#1 PapaBravo

PapaBravo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Victoria

Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:11 AM

https://www.australi...-us425-million/

A day after Rory McIlroy signed a long-term deal with the company, TaylorMade is back in the news. In a press release, Adidas AG announced overnight that KPS Capital Partners has purchased the TaylorMade brand for $US425 million.

The New York-based private equity firm manages $US5.7 billion in assets. It also has an office in Frankfurt in Germany. Adidas AG is based in Herzogenaurach, about two hours from Frankfurt. Some of its current investments include International Equipment Solutions and Chassis Brakes International Group. Its website does not list any sporting-goods companies, but a Reuters report in December listed KPS Capital as one of the potential suitors in the bidding for the Performance Sports Group, the maker of Bauer hockey gear, which was up for auction after declaring bankruptcy.

The purchase includes the Adams Golf and Ashworth Golf brands, and will go to a newly formed affiliate of KPS Capital Partners.

“TaylorMade is a leading global golf brand with an exceptionally strong market position. We would like to thank all TaylorMade employees for their many contributions to our company and wish them all the best for a successful future under their new ownership. At the same time, we welcome all Adidas Golf employees who will be integrated into our Adidas Heartbeat Sports Business Unit,” said Kasper Rorsted, chief executive of Adidas AG, in a release. “Within our long-term strategy ‘Creating the New’, our focus is clearly on our core competencies in footwear and apparel and on our two major brands Adidas and Reebok.”

The deal is expected to close later this year. According to reports, half of the $425 million price will be paid in cash and “the remainder in a combination of secured note and contingent considerations”.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting strategy. Basically buy the best on tour, then sell the company.

• RobNewy likes this

#2 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18531 posts
  • LocationReclinng in The Bahamas ... in my mind.

Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:22 AM

pfft .. old news :)

• PapaBravo likes this
http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner
2016 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner (Pending successful legal action)

EVENT WINS
2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team
2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)
2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)
2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)
2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.
"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2016.

#3 PapaBravo

PapaBravo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:31 AM

pfft .. old news :)

You got me by a minute :D I'm no morning person!

Deserves its own thread.

• Bumpy.M likes this

#4 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18531 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:38 AM

You got me by a minute :D I'm no morning person!

Deserves its own thread.

Indeed it does I reckon ........ interesting times for TM coming up.

• PapaBravo likes this

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

2016 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner (Pending successful legal action)

EVENT WINS
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog.

#5 PapaBravo

PapaBravo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:44 AM

Indeed it does I reckon ........ interesting times for TM coming up.

Interesting for the entire industry.

From what I've read, KPS has a history of turning dying manufacturing businesses into profit powerhouses.

If they pull it off, they could put TM so far up in the market share battle that everyone else drops to 2nd tier.

If they don't pull it off, anything could happen!

#6 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18531 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 10:12 AM

So what is TM's focus going to be on going forward I wonder.

While they are best known for their drivers, and in recent time putters (spider) ....... their irons and wedges haven't been anywhere near as well received or indeed marketed.

I'm sure the new owners will want to see the lagging sectors of their range brought up to the same level as their better known products, so we may get a new line of irons being put out every 3 months from now on. :o

EVENT WINS

#7 Bumpy.M

Bumpy.M

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10966 posts
  • LocationThirteen point twenty-four warning points

Posted 11 May 2017 - 10:21 AM

So what is TM's focus going to be on going forward I wonder.

While they are best known for their drivers, and in recent time putters (spider) 

the Itsy-Bitsy Limited Edition Jason Day one at that that, it goes good

• Li Ning likes this
"But sometimes there are more important things in life than being pedantic about the rules of golf, or spelling and grammar on golf forums"

#8 Chunky McChunkerson

Chunky McChunkerson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2518 posts
  • LocationVic (Metro North)

Posted 11 May 2017 - 10:32 AM

I reckon you will see a change in the way they are released to stores. In the past, as I have read on a few different places, TM used to make stores order a min amount before they would be delivered to the store (which was not a low number).

Stores would be end up with a lot of over run\inventory in the store that would then need to be slashed in price when they released their next model. (Callaway did made to orders and small inventory stock in stores in contrast to TM. They have slowed down somewhat.)

From there I don't know where they go next. As a lot of people\companies have said a lot of the tech is now maxxed out and is more about the look and feel as opposed to the advancements in distance and tech (jailbreak aside).

Maybe as GPJ said the Irons and wedges need to come up and this maybe the ones to do it, concentrate more on these and refine them and leave the woods alone other than cosmetic changes.

Cap: 16.2 Gamegolf

WITB:

Primary: Big Bertha 1.5 Mini 12* on Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 60 Stiff Shaft | Great Big Bertha 3W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Great Big Bertha 5W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Cally X Forged 13's on Project X PXi 6.0 Steel shafts 3-PW | X Series Jaw Slate 54* C Grind | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 60* | Odyssey Metal X Milled #1 |

Holiday: Big Bertha 1.5 Mini 12* on Project X LX 6.0 | Mizuno MP 54 4-PW on True Temper XP105 Stiff Shafts | X Series Jaw Slate 58* C Grind | Mack Daddy 2 56* | Odyssey Metal-X #1 (2013)

Spares: X2 Hot Pro 8.5 on Aldila Tour Green Shaft | Wilson Staff FG Tours on Project X 5.5 3 - PW | X Series Jaw Slate 58* C Grind | X Series Jaw Slate 50* C Grind | Mack Daddy 2 Slate 52* S Grind |

Goals: Get back to GA 15.9

#9 PapaBravo

PapaBravo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 11:03 AM

The m2 iron range was (i believe) the number 1 selling iron in recent years. The issues with the industry around irons is most players just don't bother "upgrading" that part of the bag anywhere near as often as drivers and putters. They also seem especially difficult to market, when top level players aren't using irons that even remotely resemble the ones on the shelf.

The only way to sell more irons is to get the flow on effect of the average golfers mentality: "I've got a TM driver and putter, I may as well get TM irons too" which is what I believe TM do better than any other company in the industry right now. Cally does it as well, Titty too, but their brand drive mostly stems from balls. Ping, Mizuno, Cobra etc are all lagging far behind this concept, and these recent events may see them fall further behind again.

Edited by PapaBravo, 11 May 2017 - 11:04 AM.

#10 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38092 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 11 May 2017 - 11:56 AM

I think GP that the irons aren't as attractive at the upper end but their GI clubs have generally done well

The Burner ranges were huge sellers. Then I reckon Callaway smashed them with the RAZR lines of irons. As stated above I think the M2 has been the biggest seller.

SGI and GI irons don't get much visibility because the pros don't play them I suppose. But not many Weekend golfers play the irons the pros do.

Iron Mick excepted
  • GhettoGolfer, Goldy, koiom K Frenzy and 1 other like this

Handicap

Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016

Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands

Goal: A round at par or better!

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Clubman of the Year

Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island

Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands

South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer

http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#11 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • 38092 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 11:57 AM

And Placegetter too come to think of it

Handicap

#12 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18531 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 12:21 PM

I always figured Barnesy would be a "blades" kind of guy too. :)

• Weetbix, Francie and Lukos87 like this

EVENT WINS

#13 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18531 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 12:27 PM

I think GP that the irons aren't as attractive at the upper end but their GI clubs have generally done well

The Burner ranges were huge sellers. Then I reckon Callaway smashed them with the RAZR lines of irons. As stated above I think the M2 has been the biggest seller.

SGI and GI irons don't get much visibility because the pros don't play them I suppose. But not many Weekend golfers play the irons the pros do.

Iron Mick excepted

Yeah you're right, the burners did sell in their boatloads Weeti. Perhaps they just need to tweak them to make them look nicer, god knows all their irons could do with it.

I guess if you aim for GI clubs though, you are pretty restricted in terms of making them look good vs having that added level of foregiveness engineered into them . so they are thick all around the edges, with a decent sized cavity etc. Perhaps they could paint em white ... that works a treat with their drivers.

At least with blades there is no real excuse for not making them look great, as they start with a nice sleek shape and design, and then they go and fark some of them.

Just my thoughts however ..... :)

EVENT WINS

#14 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3969 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 11 May 2017 - 12:50 PM

I really like tm's players irons. The rsi & psi tps, and now the 750/770s are as attractive to me as any similar type irons on the market.

I nearly pulled the trigger on the rsi tps last year when I got my 716mbs.
  • RobNewy likes this

#15 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • 38092 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 01:08 PM

I likes the RSI TP and the 1 (I think)

Always liked the look of their CB and MC offerings - just never been game

I'm less of a traditionalist I suppose

Saying that the golf shield backed Wilson Staff blades are still my favourite looking clubs of all time

Handicap

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users