#1 cBear

cBear

Suspect

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:28 AM

Good morning Guys

A little bit in the lurch on a few things so I was wondering if you could help me.

The handicap system seems a little different to the UK so I was wondering if someone could put it a little more simpler for me as well. Also, does anyone have any recommendations for Golf Clubs (which wont cost me an arm and a leg to join), I've seen the PGN but I was looking to play at a home course and rebuild my golf game, and hopefully one day start competing at a high level (that's the goal) . I use to be off 6.5 back in the UK, so I'm looking to get back it the game I use to adore. 

I'm also looking to get a custom fitted driver, does anyone have any places they recommend, and can i negotiate on getting a good deal and how would I go about this?

Cheers!

Col

#2 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8898 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:41 AM

Welcome to the mad house! 

Pretty sure that our WA constituents will fill you in on good clubs and club fitters near you.  

There are quite a few threads around whining about the complexity and inequity of the handicap system. Do a little search and knock yourself out. 

In summary though: 

1. you get a handicap via Golf Australia 

2. your playing handicap on the day depends on the scratch rating of the course and tees you are playing off. 

3. you play golf, and submit your score card with your result. 

4. your "played to" handicap will change dependent on how you went against the field. They apply statistical normalisation to the results, so if you have a great day out compared to the the field, then your played to score gets bumped up. Vice versa in the opposite scenario. 

6th March 2016 - Beat the ISG Matchplay Champion!

Posted Image

#3 cBear

cBear

Suspect

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:48 AM

Such a different system to the motherland but it makes sense though. 

#4 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4437 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:50 AM

Welcome to the mad house! 

Pretty sure that our WA constituents will fill you in on good clubs and club fitters near you.  

There are quite a few threads around whining about the complexity and inequity of the handicap system. Do a little search and knock yourself out. 

In summary though: 

1. you get a handicap via Golf Australia 

2. your playing handicap on the day depends on the scratch rating of the course and tees you are playing off. 

3. you play golf, and submit your score card with your result. 

4. your "played to" handicap will change dependent on how you went against the field. They apply statistical normalisation to the results, so if you have a great day out compared to the the field, then your played to score gets bumped up. Vice versa in the opposite scenario. 

*Slope rating

Good morning Guys

A little bit in the lurch on a few things so I was wondering if you could help me.

The handicap system seems a little different to the UK so I was wondering if someone could put it a little more simpler for me as well. Also, does anyone have any recommendations for Golf Clubs (which wont cost me an arm and a leg to join), I've seen the PGN but I was looking to play at a home course and rebuild my golf game, and hopefully one day start competing at a high level (that's the goal) . I use to be off 6.5 back in the UK, so I'm looking to get back it the game I use to adore. 

I'm also looking to get a custom fitted driver, does anyone have any places they recommend, and can i negotiate on getting a good deal and how would I go about this?

Cheers!

Col

Here is the explanation on how they work it out, http://www.golf.org....culateahandicap

Simply, your score for each is converted to a "played to" number. 

Your best 8 "played to" scores of your last 20 rounds are averaged to give you your handicap.

Your handicap is multiplied by the slope rating and divided by the neutral 113 rating to determine what handicap you play off at each course. So if your cap is 6.5 then off the back markers at my course (slope 136) you would get to play off 8, but at a course with a lower slope rating of say 118 you would play off 7, or if the slope rating was even lower at 100 you would play off 6. 

• GhettoGolfer and Chunky McChunkerson like this

#5 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8898 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 03 August 2017 - 05:09 PM

*Slope rating

Here is the explanation on how they work it out, http://www.golf.org....culateahandicap

Simply, your score for each is converted to a "played to" number. 

Your best 8 "played to" scores of your last 20 rounds are averaged to give you your handicap.

Your handicap is multiplied by the slope rating and divided by the neutral 113 rating to determine what handicap you play off at each course. So if your cap is 6.5 then off the back markers at my course (slope 136) you would get to play off 8, but at a course with a lower slope rating of say 118 you would play off 7, or if the slope rating was even lower at 100 you would play off 6. 

thanks for the correction guv - and yes, although I wrote Scratch Rating, I meant slope. Honest your honour! 

6th March 2016 - Beat the ISG Matchplay Champion!

Posted Image

#6 lucidair

lucidair

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1998 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 07:35 PM

where in perth?

#7 cBear

cBear

Suspect

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 07 August 2017 - 01:49 PM

I live in Mount Lawley mate. 

• Madambo likes this

#8 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2189 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 07 August 2017 - 02:11 PM

Two clubs near by. Mount Lawley Golf Club and WA Golf Club. Personally, I prefer WAGC as it has more variation and there are more spectacular views. The club house has got one of the best outlooks in Perth. I think it is probably cheaper too. Let me know if  you want to join.

• Madambo likes this

#9 Faker001

Faker001

Suspect

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 05:41 PM

I haven't hear about Perth.Where is it?

#10 MaxxOn

MaxxOn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18093 posts
  • Location.

Posted 07 August 2017 - 07:30 PM

And we have a new contender for the biggest numpty on here.
  • RobNewy likes this

#11 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22269 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 08 August 2017 - 01:07 PM

That's odd coming from you, Max.

#12 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11480 posts
  • LocationThirteen point twenty-four warning points

Posted 08 August 2017 - 01:27 PM

there's an old saying "when you're dead, you don't know that you're dead.

and then something something something that you're stupid too" 

so there you go, you're a numpty

"But sometimes there are more important things in life than being pedantic about the rules of golf, or spelling and grammar on golf forums"

#13 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11480 posts
  • LocationThirteen point twenty-four warning points

Posted 08 August 2017 - 03:48 PM

oh, is that you Max?!?

you had me confused brother, I didn't think it was you.

Hi :)

"But sometimes there are more important things in life than being pedantic about the rules of golf, or spelling and grammar on golf forums"

#14 Commish

Commish

No Rhyme Nor Reason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12952 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 08 August 2017 - 10:03 PM

oh, is that you Max?!?

you had me confused brother, I didn't think it was you.

Hi :)

They are both a myth.... :lol:

The key to success is to learn to do something right, then do it right every time. Oh I wish.....
Three time winner of the treasured WBT.
2012 ISG National Champs 2nd Round winner @ Robina Woods
2013 ISG National Champs 1st Round winner @ 'The Dunes'
2014 ISG National Champs - Top 10 finish - Played like a girl - MUNT GOLFER

2015 ISG National Champs - Deservedly crowned the National  N.A.G.A.
2016 ISG National Champs 4BBB champion with Francie

Hole in One - Rosnay GC, 157 metre Par 3 - 27th February 2015

http://www.golflink....k_no=2030804409

#15 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4591 posts
  • LocationProbably at work

Posted 08 August 2017 - 10:39 PM

Hi cBear. Whereabouts you from?