#1 Notupnotin

Notupnotin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • LocationLeicester City

Posted 22 September 2017 - 12:17 PM

Ok since I've changed the course where I play my distance control is terrible. On the weekend I have 6 x 3 putts and threw in a 4 putt just for good measure! All caused by a bad(mostly short) first putt. Any tips on how to improve this part of my game?

-2015 ISG Vic OOM#1 GROWLING FROG "B" Grade & Overall Winner
-2016 Team winner of the Vincent Cup @ Barwon Heads
-2017 ISG Vic OOM#1 Growling Frog "B" Grade Winner & N/P

-2017 GDGA Div 5 pennant winners (Winchelsea)

Single figures reached(9.5) on 28//8/2016
H/C 8.7 on 11/3/17

PB Round 73/9/64 (11/3/17)
http://www.golflink....49&dt=1&skip=1#

https://www.gamegolf.../player/keggolf

#2 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Great Sage...Equal of Heaven...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10091 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 22 September 2017 - 12:32 PM

LoL if you get an answer that makes any sense I would be grateful as well.
  • Notupnotin likes this

Whatever you do, you do to yourself

http://dorsetgolfclub.com.au/

#3 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4621 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 22 September 2017 - 12:40 PM

Leaving putts short? Hit it harder.

Missing putts left? Aim right.

Etc etc etc

• RobNewy and Goldy like this

#4 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39795 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 22 September 2017 - 12:48 PM

Trust your instincts and make a few practice swings looking the the hole and the path the ball will travel

Edited by Weetbix, 22 September 2017 - 12:49 PM.

• Notupnotin likes this

Handicap

Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016

Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands

Goal: A round at par or better!

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Clubman of the Year

Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island

Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands

South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer

http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#5 The Robinator

The Robinator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2766 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 06:38 PM

I practice on the putting green and just try to lag to the edge of the green, take the hole out of the equation. As soon as you lift your head you will invariably leave a putt short. I try to concentrate on keeping my head still and not to look up until the ball is well on the way.

• Madambo and Notupnotin like this

#6 Madambo

Madambo

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 12075 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 07:34 PM

Ok since I've changed the course where I play my distance control is terrible. On the weekend I have 6 x 3 putts and threw in a 4 putt just for good measure! All caused by a bad(mostly short) first putt. Any tips on how to improve this part of my game?

practice in the dark or try with eyes closed. It's all feel so best to visualise. Similar to how we learn to throw a ball the correct distance to someone.
  • Notupnotin likes this

#7 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22504 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 22 September 2017 - 07:58 PM

It's just a matter of getting used to the green speed differences between one course and another.

Practise uphill and downhill until you can the lengths right. It's all about feel, once you've read the green.
  • Notupnotin likes this

#8 Notupnotin

Notupnotin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • LocationLeicester City

Posted 22 September 2017 - 08:46 PM

I practice on the putting green and just try to lag to the edge of the green, take the hole out of the equation. As soon as you lift your head you will invariably leave a putt short. I try to concentrate on keeping my head still and not to look up until the ball is well on the way.

I think that might be part of my problem. I've been catching the ball on the bottom edge of the putter face so maybe having an early look.

-2015 ISG Vic OOM#1 GROWLING FROG "B" Grade & Overall Winner
-2016 Team winner of the Vincent Cup @ Barwon Heads
-2017 ISG Vic OOM#1 Growling Frog "B" Grade Winner & N/P

-2017 GDGA Div 5 pennant winners (Winchelsea)

Single figures reached(9.5) on 28//8/2016
H/C 8.7 on 11/3/17

PB Round 73/9/64 (11/3/17)
http://www.golflink....49&dt=1&skip=1#

https://www.gamegolf.../player/keggolf

#9 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18967 posts
  • LocationReclinng in The Bahamas ... in my mind.

Posted 23 September 2017 - 08:54 PM

Leaving putts short? Hit it harder.

Missing putts left? Aim right.

Etc etc etc

I'd also add ..... hit your approach shots closer. :)

• Notupnotin likes this
http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner
2016 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner (Pending successful legal action)

EVENT WINS
2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team
2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)
2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)
2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)
2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.
"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2016.

#10 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4621 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 23 September 2017 - 08:56 PM

I'd also add ..... hit your approach shots closer. :)

Does help with the whole putting thing
  • Notupnotin likes this

#11 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2164 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 12:53 PM

I see alot of players that set their putter in a neutral shaft position or even lean the shaft backwards behind the head. The majority of putters are designed with the shaft leaning slightly forward of the face ( shaft lean ) which will give you the correct loft of about 3 to 5 degrees ( depending on the manufacturer )

When the shaft is neutral ( vertical to the ground ) or back further it will add loft and it isn't hard to double the amount of loft from 4 to 8 degrees. The main result will then be an inconsistent roll because you are launching the ball with more spin and it will also bounce more, making it harder to get a solid hit with good timing and a repeatable roll !

To test this theory stand your putter on a hard flat surface and stand on the head with your foot, the shaft should lean forward of the face. That is how the putter has been setup by the OEM and this is how you should hold it to get the correct benefit of its loft. The proper loft will give you a better roll, after that it's just a matter of practising with good mechanics and technique to become confident with your distance control.

Jon...  

• Notupnotin likes this

#12 Goldy

Goldy

Got any Greek in you?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36024 posts
  • LocationWant some?

Posted 25 September 2017 - 01:04 PM

I see alot of players that set their putter in a neutral shaft position or even lean the shaft backwards behind the head. The majority of putters are designed with the shaft leaning slightly forward of the face ( shaft lean ) which will give you the correct loft of about 3 to 5 degrees ( depending on the manufacturer )

When the shaft is neutral ( vertical to the ground ) or back further it will add loft and it isn't hard to double the amount of loft from 4 to 8 degrees. The main result will then be an inconsistent roll because you are launching the ball with more spin and it will also bounce more, making it harder to get a solid hit with good timing and a repeatable roll !

To test this theory stand your putter on a hard flat surface and stand on the head with your foot, the shaft should lean forward of the face. That is how the putter has been setup by the OEM and this is how you should hold it to get the correct benefit of its loft. The proper loft will give you a better roll, after that it's just a matter of practising with good mechanics and technique to become confident with your distance control.

Jon...  

How does this particular method apply to your good self and your interesting setup, oh venerable club-making dude?

• RobNewy likes this

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015 | Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid / Srixon AD333 ball | Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole Kooindah Waters 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.
Goldlink

#13 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2164 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 02:15 PM

How does this particular method apply to your good self and your interesting setup, oh venerable club-making dude?

Good question, cake eater.

I consider that I roll the ball better than the average good player because of my ball position at address. I've got the ball about 4" infront of my toe-line and this promotes the clubhead to accelerate up and through the impact zone, so the ball rolls better and quicker with less effort.

If we look at a normal putting setup the ball is anywhere between the front big toe and the middle of the players stance. To get my ball position you would have to push the ball 4" infront of the outside of your leading foot and that's almost impossible ( Mouldy could maybe do it ) because you'd still have to get the correct shaft lean happening. 

Rolling the ball with timing and stability is the key to controlling the speed.

The harder that you hit the ball with a poor technique and setup the worse it will get and being able to control both starting line and pace is the main objective of any great player.

Jon...

• Goldy and VLAD like this

#14 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22504 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 25 September 2017 - 02:57 PM

Some of us know how to putt, but choose to do it differently, because we're like that.

A low marker I played with on the weekend uses considerable forward shaft lean. This meant that he was hitting down on the ball causing inconsistencies with roll and missed putts. It was great to watch his 300m drives.

The point I'm trying to make is that whatever style you prefer to use, make sure your putter loft is adjusted to suit so that you regularly get 4° effective loft.

#15 RobNewy

RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10454 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 26 September 2017 - 06:09 AM

Some of us know how to putt, but choose to do it differently, because we're like that.
A low marker I played with on the weekend uses considerable forward shaft lean. This meant that he was hitting down on the ball causing inconsistencies with roll and missed putts. It was great to watch his 300m drives.
The point I'm trying to make is that whatever style you prefer to use, make sure your putter loft is adjusted to suit so that you regularly get 4° effective loft.

You should be a pro
  • Kiwi and Goldy like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users