he lol'd out loud back at you, that would have been hilarious to see you blow up at someone, especially Jiminy for giving you encouragement 'when' the crap happens 

• Schmuck and hack2489 like this
"But sometimes there are more important things in life than being pedantic about the rules of golf, or spelling and grammar on golf forums"

#22 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10181 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 09 June 2018 - 12:35 PM

I prefer silence when the crap happens. It allows me to refocus and get to the next shot.
Anything else and you may find that I have a few choice words of encouragement that you were not expecting. (Jiminy found out the hard way).

I prefer to laugh at you as you implode. It's more fun that way.
  • Francie and hack2489 like this
Because some idiots complain that my sig is too large:
th_Ghettobanner_zpsik8air89.jpg

Golflink: http://www.golf.org....icap/3013502329

#23 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5565 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 09 June 2018 - 12:42 PM

That's what I'd say to encourage you, anyone, along with, 'oh, that's why you're off 23' after you hit a bad shot.

I'd also be saying, 'nice shot', 'good shot', too and if I saw you getting despondent, would offer some comments like 'remember those good shots' or 'dont worry we've all been there'

If you said **** like that to me more than once in a round you would be in imminent physical danger
  • MaxxOn likes this

#24 MaxxOn

MaxxOn

On Top

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20172 posts
  • LocationThe Burrow

Posted 09 June 2018 - 01:07 PM

If you said **** like that to me more than once in a round you would be in imminent physical danger

I’d need a big fat spliff to deal with karnts like that.

#25 hack2489

hack2489

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1455 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 09 June 2018 - 01:15 PM

Don't worry, I've got a bag full of things I can and would say. Seeing the anger just makes it all the more fun.

Physical threats would be treated with the contempt they deserve.

#26 hack2489

hack2489

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1455 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 09 June 2018 - 01:16 PM

Probably a link there between golfing performance and mental approach, mental control.

#27 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5565 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 09 June 2018 - 01:22 PM

I’d need a big fat spliff to deal with karnts like that.

"At least you got your 2 points" after missing a 4 foot birdie putt.
  • MaxxOn likes this

#28 MaxxOn

MaxxOn

On Top

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20172 posts
  • LocationThe Burrow

Posted 09 June 2018 - 01:27 PM

"At least you got your 2 points" after missing a 4 foot birdie putt.

Nothing like choppers with no golf or sledging game trying to give it to you.
  • Itchy4Scratch likes this

#29 MaxxOn

MaxxOn

On Top

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20172 posts
  • LocationThe Burrow

Posted 09 June 2018 - 01:31 PM

I love sledging and being sledged, I wouldn’t enjoy playing without it. Problem is most people have no sledging game or no sense of timing.

Probably why my list of people I’ll never play with is so long.
  • GhettoGolfer and Monty85 like this

#30 Schmuck

Schmuck

B grade Chopper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10829 posts
  • Location1 club shorter

Posted 09 June 2018 - 05:07 PM

Pennants aside (not appicable), I generally truly enjoy fellow plyers good golf.
Positive flows on and back.....
With regular mates, some banter and sledging is common, but good golf is still granted & complimented.
Its such a shhit hard game with bad breaks, I figure we all help each other.
  • Weetbix, Monty85, madness and 1 other like this
Nothing makes sense, except GOATS, they ALWAYS make sense

Ever noticed that Ducks swagger?

I am only half trying

"Be brave if you lose and meek if you win"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users