Photo

The Beacy Boys Do Bali

Chip In King Bali Bali

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18835 posts
  • LocationReclinng in The Bahamas ... in my mind.

Posted 21 June 2017 - 11:34 AM

Well its official, two of Beacys finest will be heading over to Bali next month. (Chip In King and myself)

By sheer coincidence, much like the following ad https://www.youtube....h?v=7g4Z1OYnlDM, ........ we will be there at the same time.

Now given the fact that neither of us were particularly enamoured with the respective families holiday destination choice, (now that Pelley is no longer around)  ...... it behooves us to try and make the best of the situation.

Now aside from wonderful Aussie tourist type activities to do over there, such as

• drug muling
  • coming a cropper off scooters
  • getting a bout of dysentery and / or cholera
  • tunneling our way out of Kerobokan, (a new Aussie tourist activity that appears to be very much "on trend")
  • and dancing in bars with girls that have bulges where their lady bits should be

..... we were at a bit of a loss as to how to fill in our time.

A brainwave did eventually strike us though .... we figured that surely, someplace on the island, there would be a patch of dirt that was flat enough to strike a golf ball (even if it was at the local tip).

And so from those humble beginnings, came the creation of what is to become, the greatest 2 Man Golf Tournament ever to be staged in South East Asia.

As our respective tour dates overlap by a week, we figure we can get at least a couple of games in, namely at Nirwana, and at Bali National, as they look like the best courses. (If we can squeeze in any additional games into that week, then I'm sure we will have a crack at it.)

We will run the tournament much like a progressive dinner (google them if you're under 40), and I figure that seeing as we are both off the same handicap these days, the tournaments format should be stroke.

I haven't run this by Chip In King yet, but I'm sure he'd agree, as its both our favourite form of the game (Actually, its the only one worth playing, but I digress).

We will also be taking our current "Par 3 ntp contest" on the road, and I believe we should probably settle up on our continuous six month long bet ....... at the conclusion of our last golf game over there.

At the moment I am ahead by the princely sum of around 20,000 Indonesian Rupiah, so it could get quite expense for Chip In King if I keep up the great work.

I figure we should probably get one of those huge oversized cheques made up for the presentation ..... the sight of all those zero's could be fun.

At the moment though we are just finalising the details, but it should be great fun, and hopefully make the trip at least bearable.

God knows what we are going to do when were not playing golf.

With neither of us knowing too much about the place though (you may have worked that out by now) ...... are there other things we should try and do whilst stuck over there? 

• Weetbix likes this
http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner
2016 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner (Pending successful legal action)

EVENT WINS
2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team
2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)
2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)
2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)
2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.
"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2016.

#2 hack2489

hack2489

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 21 June 2017 - 11:57 AM

More importantly, what golf ball are you going to use? Added heat, humidity, and there effects on compression, ball flight and distance will surely need serious consideration.

Then, there's your clothing choice.

And, what stats will you keep each round. Fluid intake would surely be key here? But, do you include pre round and post round data?

Hmmm.

Lots to consider.

Are you sure it's worth the hassle?

#3 RobNewy

RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10242 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:18 PM

Gaz im curious

What is the attraction with Bali?
  • Francie likes this

#4 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32530 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:19 PM

Gaz im curious

Yeah....not top of my list of locations.   Did you have any say in the location Gaz?   :unsure:

Inaugural winner "Castlemaine" Vic ISG golf day 2009
Inaugural Victorian OOM Putting Champion - Long Island 2011
Inaugural ISG National Golf Champion - Queensland September 2012

Inaugural winner Casey Rotary Golf Day 2012 - Part of the 'Dream Team'
Hole In One - 7th Hole Portsea GC - 9/10/2012
Long drive "champion" - Stinks 3 club challenge - 22/9/2013

Shipwreck Coast Classic - B Grade Men Winner (Warrnambool) - 9/11/2013

Inaugural holder - ISG TBPNTHWAOOM trophy - 2015

Eagle - Par 4 - 18th at St. Andrews Beach - 1/9/2015​
Holder - Brass yacht trophy - 2015

Player of the Year (VPGC) - 2015

Winner - ISG Tombstone event - Lang Lang - 4/9/2016

Half of 4BBB Champion team with Commish - 2016 National Event

Half of winning finalist - Doubles Match-play team (VPGC) - 2016

​Team member - Winners of Australian ...... Matchplay Championship - 18/11/2016

Veterans Champion (VPGC) - 2016 

"If a foursome is pressing you, wave them through - and then speed up." - Deane Beman

http://www.golflink....k_No=3013311351

Lowest ever handicap - 7.5

#5 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18835 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 01:02 PM

Gaz im curious

I have no idea Robbie, as it certainly doesn't appeal to me, given all the dromana's that go on there.

It seems however, that I was outvoted on a choice of holiday destination. (I would have voted for pretty much anywhere else, given a choice)

I believe it was the DIR and her hubby who first announced they wanted to go there, (being of a younger generation Bali, apparently is a place that a lot of their gen like to go to).

Then the Beloved announced that she was also going, so the die was pretty well cast for me then. I'd much rather be with them and keep an eye on them, rather than sit at home.

• RobNewy likes this

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

2016 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner (Pending successful legal action)

EVENT WINS
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog.

#6 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18835 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 01:13 PM

More importantly, what golf ball are you going to use? Added heat, humidity, and there effects on compression, ball flight and distance will surely need serious consideration.

Then, there's your clothing choice.

And, what stats will you keep each round. Fluid intake would surely be key here? But, do you include pre round and post round data?

Hmmm.

Lots to consider.

Are you sure it's worth the hassle?

I figure I'll stick my usual nxt tour balls, and just play for my summer distances.

I have been playing around with both the rangefinder and GPS in getting them changed over to "yards" in readiness, which was amusing as on Saturday I was heading down the 1st at Beacy trying to get them both back to "metres". (It took me about 3 holes to get them set back)

In terms of golfing ensembles, I figure with taking the clubs in their travel bag (approx. 11.5kgs when full), I'd have plenty of room for golfing attire, but I figure a pair of shorts, and just a couple of golf shirts at most, and I'll just pick up stuff once I'm there.

Hopefully they will have some golf gear that isn't beige, so who knows what I may turn up in at our next OOM.

Fluids I believe could well be an issue, as I'm not sure the water over there is actually good enough to wash your car with, let alone imbibe. Perhaps I might have to take a pebble to suck on as I go around 18 holes instead. I'll suss out the water situation once we arrive at our digs.

We've booked a villa at some place called "semen-yak" which doesn't bode well.

Hopefully though it will be like the villa we stayed in during our time over in Tuscany, surrounded by rolling green hills and vineyards ...... but somehow I doubt it. :huh:

As for it being "worth the hassle", I'm yet to be convinced .......... however if the golf is fun, The Beloved gets herself some market type bargains, and the grandson enjoys two weeks splashing about in the villa's pool ..... who knows, it could be. ;)

EVENT WINS

#7 Madambo

Madambo

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 11611 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 01:23 PM

I figure I'll stick my usual nxt tour balls, and just play for my summer distances.

I have been playing around with both the rangefinder and GPS in getting them changed over to "yards" in readiness, which was amusing as on Saturday I was heading down the 1st at Beacy trying to get them both back to "metres". (It took me about 3 holes to get them set back)

In terms of golfing ensembles, I figure with taking the clubs in their travel bag (approx. 11.5kgs when full), I'd have plenty of room for golfing attire, but I figure a pair of shorts, and just a couple of golf shirts at most, and I'll just pick up stuff once I'm there.

Hopefully they will have some golf gear that isn't beige, so who knows what I may turn up in at our next OOM.

Fluids I believe could well be an issue, as I'm not sure the water over there is actually good enough to wash your car with, let alone imbibe. Perhaps I might have to take a pebble to suck on as I go around 18 holes instead. I'll suss out the water situation once we arrive at our digs.

We've booked a villa at some place called "semen-yak" which doesn't bode well.

Hopefully though it will be like the villa we stayed in during our time over in Tuscany, surrounded by rolling green hills and vineyards ...... but somehow I doubt it. :huh:

As for it being "worth the hassle", I'm yet to be convinced .......... however if the golf is fun, The Beloved gets herself some market type bargains, and the grandson enjoys two weeks splashing about in the villa's pool ..... who knows, it could be. ;)

play Bali National. Check Inside Golf mag a couple months back for review

#8 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18835 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 01:28 PM

play Bali National. Check Inside Golf mag a couple months back for review

Yep, its on our list, for the 2nd round of the tournament I believe Mads, on what we like to call "Moving Day" (given we may have a dose of Bali belly by then)  ...... :(

Edited by GPJ_Longdriver, 21 June 2017 - 01:28 PM.

EVENT WINS

#9 Madambo

Madambo

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 11611 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 02:12 PM

Yep, its on our list, for the 2nd round of the tournament I believe Mads, on what we like to call "Moving Day" (given we may have a dose of Bali belly by then)  ...... :(

Nirwana Bali for the other?

#10 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18835 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 02:22 PM

Nirwana Bali for the other?

Indeed.

I believe its closing at the end of next month, so it appears we may just get there in time.

• Madambo likes this

EVENT WINS

#11 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8842 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 21 June 2017 - 08:35 PM

There are a shed load of words in Gaz's OP.......
6th March 2016 - Beat the ISG Matchplay Champion!

Posted Image

#12 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22208 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 21 June 2017 - 10:17 PM

Gaz, I understand the local mushrooms can be quite 'tasty'.

#13 *Mouldy

*Mouldy

I am a recovering shankaholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15816 posts
  • Location45 deg right of my last shot

Posted 21 June 2017 - 10:24 PM

Bali = Bogan

Cheap beer + cheap food + cheap illness

Wouldn't go there on a free trip.

Playing golf you'll possibly get away from all the people continually trying to sell you something that you'll never need.

I'm no surfer but I believe some parts of Indonesia have great waves.

The only other sanctuary is the hotel pool. Just don't swallow

Shanklink

OOM Tour

I am mid table mediocrity !

Baconwide Tour

Runner up 2015 Stink's 3 club challenge at Yarrambat

NAGA with Benny 2014 4bbb Championship at St Andrews Beach

Team Mercedes with Muff runners up 2017 4bbb Chanpionship Flinders

Runner up 2017 Southern Invitational

Winner 2017 Keysborough Invitational

Choppers Tour

Winner 2014 Ghetto's Placegetter Challenge at Sunshine

Winner 2015 Airy's invitational at Melbourne Airport

#14 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18835 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 07:42 AM

Bali = Bogan

Cheap beer + cheap food + cheap illness

Wouldn't go there on a free trip.

Playing golf you'll possibly get away from all the people continually trying to sell you something that you'll never need.

I'm no surfer but I believe some parts of Indonesia have great waves.

The only other sanctuary is the hotel pool. Just don't swallow

Hey Rob,

Yeah most of it holds little appeal.

It could be that we're closeted in the high walled villa for two weeks, which wouldn't be bad, given we've got servants for everything, and the pool is about 3 steps from our bedroom.

The rest of the tribe are sort of planning what they want to do, including wanting to go and get their valuables fleeced by a bunch of rampant monkeys in a forest, and see some temples, and of course, go and buy some cheap crap at a market or two, none of which really appeals to me, (so good days for a game of golf I figure).

No doubt we'll all find something to occupy our time and possibly enjoy ourselves, so long as we stay out of gaol.

EVENT WINS

#15 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18835 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 07:43 AM

There are a shed load of words in Gaz's OP.......

Does your brain hurt from reading Sammi?

EVENT WINS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users