10 replies to this topic

#1 TheGasman

TheGasman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:05 PM

A mate of mine and I are looking to get some golf lessons and get out to the driving range through the winter with a view to improving our base game when the weather is not encouraging us to go out on course.

I've had lessons from a few different instructors over the years and generally found them to not be particularly good communicators and just wanting to go through their routine and not really educate me why they've taken the approach they have.

I haven't had a lesson for something like 15 years and haven't played much golf over that time so I kind of need to start again, and my mate is relatively inexperienced.  I imagine golf teaching may have evolved a little?

So I'm looking for recommendations for a quality golf coach who is current and a good communicator, price isn't a concern.  I live in West Melbourne and my mate lives in Hawthorn so the east side of Melbourne is preferred.

Thanks for you help!

• Madambo likes this

#2 Goldy

Goldy

Got any Greek in you?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36236 posts
  • LocationWant some?

Posted 22 May 2017 - 04:55 PM

Getting ready for an onslaught from the disciples.

Any minute now.
  • GhettoGolfer, RobNewy, koiom K Frenzy and 3 others like this

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015 | Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid / Srixon AD333 ball | Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole Kooindah Waters 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.
Goldlink

#3 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4737 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 22 May 2017 - 05:43 PM

A mate of mine and I are looking to get some golf lessons and get out to the driving range through the winter with a view to improving our base game when the weather is not encouraging us to go out on course.

I've had lessons from a few different instructors over the years and generally found them to not be particularly good communicators and just wanting to go through their routine and not really educate me why they've taken the approach they have.

I haven't had a lesson for something like 15 years and haven't played much golf over that time so I kind of need to start again, and my mate is relatively inexperienced. I imagine golf teaching may have evolved a little?

So I'm looking for recommendations for a quality golf coach who is current and a good communicator, price isn't a concern. I live in West Melbourne and my mate lives in Hawthorn so the east side of Melbourne is preferred.

Thanks for you help!

Matt cleverdon at Kingston heath is, by all reports, the best going around for both choppers and guns alike.

Plenty here see Garth Cusack at sandhurst.

#4 Tigerblood

Tigerblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3061 posts
  • LocationRingwood East

Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:09 PM

Yep I'm a student of Matt Cleverdon, Vic PGA Coach of the year and finalist on the Aus coach of the year.

Added advantage of being able to utilise Kingston Heath practice facilities before/after your lesson

Hole In One Eastwood 17th 153 mtrs,  27/12/12

#5 TheGasman

TheGasman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 01:31 PM

Thanks guys, we're seeing Matt on Tuesday. :)

• Madambo and Tigerblood like this

#6 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9010 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 23 May 2017 - 04:18 PM

Looks like the disciples were a little slow on plugging super coach!!!  

Garth Cusack is also based out of Sandhurst GC and looks after quite a number of the Victorian ISG community. 

Post back on your thoughts on how the lesson went Gasman. 

BTW - we are playing our next Order of Merit at the Sands in Torquay in a couple of Sundays. More than welcome to join us for a hit.  

http://forums.iseekg...oom3-the-sands/

6th March 2016 - Beat the ISG Matchplay Champion!

Posted Image

#7 Tigerblood

Tigerblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3061 posts
  • LocationRingwood East

Posted 01 June 2017 - 08:01 PM

Thanks guys, we're seeing Matt on Tuesday. :)

How did you go with Matt, Gasman?

Hole In One Eastwood 17th 153 mtrs,  27/12/12

#8 MiltonPunt

MiltonPunt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 10:41 AM

I've seen about 6 different guys and have concluded I'm un-coachable. One thing I will say about Garth is that I invariably left the lesson hitting the ball better than when I arrived. A lot of other guys turn you inside out and you end up at the range all week trying to master what they've shown you.

• RobNewy likes this

#9 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4737 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 05 June 2017 - 11:10 AM

I've seen about 6 different guys and have concluded I'm un-coachable. One thing I will say about Garth is that I invariably left the lesson hitting the ball better than when I arrived. A lot of other guys turn you inside out and you end up at the range all week trying to master what they've shown you.

Over what sort of time period? Did you give any of them more than one lesson?

#10 MiltonPunt

MiltonPunt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 10:17 AM

Over what sort of time period? Did you give any of them more than one lesson?

Probably 7 or 8 years, all at least twice. A few I bought a block of 5 lessons. I found I'd come in a few shots, blow out. Go back and see them and repeat the cycle. They can't all be hopeless so I concluded I was the problem!

I had two with my club pro last year and he was pretty good. When I have the budget I might give him a 12 month run at it. 

• Madambo and Itchy4Scratch like this

#11 Jason's Day

Jason's Day

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 12:45 PM

Go to Albert Park, plenty of good options there. Stewie Leong is good as is Ben Hood.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users