• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 meown

meown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 09:00 PM

Golfers are invited to give suggestions on how the rules should be changed. I would like to suggest a change to rules that govern professional golf. In this sphere, it seems, the golfer is only judged on the ability to hit the ball. This is because he or she is allowed to have a caddy that can give distances, decide wind assistance, tell the golfer the best place to land the ball, line up the putter on the green, etc, etc. Ridiculous. Make the golfer responsible for his game; the whole game. Not just the hitting bit. Rant over. But curious to hear your views.  John

• madness likes this

#2 Cats are Farked

Cats are Farked

Only karnts own cats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18624 posts
  • LocationKilling Cats

Posted 29 May 2017 - 09:40 PM

May I suggest that if you are going to ask "what do you do when someone throws a club" and you give 5 alternatives, is that all of them are things you can do. Not things that you just think or cross your mind. Otherwise the question is, "what is your reaction".

"think it was funny" and "feel uncomfortable" are not things you decide to do, they are reactions.

If you are doing a survey, you need to think about the questions. Seriously.

• Itchy4Scratch likes this

#3 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4879 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 29 May 2017 - 11:10 PM

Not only do I think club throwing should be allowed under the new rules, i think it should be encouraged.

Rule 57.1 note 3.

If a player makes a stroke and proceeds to throw the club further than the total distance travelled by the ball, the stroke does not count and the player shall play the ball as it lies from the new position.
  • Ji Bao He, Goldy, Snappy McSnapperton and 1 other like this

#4 ColinCL

ColinCL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 30 May 2017 - 02:25 AM

Not only do I think club throwing should be allowed under the new rules, i think it should be encouraged.

Rule 57.1 note 3.

If a player makes a stroke and proceeds to throw the club further than the total distance travelled by the ball, the stroke does not count and the player shall play the ball as it lies from the new position.

Will that be from the new position of the ball or the club?  ;)

• pom, Madambo and Cats are Farked like this

#5 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4879 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 30 May 2017 - 11:04 AM

Will that be from the new position of the ball or the club? ;)

The ball, we don't want the rules to be abused Colin.
  • pom, Madambo, languid and 2 others like this

#6 Ji Bao He

Ji Bao He

ISG AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL 4BBB CHAMPION, WITH HARRO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16547 posts
  • Location#KW #CHAMPION

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:49 PM

Rule 57.1 note 3.

Happy to read this then,

Attached Files

DEBUT: US Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA 2016
DEBUT: ANA Inspirational LPGA Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA 2016
Reacquainted myself with Karrie Webb, Australia's Greatest Golfer

#7 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2213 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 11:09 PM

Golfers are invited to give suggestions on how the rules should be changed. I would like to suggest a change to rules that govern professional golf. In this sphere, it seems, the golfer is only judged on the ability to hit the ball. This is because he or she is allowed to have a caddy that can give distances, decide wind assistance, tell the golfer the best place to land the ball, line up the putter on the green, etc, etc. Ridiculous. Make the golfer responsible for his game; the whole game. Not just the hitting bit. Rant over. But curious to hear your views.  John

Can't you get someone to loop for you ? 

Why don't you pay a kid to carry and then you could teach them about the game and its nuances, instead of whinging about the pro's ?

I think your reasoning is flawed and maybe you should move into the 21st century re caddies.

Jon...  

#8 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22855 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:29 AM

Can't you get someone to loop for you ? 

Why don't you pay a kid to carry and then you could teach them about the game and its nuances, instead of whinging about the pro's ?

I think your reasoning is flawed and maybe you should move into the 21st century re caddies.

Jon...  

That was last century Jon.

New caddies are electronic gizmos that provide the player with precise information on which he can build a good shot.

Instead of making kids drag heavy loads around paddocks and have them abused by smart arses who think they know everything, teach them to design new gizmos and robots that many can benefit from.

#9 seve_

seve_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1299 posts
  • LocationSandbelt Country

Posted 21 August 2017 - 12:10 PM

I would take a caddy and a yardage book over a gizmo anyday
How does a gizmo read that putt on a green you have never seen

#10 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2213 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 02:10 PM

That was last century Jon.

New caddies are electronic gizmos that provide the player with precise information on which he can build a good shot.

Instead of making kids drag heavy loads around paddocks and have them abused by smart arses who think they know everything, teach them to design new gizmos and robots that many can benefit from.

For a learned man, you've totally missed the point that I'm trying to make.

I now wonder what type of golfers you play with out in the sticks, if your view is they are smart arses and would give a kid a hard time whilst caddying ?

Jon...

• pom and Weetbix like this

#11 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22855 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:26 PM

For a learned man, you've totally missed the point that I'm trying to make.
I now wonder what type of golfers you play with out in the sticks, if your view is they are smart arses and would give a kid a hard time whilst caddying ?
Jon...

Your words were "teach them about the game and its nuances".
Most of those who would employ a caddy wouldn't have the skills to effectively teach the kids but still believe that they could.
  • pom likes this

#12 johnno31

johnno31

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 03:16 PM

One serious rule change at least for non professional golfers would be to allow a free drop from unrepaired bunker footprints, be it from inconsiderate fellow golfers or marauding animals or washaways.
Very frustrating, and unfair, to have to play out of the footprint of some thoughtless prick who stomps up the bunker face and is too lazy to pick up a rake.
There are several at my club who do this regularly.

Edited by johnno31, 05 September 2017 - 03:17 PM.

• RobNewy and tigertuff like this

#13 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1691 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 01:22 PM

One serious rule change at least for non professional golfers would be to allow a free drop from unrepaired bunker footprints, be it from inconsiderate fellow golfers or marauding animals or washaways.
Very frustrating, and unfair, to have to play out of the footprint of some thoughtless prick who stomps up the bunker face and is too lazy to pick up a rake.
There are several at my club who do this regularly.

The Draft New Rules offer hope for these inconsiderate people to be dealt with in new ways
See Rule 1-2 Standards of Player Conduct

#14 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40401 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 30 September 2017 - 02:23 PM

The Draft New Rules offer hope for these inconsiderate people to be dealt with in new ways
See Rule 1-2 Standards of Player Conduct

How does that help the player who's ball has ended up buried inside someone else's footprints?

Handicap

Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016

Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands

Goal: A round at par or better!

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Clubman of the Year

Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island

Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands

South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer

http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#15 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1691 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 08:45 PM

How does that help the player who's ball has ended up buried inside someone else's footprints?

Potentially Committees will have punishment options under the Rules which could curb unacceptable behaviour of serial offenders.
Currently the Rules are weak? The Club needs to act under Code of Conduct, if it has something in place.
On the day the unrepaired footprints will be a menace.
The same applies to the idiot who leaves a bunker rake on the rear downslope.
  • pom likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users