#16 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22855 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 13 October 2017 - 06:00 PM

So glad Im not confused......I mean confused.....i think...no,im sure...um ,not sure if i am or am not.....arrr....unsure..am sure...i think

Don't get all het up about it. No-one would know whether it's still 'conforming' or not. If queried about it, just tell them 'of course it is', you 'consulted professionals'.
  • BROWNMAN likes this

#17 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2964 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 02:45 AM

So if I weld 2 brake pads onto the back of a putter head then I'm not altering the originally approved OEM design ? ( Ben Lexon - winged keel style )

Or as the case in point, drilling two holes into the putter head and then inserting 2 x 1/4" steel rods that will protrude out of the back of said putter to give some extra balance and abit of a guide-line ?

Jon... 

You are certainly altering the club BUT you are not necessarily making it non-conforming.

As I indicated, your club may well conform and is therefore perfectly legal for play. However, if you are challenged and need to to prove its conformity, then you would have to get confirmation from the R&A/USGA.

If you are not challenged there is no problem

Edited by AAA, 14 October 2017 - 02:46 AM.

#18 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3356 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 04:48 PM

Don't get all het up about it. No-one would know whether it's still 'conforming' or not. If queried about it, just tell them 'of course it is', you 'consulted professionals'.

Nah OB,not het up at all,all good,funny part is,already bought materials to construct this beast...(2  x 3/16 brass bolts),but with a little help from a club member,i have made a change to cack handed putting,actually feels great,putting well again...............SO FAR.cheers,and thanks guys for your help

I am NOT a teacher, coach.
Iam a LEARNER
What I post here is either from the book,OR what I have learnt from it.
You dont like it..fine....dont read it ....SIMPLE

#19 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2213 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 10:43 AM

You are certainly altering the club BUT you are not necessarily making it non-conforming.

As I indicated, your club may well conform and is therefore perfectly legal for play. However, if you are challenged and need to to prove its conformity, then you would have to get confirmation from the R&A/USGA.

Agreed and this is what I've eluded too.

We had a new country member afew years ago that I got to play with on several occasions when he first joined ( a solid 4 marker )

He had made his own putter from a 4" long section of 2" round gal pipe, a piece of flat 1/4" stainless steel 4" x 1.5" welded to the pipe, drilled a hole in the top and glued in an old iron shaft with a normal grip.

Because I'd played with him abit, some of the older rules inclined members had asked me to point out to him that his putter was non conforming. I spoke to him about the home made putter but not because it didn't conform but because it hadn't been approved !

He took it very well and the next week turned up with a brand new $1200 Scotty Cameron circle T and then proceeded to street the field and win a big board event.

Jon...     

• iRON MiCK likes this

#20 rogolf

rogolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 12:05 AM

The Committee in charge of the competition can provide a ruling for that competition - has happened many times without going to the R&A or USGA.

#21 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2964 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 01:36 AM

Under what authority do the committees make the decision?

#22 rogolf

rogolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 01:02 PM

Under what authority do the committees make the decision?

See documentation beginning on page 60 of the 2016 Guide to the Rules on Clubs and Balls.  This document is part of the Rules according to the definition of Rules.

Edited by rogolf, 19 October 2017 - 01:04 PM.

• Madambo likes this

#23 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2964 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 11:54 PM

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users