• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 Madambo

Madambo

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 12137 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 05:09 PM

Curious if Americans consider it the least interesting of the 4 majors. They may look at it differently and consider The Open least interesting due to being overseas.

Certainly think with a bit of work the PGA could overtake US Open.

I prefer 4 very different types of events.  Masters (tick) US Open (tick) The Open (tick)  PGA (?)  Is it really that different than any other week of golf on tour?

• madness likes this

#17 chevychase

chevychase

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 05:48 PM

I prefer 4 very different types of events.  Masters (tick) US Open (tick) The Open (tick)  PGA (?)  Is it really that different than any other week of golf on tour?

Yes, because club Pros can qualify, and the fact that it is a 'major'. I enjoy all the majors because of the prestige of the winner being a 'major' champion. Look at some of the long shots who have won in good fields - Rich Beem, Mark Brooks, Shaun Micheel, Wayne Grady, Y.E. Yang, the list goes on. It's provided as many memorable moments as any of the other 3 in my opinion.

#18 AGQ

AGQ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 10 August 2017 - 06:52 PM

Yes, because club Pros can qualify, and the fact that it is a 'major'. I enjoy all the majors because of the prestige of the winner being a 'major' champion. Look at some of the long shots who have won in good fields - Rich Beem, Mark Brooks, Shaun Micheel, Wayne Grady, Y.E. Yang, the list goes on. It's provided as many memorable moments as any of the other 3 in my opinion.

Certainly can't forget the Y.E. Yang win. The one that broke the Tiger spell. Interesting that this was the only time he lost with a lead after 54 holes yet never won a major again.

Agree it is still a 'major' and should be treated as such. But still feel it could be bigger, especially on a World stage.

• chevychase and Madambo like this

Fulfilling my dream to play Australia's Top 100

AGD 2016 - 96 played

AGD 2014 - 98 played

GA - 2016 - 87 played

GA - 2014 - 92 played

#19 Madambo

Madambo

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 12137 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:36 PM

Does the move kill off potential idea of moving event Worldwide during an Olympic year now?

from pga of America

What's more important for our organization, when we put our strategic plan together with our board of directors, a global growth for The PGA of America is key to our success,” said Pete Bevacqua, CEO of The PGA of America. “Whereas we talked initially about potentially having an international PGA Championship, our focus now in terms of global growth is squarely on education and employment. Our PGA of America professionals who are the best trained professionals in the world, how do we bring them overseas to help them grow this game and how do we bring them overseas to help teach people how to grow the game. Will we ever do an international PGA Championship? I think the answer is not in the next ten years but it's something we will always consider because potentially at the right time for the organization, it could be an interesting move.”
  • AGQ likes this

#20 Madambo

Madambo

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 12137 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:12 AM

Do majors lose any of their luster when played at regular Tour stops?

Quail Hollow has been toughened-up since it last hosted the PGA Tour in 2016. But it still looks and feels more or less the same. Do majors lose any of their special sauce when conducted at regular Tour stops?

http://www.golf.com/...lar-tour-stops?

#21 Madambo

Madambo

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 12137 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:17 AM

• Ari and Francie like this

#22 voss

voss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1610 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 06:13 PM

The US PGA is approaching 100 years of existence next year. Why would there be thoughts of changing a format that has worked so well over this period. It is played on the best courses and for Australians it has been a very successful tournament. WG events are held on different continents each year and are hosted by the US Tour. There is no need to include a tournament of this tradition and stature on an expanded world stage. History is History !!

• chevychase and kevin123 like this

#23 Theguru

Theguru

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 09:46 AM

Nice finish from Jason
  • Gator_golf and MaxxOn like this

#24 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39860 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 13 August 2017 - 01:29 PM

Bloody Nora

Handicap

Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016

Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands

Goal: A round at par or better!

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Clubman of the Year

Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island

Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands

South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer

http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#25 MaxxOn

MaxxOn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18195 posts
  • Location.

Posted 13 August 2017 - 04:58 PM

Nice finish from Jason

That was some of the funniest shlt I have seen in a while.

#26 Madambo

Madambo

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 12137 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 01:34 PM

That was some of the funniest shlt I have seen in a while.

Wait till you play Nationals!

• MaxxOn likes this

#27 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Arnie's Army

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10150 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 14 August 2017 - 01:41 PM

Wait till you play Nationals!

In my group :D
  • Madambo and MaxxOn like this

Whatever you do, you do to yourself

http://dorsetgolfclub.com.au/

#28 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Arnie's Army

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10150 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 14 August 2017 - 01:43 PM

Good to see JT win the last Major this year. His efforts at The Masters were more than just sportsman like. Nice guys can finish first.
  • chevychase likes this

Whatever you do, you do to yourself

http://dorsetgolfclub.com.au/

#29 Madambo

Madambo

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 12137 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 03:52 PM

In my group :D

More crying than laughing!

• MaxxOn likes this

#30 chevychase

chevychase

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:05 PM

Good to see JT win the last Major this year. His efforts at The Masters were more than just sportsman like. Nice guys can finish first.

Thoroughly deserved. I expect JT, Spieth, Brooks Koepka and Dustin Johnson to be dominant forces in the next decade. If Rory can sort himself out he'll be amongst them too. I have serious doubts about Jason Day. I'm thinking he's a one-major-wonder, as well as his mate Adam Scott. That brain snap on 18 by Day was on par with Van de Velde's at Carnoustie.
  • MaxxOn likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users