#16 hack2489

hack2489

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 25 September 2017 - 02:17 PM

Professional golfers should know the rules governing their occupation. After Lexi was penalized, surely every professional golfer read the rules?

Amateur golfers, different story as its not their "job". Unless its monthly medal or club championship, in which case surely its just another valid reason for slow play?
  • pom likes this

#17 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4177 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 25 September 2017 - 04:43 PM

I would have thought that this was a different situation.  In this case, it is quite obvious that the ball has been moved and he gestures in frustration about it.  I can't understand why he would assume without checking that he should play the ball from where it ended up.  Why wouldn't you call a rules official and check?

Golflink

Winner C Grade Long Drive 2013 OOM #2 Heidelberg

Winner B Grade Long Drive 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Winner B Grade NTP 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#18 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22855 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 25 September 2017 - 09:33 PM

I would have thought that this was a different situation.  In this case, it is quite obvious that the ball has been moved and he gestures in frustration about it.  I can't understand why he would assume without checking that he should play the ball from where it ended up.  Why wouldn't you call a rules official and check?

There aren't that many rules that a pro golfer has to know. Not knowing them shows a lack of dedication to the job.

Compare that to the rules of the road that a pro driver has to know. And that can be a matter of life and death.
  • pom likes this

#19 The Gap Wedge Draw

The Gap Wedge Draw

I am a recovering shankaholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationIn the left rough on 7th 105m from pin

Posted 25 September 2017 - 11:15 PM

Went to see the movie "Tommy's Honour". Mention was made of golf's 13 rules.

WTF went wrong in the last 150 years.

Hit your ball into a divot in the middle of the fairway and tough. Miss the fairway by 30m and find an animal scrape please take a free drop.

Get back to 13 rules and get rid of all the rules Nazis
  • Ji Bao He and tigertuff like this
ShanklinkOOM TourI am mid table mediocrity !

National Tour
2017 Day 1 winner at Monash CC

Baconwide TourRunner up 2015 Stink's 3 club challenge at YarrambatNAGA with Benny 2014 4bbb Championship at St Andrews BeachTeam Mercedes with Muff runners up 2017 4bbb Chanpionship FlindersRunner up 2017 Southern InvitationalWinner 2017 Keysborough InvitationalChoppers TourWinner 2014 Ghetto's Placegetter Challenge at SunshineWinner 2015 Airy's invitational at Melbourne Airport<p>

#20 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2964 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 01:08 AM

Miss the fairway by 30m and find an animal scrape please take a free drop.

Not for any old scrape you don't

• pom and Madambo like this

#21 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11710 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 26 September 2017 - 09:59 AM

I reckon there is enough doubt that the ball was not moved by the leaf. I know it looks like it was in the video but judging by the amount that the ball continued to turn it must have been rolling across a reasonable slope and was going to turn anyway. It could just as easily have been the gust of wind that caused the ball to start turning. As for the players reaction, of course he is going to blame the leaf, It could not be that he misread the putt.

• Madambo likes this
Member of the Vision Test Pilot Project.
No VTPP11

#22 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12117 posts
  • LocationThirteen point twenty-four warning points

Posted 26 September 2017 - 10:11 AM

I reckon there is enough doubt that the ball was not moved by the leaf. I know it looks like it was in the video but judging by the amount that the ball continued to turn it must have been rolling across a reasonable slope and was going to turn anyway. It could just as easily have been the gust of wind that caused the ball to start turning. As for the players reaction, of course he is going to blame the leaf, It could not be that he misread the putt.

From the footage, I am happy that the ball was deflected by the leaf. 

That was the best outcome for the fella because it meant that he got to have a mulligan for his missed putt. 

More fool him for not knowing he had the free out here

• pom likes this
"But sometimes there are more important things in life than being pedantic about the rules of golf, or spelling and grammar on golf forums"

#23 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4879 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 26 September 2017 - 10:48 AM

From the footage, I am happy that the ball was deflected by the leaf. 

That was the best outcome for the fella because it meant that he got to have a mulligan for his missed putt. 

More fool him for not knowing he had the free out here

No it was obviously just the wind that caused it to move 20degrees right and then continue on a straight line. The leaf is an optical illusion. 

#24 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12117 posts
  • LocationThirteen point twenty-four warning points

Posted 26 September 2017 - 11:13 AM

No it was obviously just the wind that caused it to move 20degrees right and then continue on a straight line. The leaf is an optical illusion. 

simple tertiary level physics right there

• koiom K Frenzy likes this
"But sometimes there are more important things in life than being pedantic about the rules of golf, or spelling and grammar on golf forums"

#25 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11710 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 26 September 2017 - 03:17 PM

Do a little experiment & see if you can cause a ball to deflect with a leaf that is moving. I have seen plenty of instances of gusts of wind deflecting a putt. The leaf was carried by the gust of wind and both hit the ball at the same time. Without the wind would the leaf have caused the ball to deflect. IMO the rules officials should have considered the probability that the wind moved the ball & the leaf just happen to touch the ball at the same moment.

BTW. Not sure how many times you have watched the video but there is no doubt that once the ball is deflected it continues to turn.

Edited by pom, 26 September 2017 - 03:18 PM.

No VTPP11

#26 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4879 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 26 September 2017 - 03:21 PM

Do a little experiment & see if you can cause a ball to deflect with a leaf that is moving. I have seen plenty of instances of gusts of wind deflecting a putt. The leaf was carried by the gust of wind and both hit the ball at the same time. Without the wind would the leaf have caused the ball to deflect. IMO the rules officials should have considered the probability that the wind moved the ball & the leaf just happen to touch the ball at the same moment.

BTW. Not sure how many times you have watched the video but there is no doubt that once the ball is deflected it continues to turn.

Watched it at least 5 times now and I have never seen a gust of wind move a ball like it did in that video. I have seen a ball deflect off an object and move like that though. 

Of course, it could be a coincidence, but it's probably not. 

#27 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11710 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 26 September 2017 - 03:26 PM

But a ball deflecting off an object is not the issue here. The issue is the deflection of the ball caused by an outside agency ie; The moving leaf.I cannot see that the ball rolled over the leaf. the leaf just seemed to bounce off the ball.

Not going to make any difference to that poor golfer now.

Edited by pom, 26 September 2017 - 03:28 PM.

No VTPP11

#28 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4879 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 26 September 2017 - 03:28 PM

The leaf is also an object.

#29 Goldy

Goldy

Got any Greek in you?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36486 posts
  • LocationWant some?

Posted 26 September 2017 - 04:35 PM

All leaves are objects.

But not all objects are leaves.

True fact.

Courtesy your friendly neighbourhood knowledge worker.
  • OldBogey and pom like this

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015 | Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid / Srixon AD333 ball | Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole Kooindah Waters 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.
Goldlink

#30 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4879 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 26 September 2017 - 04:43 PM

All leaves are objects.

But not all objects are leaves.

True fact.

Courtesy your friendly neighbourhood knowledge worker.

What about if the leaf is still attached to the tree and is blowing in the wind when the ball hits it and is deflected? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users