#1 RobNewy

RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10458 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 17 September 2017 - 09:16 PM

I'm a little scared for some of the responses i will get, but here goes.

A few of our bunkers were underwater on saturday after the Friday night deluge.

One in particular was on the 7th, just right of the green

The bunker was full of water on the low side were a playing partners tee shot went. Obviously the casual water thing comes into play.

But if the bunker is full, is a drop out of the bunker ok? He could have gone further up the bunker, but that would have been nearer the hole.

As it was, the run of was horrific out of the bunker, so the place we all assumed he could drop was a few metres further back, but it was in the fairway with a mint lie.

Is this right?

#2 koiom K Frenzy

koiom K Frenzy

Anyone for a Cuppa?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10265 posts
  • LocationJDM heaven

Posted 17 September 2017 - 09:33 PM

Dont you have to incur a 1 shot penalty if you're forced to take relief back out of the bunker?
You also have to keep the line with the pin.
You can go as far back as you want though.
Similar to taking an unplayable.

http://www.golf.org....icap/3011891841

2012 Curlewis OOM#5 A Grade NTP
2013 Beaconhills Invitational Classic 3rd Place
2013 Stink 3 Club Challenge NAGA
2014 Heritage OOM#3 A Grade Winner
2014 Heritage OOM#3 A Grade NTP
2014 Bendigo Slog Pairs Winner with Ghetto
2014 Vic ISG Matchplay Runner Up
2015 Vic ISG Matchplay Semi Finalist
2016 Keysborough GC April Medal Winner
2016 ISG Race to 6 Winner
2017 Torquay OOM#3 A Grade Winner

2017 Moonah OOM#4 A Grade Runner Up

Have never been beaten by Mick off the stick

#3 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Great Sage...Equal of Heaven...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10102 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 17 September 2017 - 10:07 PM

Local rule in play?

Whatever you do, you do to yourself

http://dorsetgolfclub.com.au/

#4 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2939 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 10:26 PM

Dont you have to incur a 1 shot penalty if you're forced to take relief back out of the bunker?
You also have to keep the line with the pin.
You can go as far back as you want though.
Similar to taking an unplayable.

Not quite. That is the only option for dropping outside a bunker. It is called the 'flagline'.

Unplayable gives you three options.

#5 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2939 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 10:33 PM

I'm a little scared for some of the responses i will get, but here goes.

A few of our bunkers were underwater on saturday after the Friday night deluge.

One in particular was on the 7th, just right of the green

The bunker was full of water on the low side were a playing partners tee shot went. Obviously the casual water thing comes into play.

But if the bunker is full, is a drop out of the bunker ok? He could have gone further up the bunker, but that would have been nearer the hole.

As it was, the run of was horrific out of the bunker, so the place we all assumed he could drop was a few metres further back, but it was in the fairway with a mint lie.

Is this right?

In this situation, relief does not have to be full relief. 

if complete relief is impossible, (drop) as near as possible to the spot where the ball lay, but not nearer the hole, on a part of the course in the bunker that affords maximum available relief from the condition

Which means the ball or his feet could still be in the water.

As mentioned, the committee could have made a local rule deeming that bunker as GUR. The effect would be to also lose its status as a bunker and make it Through the Green.

#6 Short Putt Man

Short Putt Man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2736 posts
  • LocationVic (Metro North)

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:50 AM

So in other words he would either have to drop as close to point where maximum not complete relief could be taken (thus meaning the ball or feet could in the water) and have to play as it lay?

Otherwise Unplayable and goes with the options for unplayable with a 1 stroke penalty?

Cap: 17.9 Gamegolf

WITB:

Primary: Big Bertha 1.5 Mini 12* on Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 60 Stiff Shaft | Great Big Bertha 3W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Great Big Bertha 5W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Cally X Forged 13's on Project X PXi 6.0 Steel shafts 3-PW | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 52* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 56* bent to 58* | Odyssey Metal X Milled #1 |

Holiday:  X2 Hot Pro 8.5 on Aldila Tour Green Shaft Big Bertha 3W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Big Bertha 5W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Wilson Staff FG Tour 3I on Project X 5.5 | Mizuno MP 54 4-PW on Project X 5.5 Stiff Shafts | Mack Daddy 2 56* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 60* bent to 58* | Odyssey Metal-X #1 (2013) |

Spares: Big Bertha 1.5 Mini 12* on Fujikura 665 Reg Shaft 3w Length | Wilson Staff FG Tours Head only 4 -PW | True Temper XP 105 Stiff Shafts 4 - PW length | Mack Daddy 2 Slate 52* S Grind |

Goals: Get back to GA 15.9

#7 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2939 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 06:18 PM

In the bunker

He would either have to drop as close to point where maximum not complete relief could be taken (thus meaning the ball or feet could in the water) or have to play as it lay

Outside the bunker

Unplayable and goes with the only permissible option for unplayable in the case of a bunker (ie flagline) with a 1 stroke penalty

• Short Putt Man likes this

#8 ColinCL

ColinCL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 19 September 2017 - 07:02 PM

In the bunker

He would either have to drop as close to point where maximum not complete relief could be taken (thus meaning the ball or feet could in the water) or have to play as it lay

Outside the bunker

Unplayable and goes with the only permissible option for unplayable in the case of a bunker (ie flagline) with a 1 stroke penalty

I fear  you've confused what you made clear earlier about the difference between relief from casual water and from an unplayable ball in a bunker!  

Maybe a summary will help others:

Relief from casual water in a bunker [R25-1b (ii)]

In the bunker - within 1 club length of nearest point of relief  or point of nearest maximum relief not nearer the hole without penalty;

or,

outside the bunker  - as far back on the flagline as you like anywhere with a 1 stroke penalty.

Relief from unplayable ball in a bunker [R28]

Dropping in the bunker - within two club lengths of the ball or on the flagline as far back as you likewith a 1 stroke penalty.

Outside the bunker -  playing from where you played your previous stroke with a 1 stroke penalty (stroke and distance).  

Edited by ColinCL, 19 September 2017 - 07:03 PM.

• Short Putt Man likes this

#9 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Great Sage...Equal of Heaven...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10102 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 19 September 2017 - 08:06 PM

So if a bunker is full of water due to unforseen weather conditions and you cannot get a dry lie in the bunker no nearer the hole you must drop outside the bunker and cop a 1 shot penalty. Unless a local law is in place stating bunkers are either out of play or if flooded GUR.

Whatever you do, you do to yourself

http://dorsetgolfclub.com.au/

#10 Goldy

Goldy

Got any Greek in you?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36035 posts
  • LocationWant some?

Posted 19 September 2017 - 08:10 PM

Don't worry about it Mick.

We'll tell you to hurry the fark up and wipe the damn hole.
  • RobNewy, iRON MiCK and koiom K Frenzy like this

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015 | Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid / Srixon AD333 ball | Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole Kooindah Waters 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.
Goldlink

#11 RobNewy

RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10458 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 19 September 2017 - 08:41 PM

So if a bunker is full of water due to unforseen weather conditions and you cannot get a dry lie in the bunker no nearer the hole you must drop outside the bunker and cop a 1 shot penalty. Unless a local law is in place stating bunkers are either out of play or if flooded GUR.

Seems that way.
Crap rule really

#12 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22512 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 19 September 2017 - 09:57 PM

You can still drop in the bunker where the water isn't as deep, provided no nearer to the hole, without a penalty.

Usually, if you are taking relief from casual water, GUR, paths, you have to take full relief. i.e. both stance and lie of the ball. However, bunkers have limits and full relief may not be possible within the bunker. If you want to drop out of the bunker, it'll cost you a stroke.

#13 Ji Bao He

Ji Bao He

ISG AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL 4BBB CHAMPION, WITH HARRO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16502 posts
  • Location#KW #CHAMPION

Posted 20 September 2017 - 03:54 AM

Lazy captain should have been around and made a decision, and written on local
Rule board
DEBUT: US Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA 2016
DEBUT: ANA Inspirational LPGA Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA 2016
Reacquainted myself with Karrie Webb, Australia's Greatest Golfer

#14 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2939 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 05:39 AM

I fear  you've confused what you made clear earlier about the difference between relief from casual water and from an unplayable ball in a bunker!  

Maybe a summary will help others:

Relief from casual water in a bunker [R25-1b (ii)]

In the bunker - within 1 club length of nearest point of relief  or point of nearest maximum relief not nearer the hole without penalty;

or,

outside the bunker  - as far back on the flagline as you like anywhere with a 1 stroke penalty.

Relief from unplayable ball in a bunker [R28]

Dropping in the bunker - within two club lengths of the ball or on the flagline as far back as you likewith a 1 stroke penalty.

Outside the bunker -  playing from where you played your previous stroke with a 1 stroke penalty (stroke and distance).  

Goodness know what happened to the last part of my answer above I can't even understand what I seem to have typed. 

I blame the Rioja.

• Madambo and Short Putt Man like this

#15 ColinCL

ColinCL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 20 September 2017 - 04:18 PM

Goodness know what happened to the last part of my answer above I can't even understand what I seem to have typed. 

I blame the Rioja.

Robert Browning, the poet, is reputed to have said when asked what a line in a poem meant, "When I wrote that, Robert Browning and God knew what it meant; now only God knows."

Provided He has not been on the Rioja, the Almighty presumably still knows what you meant to say. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users