#1 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40272 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 28 May 2017 - 11:11 PM

Watching the PGA Tour and often I see balls land on a green or fringe after just carrying the water, then spinning back into the water, and then the pro has to drop on the far side of the water and carry it again.

You see it regularly at Augusta

Is this the normal rule for hazards near a green or is there some rule that applies to these competitions that is different? My understanding was that you dropped near where the ball entered the hazard so if that's on the green side that's fine just go around in an arc until you have a stance.

• Madambo likes this

Handicap

Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016

Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands

Goal: A round at par or better!

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Clubman of the Year

Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island

Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands

South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer

http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#2 rogolf

rogolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 11:34 PM

In the Rules, there are two classes of water hazard - water hazards and a lateral water hazards.  Water hazards are marked with yellow stakes or yellow lines.  Lateral water hazards are marked with red stakes or red lines.  It is up to the Committee in charge of the course to decide whether it will be marked as a water hazard or a lateral water hazard. (For further clarification, read the definitions in the Rule book).

Rule 26-1 covers water hazards and lateral water hazards:

Rule 26 - Water Hazards (Including Lateral Water Hazards) and is shown below.  For a water hazard (yellow markings) only options a. and b. are available.  For a lateral water hazard (red markings), options a., b. and c. are available.
Note that in option c., the ball must be dropped within two club lengths of the point where the ball last crossed the margin of the lateral water hazard and not nearer the hole.  This does not guarantee a stance.
Rule 26-1. Relief for Ball in Water Hazard

It is a question of fact whether a ball that has not been found after having been struck toward a water hazard is in the hazard. In the absence of knowledge or virtual certainty that a ball struck toward a water hazard, but not found, is in the hazard, the player must proceed under Rule 27-1.

If a ball is found in a water hazard or if it is known or virtually certain that a ball that has not been found is in the water hazard (whether the ball lies in water or not), the player may under penalty of one stroke:

a.  Proceed under the stroke and distance provision of Rule 27-1 by playing a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played (see Rule 20-5); or

b.  Drop a ball behind the water hazard, keeping the point at which the original ball last crossed the margin of the water hazard directly between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped, with no limit to how far behind the water hazard the ball may be dropped; or

c.  As additional options available only if the ball last crossed the margin of a lateral water hazard, drop a ball outside the water hazard within two club-lengths of and not nearer the hole than (i) the point where the original ball last crossed the margin of the water hazard or (ii) a point on the opposite margin of the water hazard equidistant from the hole.

When proceeding under this Rule, the player may lift and clean his ball or substitute a ball.

#3 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2943 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 01:09 AM

Generally a stretch of water crossing the normal line of play is marked yellow as a Water Hazard (WH).

A stretch of water running parallel to the normal line of play is marked red as a Lateral Water Hazard (LWH).

The reference point to be used when taking relief from either is the point at which the ball last crossed the margin of the hazard. In this case it fell backwards and therefore the reference point is on the far side from the tee.

In addition to the option of playing again from the original spot (ie Stroke & Distance). There are other options.

i) Whether it is a WH or LWH the player make drop a ball on a line from the hole, through the reference point as far away as he wishes. This is often referred to as the 'flagline'.

HOWEVER the ball must not be dropped nearer the hole than the reference point. In this case that would not be possible. The player must play from behind the hazard. ie his stroke must be played over the water.

ii) The third option only applies to LWHs.  Because it is usually impracticable or impossible to play over a LWH, the player may drop a ball within 2 cl of the reference point (not nearer the hole) or even drop on the other side of the stretch of water an equal distance from the hole. This is helpful if the ball crossed the LWH and bounced back in.

• Madambo likes this

#4 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • 40272 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 07:08 AM

Thanks gents

Handicap

#5 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22690 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 29 May 2017 - 12:40 PM

Weeti, I'm surprised that a person of your vast golfing experience didn't know all that.

#6 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • 40272 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 01:21 PM

I Hadn't thought of the behind aspect

Most courses I play use Red more than Yellow stakes so it doesn't come up so much

Handicap

#7 AAA

AAA