RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10411 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 28 August 2017 - 12:15 PM

I had a lesson yesterday.

I had been getting a yucky tail on muy shots that was not working well.

In Trakman i was ranging from 8-13* over the top. With a 3-4* open face

Ball position change, a little further back. Stand a little taller and left hip forward.

Took a bit, but i got it down to averaging
2-4* oot with a few at neautral and 2 actually 3 degrees inside.

Ended up with nice little draws
  • BumpunRun, Madambo, Francie and 1 other like this

#32 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2200 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 28 August 2017 - 01:41 PM

To add to your list, backswing, reverse pivot, lateral hip slide on backswing. External hip rotation on back swing. Shoulder plane too flat or steep on backswing and transition phase.

Incorrect sequencing can be the root cause only if all the above are taken out of the equation first. However there is contradiction. Seen non of the above, great backswing etc have good sequencing and still over the top. Using 3D testing golfere sequencing, we have seen many good players and tour players still OTT. Craig Parry we can all relate to having OTT but has a pretty good kinetic link or sequencing. You can play with it or start trying ideas like RobNewy posted.

Zen,

Agree with all of the above but I have, found from experience, that it is essential to have a vertical grip with the left thumb well and truly covered by the right palm (PP#1), if you want to have anything like a non-compensation type of swing pattern.

#33 Zenstb

Zenstb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2694 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 28 August 2017 - 02:34 PM

I had a lesson yesterday.

I had been getting a yucky tail on muy shots that was not working well.

In Trakman i was ranging from 8-13* over the top. With a 3-4* open face

Ball position change, a little further back. Stand a little taller and left hip forward.

Took a bit, but i got it down to averaging
2-4* oot with a few at neautral and 2 actually 3 degrees inside.

Ended up with nice little draws

Perfect Rob, changing setup helps move the low point forward, beware that shoulder tilt doesn't stay back. Sometimes when we move our hip forward. We try to slip back to old habbits that are comfortable. People do this with out knowing, becuase the hip is now forward you are consciously aware of it. The subconscious kicks in and compensates to getting back to your old comfortable setup with shoulder tilt. Maybe also to ensure this doesn't occur as a safety measure, feel like your chest is slightly infront of ball, inline can be ok too as reference point.
Hip forward, ( move low point forward) Then Moving the ball back puts to ball in position where the club path is square or slightly inside path( only a few milimetres between the two paths). Perfect.

Standing taller more pressure goes towards the toes to help you stand more upright. This helps the backswing where the pressure should go to right heel. This clears the right hip. This creates space allowing a better down swing path of inside, square, back inside. Which all the above matches the trackman data.
Great way to bed this in is doing preshot routines over and over in front of the mirror ,for when you hit the golf course becomes automatic for you.
Nice result and nice simple lesson you had.
  • RobNewy likes this
Coordination is the key to movement

#34 Zenstb

Zenstb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2694 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 28 August 2017 - 02:56 PM

Zen,
Agree with all of the above but I have, found from experience, that it is essential to have a vertical grip with the left thumb well and truly covered by the right palm (PP#1), if you want to have anything like a non-compensation type of swing pattern.

Yes correct, if there is no physical limitations with the left arm. That would be correct.
The key is to find the vertical that matches the golfers physiology. Many people have a physiology issue of the left arm being internally rotated at natural state of rest. If they set up with a left vertical grip, the face will be closing at impact. Ball goes left, we start steering to compensate, eventually quitting.
For these people with phsyiology issues, still set up the vertical where it aligns the internal rotation of the forearm at natural states of rest.

I have a client and every time he cheats on me and gets a lesson else where, they try to give him a vertical grip,they see his grip and think way too strong and change it, pull hook city.Then he starts steer to compensate. They are right with good physiology it's way too strong.
When he comes back to me after pulling his hair out for a couple weeks. I just allow him to go back to his natural vertical and he starts hitting gentle draws again.

Hope this makes sense?

Edited by Zenstb, 28 August 2017 - 03:03 PM.

Coordination is the key to movement

#35 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2200 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 28 August 2017 - 03:01 PM

Yes correct, if there is no physical limitations with the left arm. That would be correct.
The key is to find the vertical that matches the golfers physiology. Many people have a physiology issue of the left arm being internally rotated at natural state of rest. If they set up with a left vertical grip the face will be closing at impact. For them still set up vertical where it aligns the internal rotation of the forearm at natural states of rest.

I have a client and every time he cheats on me and gets a lesson else where they try to give him a vertical grip,they see his grip and think way too strong and change it, pull hook city.They are right with good physiology it's way too strong.
When he comes back to me after pulling his hair out for a couple weeks. I just allow him to go back to his natural vertical and he starts hitting gentle draws again.

Hope this makes sense?

LOL!!  So true, so often experts do not make allowance for variation in individual makeups. It happens in all fields, not just golf. Education is a classic case.

All power to you for that understanding Zen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users