15 replies to this topic

#1 mrbluu

mrbluu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1121 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 11:43 PM

This is one of the better ones I've seen.

• GhettoGolfer, Weetbix, RobNewy and 2 others like this

#2 RobNewy

RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10410 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 23 August 2017 - 06:25 AM

Apart from being able to hit the ball from that far behind it and still hit a good shot, that is everything my coach is getting mere to do.

Cracking video
  • MaxxOn and Chunky McChunkerson like this

#3 Chunky McChunkerson

Chunky McChunkerson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2691 posts
  • LocationVic (Metro North)

Posted 23 August 2017 - 07:57 AM

seconded....cracking vid....

• MaxxOn likes this

Cap: 18.7 Gamegolf

WITB:

Primary: Big Bertha 1.5 Mini 12* on Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 60 Stiff Shaft | Great Big Bertha 3W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Great Big Bertha 5W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Cally X Forged 13's on Project X PXi 6.0 Steel shafts 3-PW | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 52* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 56* bent to 58* | Odyssey Metal X Milled #1 |

Holiday:  X2 Hot Pro 8.5 on Aldila Tour Green Shaft Big Bertha 3W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Big Bertha 5W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Wilson Staff FG Tour 3I on Project X 5.5 | Mizuno MP 54 4-PW on Project X 5.5 Stiff Shafts | Mack Daddy 2 56* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 60* bent to 58* | Odyssey Metal-X #1 (2013) |

Spares: Big Bertha 1.5 Mini 12* on Fujikura 665 Reg Shaft 3w Length | Wilson Staff FG Tours Head only 4 -PW | True Temper XP 105 Stiff Shafts 4 - PW length | Mack Daddy 2 Slate 52* S Grind |

Goals: Get back to GA 15.9

#4 mrbluu

mrbluu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1121 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 09:45 AM

Pretty much all of Mike Malaska's stuff is good. I just don't like this idea on how he puts the putter grip on a putter.

• OldBogey and MaxxOn like this

#5 RobNewy

RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10410 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 23 August 2017 - 10:26 AM

Pretty much all of Mike Malaska's stuff is good. I just don't like this idea on how he puts the putter grip on a putter.

Does he put it on closed to the hole?
Boyles Golf Shed tried to do it with mine a little while ago. Stupid idea

Edited by RobNewy, 23 August 2017 - 10:27 AM.

#6 mrbluu

mrbluu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1121 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 10:29 AM

Does he put it on closed to the hole?
Boyles Golf Shed tried to do it with mine a little while ago. Stupid idea

No he has the flat part of the putter grip parallel to the face.
  • RobNewy likes this

#7 Zenstb

Zenstb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2694 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 23 August 2017 - 11:23 AM

Thanks for sharing, a cracking video.A very common setup fault most of us do. A light bulb moment for me with my short game is hot and cold my hip slides forward. A great cure. Thanks you so much for sharing. Going to share this with other coaches too. We all struggle getting people's set up right for chipping.
Coordination is the key to movement

#8 RobNewy

RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10410 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 23 August 2017 - 11:43 AM

No he has the flat part of the putter grip parallel to the face.

That's the idea of the Flat Cat grip.
I'm intrigued by that idea

#9 Chunky McChunkerson

Chunky McChunkerson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2691 posts
  • LocationVic (Metro North)

Posted 23 August 2017 - 01:19 PM

Think Jon is using this and last chat he was liking it!

Cap: 18.7 Gamegolf

WITB:

Primary: Big Bertha 1.5 Mini 12* on Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 60 Stiff Shaft | Great Big Bertha 3W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Great Big Bertha 5W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Cally X Forged 13's on Project X PXi 6.0 Steel shafts 3-PW | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 52* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 56* bent to 58* | Odyssey Metal X Milled #1 |

Holiday:  X2 Hot Pro 8.5 on Aldila Tour Green Shaft Big Bertha 3W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Big Bertha 5W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Wilson Staff FG Tour 3I on Project X 5.5 | Mizuno MP 54 4-PW on Project X 5.5 Stiff Shafts | Mack Daddy 2 56* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 60* bent to 58* | Odyssey Metal-X #1 (2013) |

Spares: Big Bertha 1.5 Mini 12* on Fujikura 665 Reg Shaft 3w Length | Wilson Staff FG Tours Head only 4 -PW | True Temper XP 105 Stiff Shafts 4 - PW length | Mack Daddy 2 Slate 52* S Grind |

Goals: Get back to GA 15.9

#10 Zenstb

Zenstb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2694 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 23 August 2017 - 03:12 PM

Once you master the setup, this next piece of a flatter right shoulder turn for longer pitches is a cracker in video below.You get the ball fizing more and stopping faster. Best part no more chunking,it has to be the worse feeling in golf. Flush a drive easy pitch in and chunk. Some times chunk, chunk, almost causes heart failure.The embarrassment that comes with it and no idea why you did it. Anyway these videos come close to the title of never chunking again mayabe ha.

Paul Hart I visited a few months ago,when he was able to still go to the range.Fixed my short games issues. For some unknown reason I lost my short game when Belinda passed and struggled to find it. Anyway off we went to the range with Dary. He said "chest in front of the ball son.(same setup as video) I got it and then loss it again recently,sadly Darty to sick to cure me again. Went back to old pattern. Basically went straight over my head. My setup was stuffed.The video gave a light bulb moment to what Darty taught me.

Darty also demonstrated the shoulder turn and flatter right shoulder turn,same as video below. Again straight over my head, I got it but didn't sink in, I was still dropping my right shoulder way to much and low point was still too far back.

Thanks boys for sharing this guy's videos they are crackers. What a wonderful coach and communicator.

Edited by Zenstb, 23 August 2017 - 03:28 PM.

• Weetbix and RobNewy like this

#11 Zenstb

Zenstb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2694 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 23 August 2017 - 10:56 PM

The concept is based on right fore arm inline and on same plane as the shaft.This setup reduces clubface roll and also gives greater feel of the club face being square. You can also feel club face roll Eg club face opening, hitting pushes or club face closing, hitting pulls. The grip being parallel helps you feel the face closing or opening. More importantly feel the putter face being square and suppose to give you better club face control.

I like the concept great putters like Crenshaw and Nicklaus and a good majority of other good putters, all have their right fore arm is inline and on the same plane with the putter shaft. The grip assists with this.

Edited by Zenstb, 23 August 2017 - 10:59 PM.

• RobNewy likes this

#12 mrbluu

mrbluu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1121 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:04 AM

The concept is based on right fore arm inline and on same plane as the shaft.This setup reduces clubface roll and also gives greater feel of the club face being square. You can also feel club face roll Eg club face opening, hitting pushes or club face closing, hitting pulls. The grip being parallel helps you feel the face closing or opening. More importantly feel the putter face being square and suppose to give you better club face control.

I like the concept great putters like Crenshaw and Nicklaus and a good majority of other good putters, all have their right fore arm is inline and on the same plane with the putter shaft. The grip assists with this.

I disagree, the concept of the the flat part of the putter grip parallel to the putter face has nothing to do with the shaft plane going up the forearms. It has to do with the relationship between your back of your lead hand and the putter face being square to each other. I'm not saying it doesn't necessarily work, but if your grip is set up properly and the flat edges run down the life lines on your hands, it will give you the same relationship. 

I do agree that getting the putter shaft to run up the forearms plane is one of the major keys to good putting. 

I've yet to see a consistently good putter use a fat or oversized grip.  For most ppl, they got to fat  and oversized grips to try to mask of any technical flaws they have. It's like painting over rust, as they haven't really resolve anything.

They are better of going to learn proper setup, alignment, aim and then the stroke. 

#13 Zenstb

Zenstb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2694 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 24 August 2017 - 12:39 PM

I disagree, the concept of the the flat part of the putter grip parallel to the putter face has nothing to do with the shaft plane going up the forearms. It has to do with the relationship between your back of your lead hand and the putter face being square to each other. I'm not saying it doesn't necessarily work, but if your grip is set up properly and the flat edges run down the life lines on your hands, it will give you the same relationship.

I do agree that getting the putter shaft to run up the forearms plane is one of the major keys to good putting.

I've yet to see a consistently good putter use a fat or oversized grip. For most ppl, they got to fat and oversized grips to try to mask of any technical flaws they have. It's like painting over rust, as they haven't really resolve anything.
They are better of going to learn proper setup, alignment, aim and then the stroke.

Fair play to disagree although that is if we are on the same page. The shaft plane going up the forearms? This is entirely different to the right fore arm inline and on same plane as the putter shaft.

If we go off what Mike Malaska advice, he recommends the flat side on the right side of the putter shaft for right handers, for the same reason I mentioned.

Fat cat have the flat side on both sides,as well as top and back of the shaft. Left fore arm inline and
the right fore arm inline and on same plane as the putter shaft. This is one scienaro, there is many reasons they do it and can be used for.

Sure if the putter grip is correct 100% agree there is no need for it. Although putting is about confidence and if the fat cat or turning the putter grip helps assist the player, to ensure their grip and setup is correct, which then gives them more confidence why not try or use it. If it works for them and they are happy, that's all that matters.

Maybe it's a hard call to make what grip size players use. Some use convential size and can have 4 or 6 or more wraps underneath. If so would this then be considered oversized? Although some players who are using oversize are Jordan Speith, Phil Mickelson and there is many other tour players using oversized grips these days. There is many other tours out there to consider who are still great putters and using oversized too.

It's all good and well trying to fix technic although many struggle to do so. Even tour players have proven to struggle with their putting stroke or putting in general. Sometimes you have to work with what you have got. Using fat grips or oversize helps some of their floors and putt better, then there is no harm in that. The weekend golfers sometimes just want to putt a little better and don't have time to put big hours in, to work on their technic.Sometimes other alternatives are better solutions to their problems to putter better and enjoying golf more.

Edited by Zenstb, 24 August 2017 - 12:50 PM.

• RobNewy likes this

#14 Harambe

Harambe

I said "cream" not "green"!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3464 posts
  • LocationBoooooooo

Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:33 PM

Fair play to disagree although that is if we are on the same page. The shaft plane going up the forearms? This is entirely different to the right fore arm inline and on same plane as the putter shaft.

If we go off what Mike Malaska advice, he recommends the flat side on the right side of the putter shaft for right handers, for the same reason I mentioned.

Fat cat have the flat side on both sides,as well as top and back of the shaft. Left fore arm inline and
the right fore arm inline and on same plane as the putter shaft. This is one scienaro, there is many reasons they do it and can be used for.

Sure if the putter grip is correct 100% agree there is no need for it. Although putting is about confidence and if the fat cat or turning the putter grip helps assist the player, to ensure their grip and setup is correct, which then gives them more confidence why not try or use it. If it works for them and they are happy, that's all that matters.

Maybe it's a hard call to make what grip size players use. Some use convential size and can have 4 or 6 or more wraps underneath. If so would this then be considered oversized? Although some players who are using oversize are Jordan Speith, Phil Mickelson and there is many other tour players using oversized grips these days. There is many other tours out there to consider who are still great putters and using oversized too.

It's all good and well trying to fix technic although many struggle to do so. Even tour players have proven to struggle with their putting stroke or putting in general. Sometimes you have to work with what you have got. Using fat grips or oversize helps some of their floors and putt better, then there is no harm in that. The weekend golfers sometimes just want to putt a little better and don't have time to put big hours in, to work on their technic.Sometimes other alternatives are better solutions to their problems to putter better and enjoying golf more.

Cult

#15 mrbluu

mrbluu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1121 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 09:44 PM

Sounds like everyone's needs more confidence....
  • Zenstb likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users