#1 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11675 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 30 May 2017 - 05:25 PM

There is always plenty of discussion on here about the rules of golf & how unfair some of them are but how about the local rules that some clubs put into place. In my travels I have seen a few instances of strange local rules & plenty of unacceptable ones. So here is an opportunity for members to post some of the strange local rules that they have seen in their golfing travels.

At my last club , for many years. they had a local rule on a par three over water requiring any player that put their tee shot in the water hazard to take a drop in the drop zone that was 100 m closer to the hole. This was not an island green and there was 70m of fairway in front of the green that you could aim for if you could not reach the green.The reason for the rule was to speed up play.

Another local club has a local rule in place giving players preferred lie through the green. The fairways at this place are as good as any in Qld at the moment but the local rule is still in place

Member of the Vision Test Pilot Project.
No VTPP11

#2 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4748 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 30 May 2017 - 05:31 PM

Who cares? Same rules for everyone so if it increases the enjoyment of the club members, i dont see the issue.
  • Monty85 and seve_ like this

#3 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11675 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 30 May 2017 - 05:46 PM

Who cares? Same rules for everyone so if it increases the enjoyment of the club members, i dont see the issue.

Easier? Well lets look at the 2nd example. Definitely makes it easier for the players as long as they do not leave their and go and play somewhere else where their handicap, which is probably not a realistic reflection of their true ability, could leave them at a serious disadvantage.

No VTPP11

#4 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4748 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 30 May 2017 - 05:51 PM

Easier? Well lets look at the 2nd example. Definitely makes it easier for the players as long as they do not leave their and go and play somewhere else where their handicap, which is probably not a realistic reflection of their true ability, could leave them at a serious disadvantage.

Would having local rules such as that not naturally make the dsr lower which would reduce the impact significantly?

And it's only disadvantage the club members who choose to play there, it doesn't affect anyone outside the club

#5 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22683 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 30 May 2017 - 06:06 PM

I agree, Pom. There are heaps of dubious local rules out there, many of which go against the rules.

But as Itchy said, all in the comp are playing on those rules, so it matters little.

If a player ends up with a handicap that's lower than it should be, and he plays elsewhere, it doesn't affect anyone else.

The important thing is to always read the local rules and temporary local rules, particularly this time of year.
Preferred Lies might be a card length, a handspan, a club length, through the green or closely mown only.

#6 Lukos87

Lukos87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 06:11 PM

I remember that old olinda course having preferred lies basically everywhere, that was crazy. We were playing match play and we would go bush looking for my opponents ball and once we found the ball in destination fcuked he always managed to find a lie he could get it in play from.

Edited by Lukos87, 30 May 2017 - 06:12 PM.

#7 Goldy

Goldy

Got any Greek in you?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36251 posts
  • LocationWant some?

Posted 30 May 2017 - 06:14 PM

My course had a garden bed rule, whereby if you found yourself in one, you got free relief. This rule was rescinded in November.

It's had quite an effect...particularly on certain holes, like the 4th.

Ask Carson.
  • koiom K Frenzy and Short Putt Man like this

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015 | Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid / Srixon AD333 ball | Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole Kooindah Waters 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.
Goldlink

#8 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40265 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 30 May 2017 - 06:27 PM

There should be a universal rule that if you lose your ball in that stupid blade grass you not only get free relief but if you can find the person who planted them you can punch them in the guts for being fuckknuckles
  • Goldy, Gator_golf, Phil Mycrackin and 1 other like this

Handicap

Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016

Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands

Goal: A round at par or better!

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Clubman of the Year

Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island

Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands

South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer

http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#9 Ji Bao He

Ji Bao He

ISG AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL 4BBB CHAMPION, WITH HARRO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16524 posts
  • Location#KW #CHAMPION

Posted 30 May 2017 - 06:36 PM

where is this course Pom??? May send the complainers from my club their way
DEBUT: US Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA 2016
DEBUT: ANA Inspirational LPGA Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA 2016
Reacquainted myself with Karrie Webb, Australia's Greatest Golfer

#10 Ji Bao He

Ji Bao He

ISG AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL 4BBB CHAMPION, WITH HARRO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16524 posts
  • Location#KW #CHAMPION

Posted 30 May 2017 - 06:38 PM

There should be a universal rule that if you lose your ball in that stupid blade grass you not only get free relief but if you can find the person who planted them you can punch them in the guts for being fuckknuckles

Oi karnt!!!!!!!! Do you know how hard it is to plant that grass blade by blade?????

Love the phrase fuckknuckle though .....!!!!!!!!
  • Weetbix, Phil Mycrackin and Rsc41 like this
DEBUT: US Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA 2016
DEBUT: ANA Inspirational LPGA Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA 2016
Reacquainted myself with Karrie Webb, Australia's Greatest Golfer

#11 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40265 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 30 May 2017 - 06:50 PM

My favourite swear word

Handicap

Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016

Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands

Goal: A round at par or better!

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Clubman of the Year

Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island

Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands

South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer

http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#12 Rsc41

Rsc41

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • LocationLadies Tee, 2nd Shot

Posted 30 May 2017 - 07:27 PM

Oi karnt!!!!!!!! Do you know how hard it is to plant that grass blade by blade?????

Love the phrase fuckknuckle though .....!!!!!!!!

Should be a local rule that if your ball gets plugged around the 3rd green cause its soo fukcing wet you get relief. My ball was so plugged last week the surface had folded back over the top like a little trap door! 

• Ji Bao He and seve_ like this

#13 seve_

seve_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1297 posts
  • LocationSandbelt Country

Posted 30 May 2017 - 07:54 PM

Should be a local rule that if your ball gets plugged around the 3rd green cause its soo fukcing wet you get relief. My ball was so plugged last week the surface had folded back over the top like a little trap door! 

If it was that wet surely casual water could have been in effect

#14 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11675 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 30 May 2017 - 08:03 PM

I agree, Pom. There are heaps of dubious local rules out there, many of which go against the rules.

But as Itchy said, all in the comp are playing on those rules, so it matters little.

If a player ends up with a handicap that's lower than it should be, and he plays elsewhere, it doesn't affect anyone else.

The important thing is to always read the local rules and temporary local rules, particularly this time of year.
Preferred Lies might be a card length, a handspan, a club length, through the green or closely mown only.

How about a local rule ( not posted ) that if a player adds up his stableford points incorrectly he is disqualified.Sorts out a few visitors I believe.

No VTPP11

#15 Rsc41

Rsc41

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • LocationLadies Tee, 2nd Shot

Posted 30 May 2017 - 08:04 PM

If it was that wet surely casual water could have been in effect

Not really "water" just soft ground, almost muddy

0 user(s) are reading this topic