Notupnotin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • LocationLeicester City

Posted 13 June 2017 - 03:03 PM

Mixed feelings on a recent clubfitting.

I recently cracked my driver so thought I'd get fit for the first time. People generally think from my swing I should hit the ball super far. Drivers swings are nearly always in the 100-105 mph range (radar) but seemingly well struck shots with good shape wouldn't go much beyond 220 m. It's baffled me for a long time actually.

I went to a high-tech place with a good reputation, and even rang a pro who knew the place well and could impartially tell me who their best fitter was.

There was definitely no brand pushing, which was nice.

Hitting multiple shafts with my head of first choice didn't really make any shaft stand out. Trying shafts with my second choice head did have one shaft stand out as far as balance and thus repeatability went. Unfortunately that shaft couldn't be quick-fit to my first choice head (but could be ordered with it) so it left me wondering if I should risk the untested combination. I didn't and went with what worked.

Going to the fitter I was just expecting to benefit from modern heads and the shaft loading correctly, but the balance seemed to get my swing in a better place. I could let go more.

At the fitting session Doppler was now telling me I had 270 m drives, so unless the software was juiced between my driver and the new one, I was seeing a 50 m increase. Swing speeds were up about 5 mph (105-110 mph), backspin about half with attack angles now in the positive. Now whether this was partially me adjusting the swing upon seeing the club data, or the club just suited me better, I don't know.

A subsequent range session with the same speed radar unit I used to always see 100-105 mph, I'm now seeing 115-117 mph consistently with the occasional drift up to 120 mph when I try to really try to give it something. The drivers were the same length as well.

I feel however that despite getting a substantially better fit compared to my previous hand-me-down driver, I didn't feel I was optimally fit. And I feel this is because the fitter, like most, came from a pro golfing background rather than a technical background--they'll just be going through a processes learnt at a weekend fitting certifications rather than that life of research and driving forward the field say like Tom Wishon does. I really don't need my fitter to regularly shoot in the 60s or drive 300 m. 

If I ask for the software's session file to be emailed to me so I can consult it in future, I don't want to see an initial blank look and receive a near useless best guess in my inbox, as happened. I don't want to hear their claims that they have the most accurate stuff in the business if all they're going on is what the salesman said. I find that questions I would like to know the answers to would leave them stumped and just make for an awkward session. I just remained quiet and listened, whereas I feel I could really get so much more out of the session from a true expert.

So happy with the club and the $900 for fitting and club was worth it, but just have that feeling that I wasn't optimally fit. I did get fit for irons too, but didn't feel confident in the process to purchase a new set that I was planning on.

So what was the distance gain? you've gained 10 mph approx. in speed.

-2015 ISG Vic OOM#1 GROWLING FROG "B" Grade & Overall Winner
-2016 Team winner of the Vincent Cup @ Barwon Heads
-2017 ISG Vic OOM#1 Growling Frog "B" Grade Winner & N/P

-2017 GDGA Div 5 pennant winners (Winchelsea)

Single figures reached(9.5) on 28//8/2016
H/C 8.7 on 11/3/17

PB Round 73/9/64 (11/3/17)
http://www.golflink....49&dt=1&skip=1#

https://www.gamegolf.../player/keggolf

#18 Shimonko

Shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4922 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 04:13 PM

I have only been out to a range since which has landing areas making it hard to tell (bush and hills). Definitely a big increase at the range - I just can't tell how much.

• Notupnotin likes this

#19 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2142 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 12:36 AM

Given that we don't play golf on dead flat surfaces and we have to adjust our body geometry for every shot (therefore changing the lie angle on every shot) the idea that there is perfect lie angle for each player is clearly nonsense.

There is also no perfect club length as this has a direct relationship to lie angle. The general vibe from the number (8 or so )club fitter I've spoken to is to "fit" players into the longest clubs they can hit to maximize distance (because apparently hitting a PW 120 is the new norm for 18 handicappers); and they then adjust the lie angles to suit that length of club.

Unfortunately most of them only check a 5i and then adjust all other clubs from that point. In my own clubs this always leaves the longer irons too upright leading to hooks. Every set I've received I toddle of and have the 3 and 4 bent flatter  (sometimes the 9 and PW bent more upright).

All that aside the process of "club fitting" in my experience makes 3/5 of ffaaarkall difference; when compared to playing more golf. Smoke and mirrors used to convince choppers they are going to miraculously play better with their latest set of wonder bats.

Yep Itchy, I understand the graduated increase/decrease in lie throughout a set of irons from what is not really a standard as it changes from one manufacturer to the next. For me it just all becomes pretty academic on the golf course once the ball is 2+ inches above or below my feet and I have to actually control club face/club path from a less than standard body position.

That was pretty much my point; obviously we should have clubs that are within a bulls roar for comfort sake; but actually playing golf and learning to control flight with club face and path always trumped blind faith in an arbitrary set of angles a club fitter decided was my best.

Chuck in some of my own club delivery inconsistency week to week and it gets very interesting B)

So I probably hit a 6 iron 4 or 5 times in a round of golf and the shape of shot, trajectory, distance etc are completely different for each shot.

Each shot requiring its own level of power, shaft lean etc to produce the necessary ball flight. So what strength/spin characteristic shaft should I extract from my quiver of spares? :unsure:

Oops I selected just the right shaft for my low spin into wind knockdown but because I'm not a robot I hit that one 2 grooves to high on the face and changed the spin rate by 700rpm ….up she went and into the front bunker ..... silly me :blink:

This is just an example of how any shaft/club selection pales into insignificants compared to a golfers input. Should have hit the 5 iron .....

Honestly 2Putts do you ever re-read some of the tripe that you post or do you really believe the total BS you're forcing down this forums throat ?

Stop now before you head into Zen space.

Jon...

• pegasus2357 and 75@Dorset like this

#20 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33033 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 14 June 2017 - 04:59 AM

Honestly 2Putts do you ever re-read some of the tripe that you post or do you really believe the total BS you're forcing down this forums throat ?

Jon...

Now there's a person we haven't heard from for a while.

Inaugural winner "Castlemaine" Vic ISG golf day 2009
Inaugural Victorian OOM Putting Champion - Long Island 2011
Inaugural ISG National Golf Champion - Queensland September 2012

Inaugural winner Casey Rotary Golf Day 2012 - Part of the 'Dream Team'
Hole In One - 7th Hole Portsea GC - 9/10/2012
Long drive "champion" - Stinks 3 club challenge - 22/9/2013

Shipwreck Coast Classic - B Grade Men Winner (Warrnambool) - 9/11/2013

Inaugural holder - ISG TBPNTHWAOOM trophy - 2015

Eagle - Par 4 - 18th at St. Andrews Beach - 1/9/2015​
Holder - Brass yacht trophy - 2015

Player of the Year (VPGC) - 2015

Winner - ISG Tombstone event - Lang Lang - 4/9/2016

Half of 4BBB Champion team with Commish - 2016 National Event

Half of winning finalist - Doubles Match-play team (VPGC) - 2016

​Team member - Winners of Australian ...... Matchplay Championship - 18/11/2016

Veterans Champion (VPGC) - 2016 

"If a foursome is pressing you, wave them through - and then speed up." - Deane Beman

http://www.golflink....k_No=3013311351

Lowest ever handicap - 7.5

#21 hack2489

hack2489

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:11 AM

Mixed feelings on a recent clubfitting.

I recently cracked my driver so thought I'd get fit for the first time. People generally think from my swing I should hit the ball super far. Drivers swings are nearly always in the 100-105 mph range (radar) but seemingly well struck shots with good shape wouldn't go much beyond 220 m. It's baffled me for a long time actually.

I went to a high-tech place with a good reputation, and even rang a pro who knew the place well and could impartially tell me who their best fitter was.

There was definitely no brand pushing, which was nice.

Hitting multiple shafts with my head of first choice didn't really make any shaft stand out. Trying shafts with my second choice head did have one shaft stand out as far as balance and thus repeatability went. Unfortunately that shaft couldn't be quick-fit to my first choice head (but could be ordered with it) so it left me wondering if I should risk the untested combination. I didn't and went with what worked.

Going to the fitter I was just expecting to benefit from modern heads and the shaft loading correctly, but the balance seemed to get my swing in a better place. I could let go more.

At the fitting session Doppler was now telling me I had 270 m drives, so unless the software was juiced between my driver and the new one, I was seeing a 50 m increase. Swing speeds were up about 5 mph (105-110 mph), backspin about half with attack angles now in the positive. Now whether this was partially me adjusting the swing upon seeing the club data, or the club just suited me better, I don't know.

A subsequent range session with the same speed radar unit I used to always see 100-105 mph, I'm now seeing 115-117 mph consistently with the occasional drift up to 120 mph when I try to really try to give it something. The drivers were the same length as well.

I feel however that despite getting a substantially better fit compared to my previous hand-me-down driver, I didn't feel I was optimally fit. And I feel this is because the fitter, like most, came from a pro golfing background rather than a technical background--they'll just be going through a processes learnt at a weekend fitting certifications rather than that life of research and driving forward the field say like Tom Wishon does. I really don't need my fitter to regularly shoot in the 60s or drive 300 m. 

If I ask for the software's session file to be emailed to me so I can consult it in future, I don't want to see an initial blank look and receive a near useless best guess in my inbox, as happened. I don't want to hear their claims that they have the most accurate stuff in the business if all they're going on is what the salesman said. I find that questions I would like to know the answers to would leave them stumped and just make for an awkward session. I just remained quiet and listened, whereas I feel I could really get so much more out of the session from a true expert.

So happy with the club and the $900 for fitting and club was worth it, but just have that feeling that I wasn't optimally fit. I did get fit for irons too, but didn't feel confident in the process to purchase a new set that I was planning on.

I was looking at this post again this morning, and it sort of dawned on me ...

How refreshing it is for someone to have a 'not as expected' experience, but share it without slagging off the business or person, and in this case, not even mention their name, or location.

Good Karma to you Shimonko. Oh, wait you already got that with your swing speed increase and extra distance. :rolleyes:

• RobNewy likes this

#22 2Putts

2Putts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9702 posts
  • LocationDown on the farm

Posted 14 June 2017 - 11:40 AM

Jon...

Cheer up John ... nobody is forcing you or anybody else to agree .... quite liked Zen; lovely fellow ....

• Madambo and Goldy like this

http://www.golf.org....icap/2121504048

I'm sure I won something sometime.... somewhere ...

#23 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4531 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 14 June 2017 - 11:50 AM

Posted at 12.36am. 

I know how drunk I am if I'm posting that late at night, I can only presume it is the same for other people. 

• Madambo and koiom K Frenzy like this

#24 75@Dorset

75@Dorset

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 03:35 PM

Cheer up John ... nobody is forcing you or anybody else to agree .... quite liked Zen; lovely fellow ....

I like how none of your posts actually gave feedback on a club fitting experience (all 8 of them) but just slagged off how BS the whole thing is. Do you ever play from a level stance on a tee box?

My experience was for a driver fitting, indoors at a screen with Trackman. Couldn't be happier with the process, tried lots of heads, all stiff shafts and ended up with a club that was tipped 1" to stiffen up which compensated for my action through the ball. The fitter was a coach I have seen in the past and he even gave me a mini lesson while I was there. Well worth it, as I nw feel so much more confident when I am standing on the tee with the big stick.....as the OP said, I have a feeling now that fitting is as much about being confident that swinging correctly will certainly have the desired result and you can step up to the ball, confident that the club will work as required if the Indian is swinging it as planned, regardless of the type of stance you have.

• OldBogey and hack2489 like this

#25 2Putts

2Putts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9702 posts
  • LocationDown on the farm

Posted 14 June 2017 - 04:17 PM

My feedback is that the 8 or so fitters I've spoken to showed me that the industry is a smoke and mirrors exercise that oversells, overpromises and under-delivers, especially when compared to other options.

I see that as a symptom of the fact that club fitting often (and in my view rightly) plays a very distant second fiddle to golf instruction given by PGA pros; followed by people hitting lots of golf balls and playing more golf. Of course it is just my view that when people work out what actually leads to improvement, club fitting becomes a bit of hard sell.

The OP asked for people to share their experiences .... not all experiences are the same. Pretty sure I mentioned some repeated issues with long irons somewhere along the line .....

Level tee box? ... not if I can avoid it.

Edited by 2Putts, 14 June 2017 - 04:30 PM.

• Goldy likes this

http://www.golf.org....icap/2121504048

I'm sure I won something sometime.... somewhere ...

#26 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • 33033 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 14 June 2017 - 11:57 PM

Posted at 12.36am. 

I know how drunk I am if I'm posting that late at night, I can only presume it is the same for other people. 

Sometimes at that time....I can be sober.....if I'm at work.   ;)

"If a foursome is pressing you, wave them through - and then speed up." - Deane Beman

#27 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4531 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 15 June 2017 - 07:21 AM

Sometimes at that time....I can be sober.....if I'm at work. ;)

That must really suck
  • Francie likes this

#28 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4531 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 15 June 2017 - 07:27 AM

Sometimes at that time....I can be sober.....if I'm at work. ;)

Aaannnd youre still at work?

Maybe we'll get drunk Francie at 12.36 pm.
  • Madambo likes this

#29 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • 33033 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 15 June 2017 - 07:31 AM

Aaannnd youre still at work?
Maybe we'll get drunk Francie at 12.36 pm.

At 12.36 pm today....hopefully catching ZZZZZzzzzzz still.
  • Itchy4Scratch likes this

#30 hack2489

hack2489

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 15 June 2017 - 07:40 AM

My feedback is that the 8 or so fitters I've spoken to showed me that the industry is a smoke and mirrors exercise that oversells, overpromises and under-delivers, especially when compared to other options ...

Hey 2P, are these 'fitters' PGA members or just 'sales peeps' in a retail store?

The OP asked for people to share their experiences .... not all experiences are the same ...

100%.

As the OP, my thought was to get a conversation started and collect some feedback / experiences that others could use to evaluate whether club fitting was something that would help them. I know I looked around on here for info about it before I embarked on the process.

... as a symptom of the fact that club fitting often (and in my view rightly) plays a very distant second fiddle to golf instruction given by PGA pros; followed by people hitting lots of golf balls and playing more golf. Of course it is just my view that when people work out what actually leads to improvement, club fitting becomes a bit of hard sell.

Anyone who thinks a club fitting will magically produce fantastic shots is probably a little naive. Same too anyone who thinks the newest shiny heavily marketed driver is going to magically make them bomb 300m drives. But, as part of the process of improvement, hitting the wrong flex shafts or wrong style of club, can't be good for someone looking to improve. But, once those things are sorted, it's the lessons, practice and use program that is needed.

After a while though, many people will find they need to change their gear. Either swing mechanics are stronger, so shaft flex needs changing, or ball striking is better so they can move on from game improvement clubs. Again, having a professional club fitter help with that process has to be better than taking a stab yourself and hoping what the retailer sells you will work.

But, then again, I'm a Hack, so what I think is probably not worth even $0.02. :huh:

• Notupnotin, Chunky McChunkerson and Itchy4Scratch like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users