• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 meown

meown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 05:50 PM

During a recent game, a friend and low handicap player, pointed out a player on an adjacent fairway having numerous practice swings within a hazard, brushing the grass each time. He opined that this was a breach of the rules.I suggested that as long as the club was never grounded, this was not illegal. My friend then said that if in a hazard you can't even touch the grass when making your swing: and I'm sure that can't be right. Am I potty on that one??  john

#2 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4626 posts
  • LocationProbably at work

Posted 29 May 2017 - 06:14 PM

Yep. Potty
I'm just pissed off OK? Don't ask.
READ EM AND WEEP
http://www.golflink....k_No=4072302355

#3 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4880 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 29 May 2017 - 06:32 PM

You're allowed to touch grass, even with practise swings I believe. You can't ground your club or move loose impediments with your back swing or practise swings.

It's another quality rule by the powers that be. You can touch the grass if it is rooted, you cant if it's loose and not attached because that is a loose impediment

#4 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4880 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 29 May 2017 - 06:40 PM

Who am I kidding, im probably wrong
  • Goldy likes this

#5 Goldy

Goldy

Got any Greek in you?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36488 posts
  • LocationWant some?

Posted 29 May 2017 - 07:05 PM

Who am I kidding, im probably wrong

Continuing a grand tradition of choppers providing half-truths to other choppers.

Good for you.
  • pom and Itchy4Scratch like this

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015 | Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid / Srixon AD333 ball | Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole Kooindah Waters 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.
Goldlink

#6 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11710 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 29 May 2017 - 10:08 PM

During a recent game, a friend and low handicap player, pointed out a player on an adjacent fairway having numerous practice swings within a hazard, brushing the grass each time. He opined that this was a breach of the rules.I suggested that as long as the club was never grounded, this was not illegal. My friend then said that if in a hazard you can't even touch the grass when making your swing: and I'm sure that can't be right. Am I potty on that one??  john

You are potty. Your friend is not. Grass is attached to the ground. Where would you say that the "ground" starts?

Member of the Vision Test Pilot Project.
No VTPP11

#7 ColinCL

ColinCL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 30 May 2017 - 02:23 AM

You are quite correct and your friend is wrong.  There is no breach of rules by touching growing grass with your club in a practice swing or when making a stroke.  Some caution needs to be taken with regard to how many practice swings you take.  You could be seen to be testing the condition of the hazard if you do it excessively. See Decision 13-4/4

http://www.usga.org/...sion-13,d13-4-4

• seve_ likes this

#8 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2964 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 03:53 AM

You don't specify if was a bunker or water hazard but in addition to the last post above see

http://www.usga.org/...sion-13,d13-4-8

#9 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40419 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 30 May 2017 - 07:11 AM

You are potty. Your friend is not. Grass is attached to the ground. Where would you say that the "ground" starts?

Doesn't seem like the gurus agree with you Pom! :o

Handicap

Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016

Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands

Goal: A round at par or better!

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Clubman of the Year

Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island

Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands

South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer

http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#10 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2964 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 07:34 AM

What the 'gurus' say is of no matter. The Rule says meown is right.

Edited by AAA, 30 May 2017 - 07:37 AM.

#11 meown

meown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 01:52 PM

Thanks for all the imput guys/gals

#12 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4880 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 30 May 2017 - 02:01 PM

Wait, does this mean I'm also right? 

What a time to be alive

• BumpunRun, languid, Monty85 and 2 others like this

#13 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11710 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 30 May 2017 - 04:02 PM

Doesn't seem like the gurus agree with you Pom! :o

Not the first time either. :D

• Weetbix likes this
No VTPP11

#14 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11710 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 30 May 2017 - 04:05 PM

You are quite correct and your friend is wrong.  There is no breach of rules by touching growing grass with your club in a practice swing or when making a stroke.  Some caution needs to be taken with regard to how many practice swings you take.  You could be seen to be testing the condition of the hazard if you do it excessively. See Decision 13-4/4

http://www.usga.org/...sion-13,d13-4-4

How do you define"Testing the conditions? to see a player taking a practice swing in a hazard swinging the club through the grass I would imagine that he is testing the conditions. I always take my practice swings outside the hazard anyway.

• seve_ likes this
No VTPP11

#15 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1691 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 04:24 PM

How do you define"Testing the conditions? to see a player taking a practice swing in a hazard swinging the club through the grass I would imagine that he is testing the conditions. I always take my practice swings outside the hazard anyway.

http://www.usga.org/...on-13,d13-4-0.5

SEE THIS 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users