34 replies to this topic

#16 chevychase

chevychase

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 12:04 PM

My view isn't that we'd all like to swing like Adam Scott. I'm saying that not swinging on the correct path is a greater contributor to the slice than a weak grip. You can have a weak grip and swing on an in to out path and still hit a draw. However nothing you do with your grip will prevent a slice when you're coming over the top. And I'd reckon 95% of amateur golfers cast or come over the top.
  • madness likes this

#17 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22676 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 19 August 2017 - 08:00 PM

I don't know about "95%", but certainly many.

#18 Zenstb

Zenstb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2694 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 20 August 2017 - 09:17 PM

My view isn't that we'd all like to swing like Adam Scott. I'm saying that not swinging on the correct path is a greater contributor to the slice than a weak grip. You can have a weak grip and swing on an in to out path and still hit a draw. However nothing you do with your grip will prevent a slice when you're coming over the top. And I'd reckon 95% of amateur golfers cast or come over the top.

You can still draw the ball with an Ott swing. Rather than swing path it's the face open to path causing the slice. This could be due to a weak grip and is maybe to what Jon was eluding too. However if you have club face control and the ability to rotate the left hand( club face control ) to square the club face up. Sure then you could consider the grip is irrelevant.
Although for many average golfers,their skill level to square the club face up is very pòor. Improving the grip could be a simple starting point to improve their slice, then they can learn the skill of club face control for long term improvements.
These days I don't worry about Ott swing. They are weekend golfers and just want to play better.If they want to hit a draw,I simply teach them to aim right. Improve their grip. Then show them how to square the face up for straight shots and close the face for draw. Want to hit a slice or fade they already know how to do it.

I personally feel the concept of OTT should be scrapped and more emphasis on face to path. Why try and change a natural move when you can easily work with it and still be a good player and enjoy your golf. I could live with having Craig Pary's career.

Edited by Zenstb, 20 August 2017 - 09:19 PM.

• Madambo, Jack_Golfer, RobNewy and 2 others like this
Coordination is the key to movement

#19 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33648 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 20 August 2017 - 09:20 PM

You can still draw the ball with an Ott swing. Rather than swing path it's the face open to path causing the slice. This could be due to a weak grip and is maybe to what Jon was eluding too. However if you have club face control and the ability to rotate the left hand( club face control ) to square the club face up. Sure then you could consider the grip is irrelevant.
Although for many average golfers,their skill level to square the club face up is very pòor. Improving the grip could be a simple starting point to improve their slice, then they can learn the skill of club face control for long term improvements.
These days I don't worry about Ott swing. They are weekend golfers and just want to play better.If they want to hit a draw,I simply teach them to aim right. Improve their grip. Then show them how to square the face up for straight shots and close the face for draw. Want to hit a slice or fade they already know how to do it.

I personally feel the concept of OTT should be scrapped and more emphasis on face to path. Why try and change a natural move when you can easily work with it and still be a good player and enjoy your golf. I could live with having Craig Pary's career.

Good to hear from you Zen.   Hope everything is improving for you and you are well.

• Madambo likes this

Inaugural winner "Castlemaine" Vic ISG golf day 2009
Inaugural Victorian OOM Putting Champion - Long Island 2011
Inaugural ISG National Golf Champion - Queensland September 2012

Inaugural winner Casey Rotary Golf Day 2012 - Part of the 'Dream Team'
Hole In One - 7th Hole Portsea GC - 9/10/2012
Long drive "champion" - Stinks 3 club challenge - 22/9/2013

Shipwreck Coast Classic - B Grade Men Winner (Warrnambool) - 9/11/2013

Inaugural holder - ISG TBPNTHWAOOM trophy - 2015

Eagle - Par 4 - 18th at St. Andrews Beach - 1/9/2015​
Holder - Brass yacht trophy - 2015

Player of the Year (VPGC) - 2015

Winner - ISG Tombstone event - Lang Lang - 4/9/2016

Half of 4BBB Champion team with Commish - 2016 National Event

Half of winning finalist - Doubles Match-play team (VPGC) - 2016

​Team member - Winners of Australian ...... Matchplay Championship - 18/11/2016

Veterans Champion (VPGC) - 2016 

"If a foursome is pressing you, wave them through - and then speed up." - Deane Beman

http://www.golflink....k_No=3013311351

Lowest ever handicap - 7.5

#20 Zenstb

Zenstb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2694 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 23 August 2017 - 04:16 PM

Good to hear from you Zen. Hope everything is improving for you and you are well.

Hi Francie,
Battling along, still putting up the good fight. Not out of the woods just yet, hopefully in September tides turn and no more treatment I hope. Trying to enjoy the process by making best of the situation as possible. Just going through the process losing Darty who was like a rock and help each other through the process and journey.That hit home pretty hard our journey together has came to an end. Although all considering I'm doing ok, playing some golf and working. I'm still breathing so I'm blessed and found peace within, what more can a person ask for 😊
How are you going?

Edited by Zenstb, 23 August 2017 - 04:20 PM.

• Jack_Golfer, Weetbix, RobNewy and 3 others like this

#21 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33648 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 23 August 2017 - 04:49 PM

Pretty good thanks.    I often walk the course (and particularly of late as I'm playing poorly) and try not to beat myself up.   I think about you and other people not so fortunate as I, and just try to enjoy the opportunity.     Sorry for your loss and I'm glad you have found peace.   ;)     

• Jack_Golfer, Weetbix, RobNewy and 2 others like this

Inaugural winner "Castlemaine" Vic ISG golf day 2009
Inaugural Victorian OOM Putting Champion - Long Island 2011
Inaugural ISG National Golf Champion - Queensland September 2012

Inaugural winner Casey Rotary Golf Day 2012 - Part of the 'Dream Team'
Hole In One - 7th Hole Portsea GC - 9/10/2012
Long drive "champion" - Stinks 3 club challenge - 22/9/2013

Shipwreck Coast Classic - B Grade Men Winner (Warrnambool) - 9/11/2013

Inaugural holder - ISG TBPNTHWAOOM trophy - 2015

Eagle - Par 4 - 18th at St. Andrews Beach - 1/9/2015​
Holder - Brass yacht trophy - 2015

Player of the Year (VPGC) - 2015

Winner - ISG Tombstone event - Lang Lang - 4/9/2016

Half of 4BBB Champion team with Commish - 2016 National Event

Half of winning finalist - Doubles Match-play team (VPGC) - 2016

​Team member - Winners of Australian ...... Matchplay Championship - 18/11/2016

Veterans Champion (VPGC) - 2016 

"If a foursome is pressing you, wave them through - and then speed up." - Deane Beman

http://www.golflink....k_No=3013311351

Lowest ever handicap - 7.5

#22 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Arnie's Army

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10640 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 23 August 2017 - 07:41 PM

Hope everything works out for you Scott. Still remember your stories about getting a 4WD working in the middle of NT. Sure you will find a way.
  • Zenstb likes this

Billionaire Genius Playboy Philanthropist NAGA

2017 VIC ISG OOM Champion

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3023100698

"Team Frank" founding member

#23 Zenstb

Zenstb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2694 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 23 August 2017 - 10:26 PM

Pretty good thanks. I often walk the course (and particularly of late as I'm playing poorly) and try not to beat myself up. I think about you and other people not so fortunate as I, and just try to enjoy the opportunity. Sorry for your loss and I'm glad you have found peace. ;)

We can't all be suffering in life. Worse of all you can't be playing bad golf. Come and see me, we'll jump on my new 3D Live feedback system and get you sorted out.
No charge,it's on me.The only conditions are we sort you out and start enjoying golf again and having fun. Otherwise the world becomes unbalanced 😀.
Drop me a message and organise a time and day
  • Francie and Short Putt Man like this

#24 mrbluu

mrbluu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1140 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 11:36 PM

I disagree - the biggest contributor to the slice is an over the top swing. There is an abundance of pros with strong, weak, neutral grips who can still manage to hit a draw despite their grip.

Sure but what causes the OTT?
  • BumpunRun likes this

#25 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4742 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 24 August 2017 - 11:55 AM

Sure but what causes the OTT?

Inside takeaway. Incorrect sequencing. Incorrect alignment. Lack of physical fitness. 

I wouldn't be blaming OTT actions on the way the person holds the club, as a first thought.

• Zenstb likes this

#26 mrbluu

mrbluu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1140 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 10:06 AM

Incorrect sequencing.

I agree with this, but not the rest.

OTT is the a symptom, you need to find out what root cause to fix it. Too many ppl throw it out there without this understanding. 

#27 RobNewy

RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10575 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 25 August 2017 - 11:28 AM

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=i4QhzGvNEi8

I like this ideas a lot
  • Zenstb likes this

#28 mrbluu

mrbluu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1140 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 02:29 PM

I like this ideas a lot

If you like this idea  to fix OTT then good luck to you!!!

What I mean is this drill is trying fix a symptom and not the root cause.

Edited by mrbluu, 25 August 2017 - 02:31 PM.

#29 Zenstb

Zenstb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2694 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 28 August 2017 - 11:55 AM

I like this ideas a lot

Dustin Johnson move, nothing wrong with that. Good drill to force a better path and learn to rotate the face to square it up. Worth a try, like anything may work for some and may not work for others,the hard part of golf finding what works best for each individual.

Edited by Zenstb, 28 August 2017 - 11:56 AM.

• RobNewy likes this

#30 Zenstb

Zenstb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2694 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 28 August 2017 - 12:09 PM

Inside takeaway. Incorrect sequencing. Incorrect alignment. Lack of physical fitness.

I wouldn't be blaming OTT actions on the way the person holds the club, as a first thought.

To add to your list, backswing, reverse pivot, lateral hip slide on backswing. External hip rotation on back swing. Shoulder plane too flat or steep on backswing and transition phase.

Incorrect sequencing can be the root cause only if all the above are taken out of the equation first. However there is contradiction. Seen non of the above, great backswing etc have good sequencing and still over the top. Using 3D testing golfere sequencing, we have seen many good players and tour players still OTT. Craig Parry we can all relate to having OTT but has a pretty good kinetic link or sequencing. You can play with it or start trying ideas like RobNewy posted.

Edited by Zenstb, 28 August 2017 - 12:11 PM.

• Jack_Golfer likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users