Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:46 AM

Golf Australia is more accurate.
Why?
Look at the list. It's more accurate.

I like this answer. Macc has probably played the vast majority of the courses and by whatever criteria they and he judge courses, the GA fits better for him.

It gets more difficult when you are travelling but domestically, I would look for a polarising course and its position to determine which list might suit me.

Something like The Australian which is a great day out, magnificently conditioned and do a great lunch in a fantastic clubhouse. If those things float your boat, a list where it's ranked in the top 5-10 is probably your go. If you value other factors a list which may rate it high teens is more to your liking.

The search for a perfect ranking system will never be found, ISG had a poll many years to determine "best" courses, it had some validity, provoked some discussion but for me it didn't work because the raters hadn't played many of the courses I value. Macc will get a laugh but I think Kingston Heath didn't get a run in the top 10.

Like ISG there are plenty of forums around the world to ask golf questions. Not that hard if you are going to Scotland to determine that you might play TOC, Troon, Carnoustie etc, but how do you find the "best of the rest".

Edited by PerryGroves, 20 April 2017 - 08:47 AM.

• AGQ likes this

#17 Madambo

Madambo

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 11347 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:05 AM

have they got you back at Piney?

yup. Ranking dropped off the bottom since ah Ben left they wondering what to do

#18 AGQ

AGQ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:45 AM

Some CUT & PASTE happening AGQ, about the same as some revues of the panelists from both editions :)

Jon... 

Hi Jon

I wouldn't say cut and paste, but there is potential for some influencing in my thoughts. In the end there is only so many ways something can be said. The magazines and posts on forums certainly put forward valid points one way or the other.

In the end they are all flawed for various reasons. Would love to hear your views on the subject.

Fulfilling my dream to play Australia's Top 100

AGD 2016 - 95 played

AGD 2014 - 97 played

GA - 2016 - 85 played

GA - 2014 - 90 played

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users