Photo

Camper Trailers

• Please log in to reply
167 replies to this topic

#16 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19074 posts
  • LocationWithin reaching distance of a golf club.

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:22 AM

Sammi,

The first thing you need to do before you go out and buy something, is to work out exactly what you want to do in terms of camping / glamping, and what creature comforts are a must, or just a nice to have.

Things to consider, do you want to stay only in caravan parks, or do you think you might want to go "off the grid" in it for a few days at a time?

This will determine things like how much you need to take with you, as well as what you'll need to take.

Another thing to consider, is how often you will go away.

If its only rarely, then consider hiring something, or if it's to be more frequent, then work out what you can or can't afford.

Also, having something you use rarely while it takes up space at home for the most part, can get annoying. 

We've had a pop top in the past, and for our last trip around southern WA we just hired a motorhome for the couple of weeks.

Both have pro's and cons, so it's really working out what you want it for first and then deciding what suits best.

Also how long do you want to spend setting something up and pulling it down each time you stop? That could get boring if you are constantly on the move, or if you plan to stay in one location for a few days at a time, it might never be an issue.

Lots of things to consider and even the destinations you want to go to, may play a part in what you should look for.

Just my thoughts .......

Edited by GPJ_Longdriver, 19 April 2017 - 10:23 AM.

• GhettoGolfer likes this

http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner
2016 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner (Pending successful legal action)

EVENT WINS
2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team
2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)
2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)
2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)
2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.
"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2017.

#17 The good Egg

The good Egg

oh!! that lady swallowed a baby!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7990 posts
  • LocationNewcastle

Posted 19 April 2017 - 01:59 PM

Yeah have been camping many times before, this was before the kids came along. Since then have preferred to the comfort of 4 walls etc, however now we are wanting to get out again and have some fun weekends away under canvas!

Have a Murano and rated at 1.5T braked, so will need to get a brake controller installed, and a camper trailer would max out at 1.2T for us anyways. Not too many extra toys to lug around.

Tbat leaves you 300kg so would that include frodge and accesories as well?

#18 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9016 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 19 April 2017 - 02:51 PM

Tbat leaves you 300kg so would that include frodge and accesories as well?

the camper trailers I have been looking at is about $900-950 kgs. Have allowed a further 200-250 kgs things that I would pack onto the trailer like a fridge, water tanks will be empty but filled at or near the destination, some tables and chairs, gas bottles etc. I dont have many outdoor toys so max would be 4 bikes. Rest of our clothes etc will get thrown into the back of the Murano. 

6th March 2016 - Beat the ISG Matchplay Champion!

Posted Image

#19 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9016 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 19 April 2017 - 03:03 PM

Thanks Gaz - insightful as always. 

Sammi,

The first thing you need to do before you go out and buy something, is to work out exactly what you want to do in terms of camping / glamping, and what creature comforts are a must, or just a nice to have.

Things to consider, do you want to stay only in caravan parks, or do you think you might want to go "off the grid" in it for a few days at a time?

Will mostly head to powered sites, and want to allow for flexibility for off-the-grid camping as the appetite broadens. 

Another thing to consider, is how often you will go away.

If its only rarely, then consider hiring something, or if it's to be more frequent, then work out what you can or can't afford.

Also, having something you use rarely while it takes up space at home for the most part, can get annoying. 

The aim is to get away whenever we can over long weekends, school holidays etc. Storage will be at mother in law's place under shelter, and in our garage - whatever takes our fancy given that we head over to her house quite regularly. Have done the maths over what we have spent over the last few years and we have spent in excess of $2500 pa in accommodation. If we manage to get away for 15 nights each year as a minimum, I would be happy with an ownership model. 

Also how long do you want to spend setting something up and pulling it down each time you stop? That could get boring if you are constantly on the move, or if you plan to stay in one location for a few days at a time, it might never be an issue.

Lots of things to consider and even the destinations you want to go to, may play a part in what you should look for.

Just my thoughts .......

We mostly will be stopping at singular locations for the each journey so length of time will not be an issue when it comes to setting up and taking down. I mean when I use to do track days on the motorbike, I would spend hours prepping the bike beforehand and driving up at 5 am in the morning, and then when I get back, would unpack and do a quick lube change, and give the bike a once-over in readiness for street riding again.  

Posted Image

#20 hack2489

hack2489

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:03 PM

As a family of campers (i.e. tent n tarps), and now users of a "no trailer camper trailer" known as a "Storm Warrior" (i.e. a camper trailer tent on a box with wheels that fits into the back of our 4wd ute), a few suggestions:

1. Check the 'camper trailer' tent as some take AGES to set up, and pack up. Do NOT rely on video's. Insist on an 'in person' watch for yourself put up and pull down, and as you do this:

• check all the 'attachments' and how much time they add, and
  • see if it is a one person or two person task (especially the attachments), and
  • watch closely the 'pack up' process.

2. Check how much has to be unpacked from the top of the camper trailer tent before it is put up. Often the extra rooms are added 'after' the main camper trailer tent is unfolded, so too the walls and extra floor etc. It's a PITA to have to unload those and THEN put up the main camper tent, so often the sales places, or people selling privately, will put all that stuff in the trailer, which then restricts your storage space for a kitchen, and other stuff.

3. Check, and TEST, can you move the trailer around by hand while it is fully loaded? Often, many camp sites in caravan parks and camp grounds will face the wrong direction for the forecast prevailing winds. Last thing you need is to be stuck with the main opening exposed to the forecast howling winds and rain. An upgraded 'jockey wheel' is often all it takes, but check the fitting and space for the bigger size bracket and 'handles'. Look at the ones boat owners use ;)

4. If buying second hand, check ALL zippers and attachments. If buying new, check warranty period. Everyone gets focussed on the canvas and its 'rip tear' weighting only to find the zippers stuff up after two trips away.

5. Never store it wet, for any more than a few days. Get it up, even if it's still raining! Closed up campers sweat and mold is a PITA to get rid of ... better to have it up, in your driveway for a week while it rains, than spend a month killing mold. 

6. Watch both the 'towing weight' and 'towball' downward weight. A loaded trailer on the back of many cars will outweigh the suspension, so it dies sooner, and is VERY costly to replace for many 'sedan like' SUV's.

7. SERIOUSLY do you numbers. Cost of camper and all the gear, plus extra fuel consumption etc, and camp sites fees, vs say staying in cabins, 'glamping tents' or even renting a house etc. where you want to go. Be realistic about how often you 'get away' camping. The novelty of packing, loading, and dealing with it all on the return can wear thin VERY quickly.

Otherwise. Good Luck and have fun!

Edited by hack2489, 19 April 2017 - 08:18 PM.

• GhettoGolfer, Commish, Short Putt Man and 1 other like this

#21 mugcanic

mugcanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3618 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:12 PM

the camper trailers I have been looking at is about $900-950 kgs. Have allowed a further 200-250 kgs things that I would pack onto the trailer like a fridge, water tanks will be empty but filled at or near the destination, some tables and chairs, gas bottles etc. I dont have many outdoor toys so max would be 4 bikes. Rest of our clothes etc will get thrown into the back of the Murano. 

GG..take it from someone who knows.

I've been camping in a camper trailer for 10 years, done 3 big trips (12,000 kms, 22,000 kms and 30,000 kms ) and many short trips.

It's an amazing way to get out and about BUT.....before you buy check out the difference between a "soft" floor camper and a "hard" floor camper....and then buy the hard floor.

My C/T is hard floor and me and the missus can have it up in under 30 seconds. I kid you not. 

Soft floor campers can take up to half an hour.

A good hard floor camper will retain value if looked after.

Mine has 12v system, 130 litre water tank and stainless steel kitchen and stove and has true off road capabilities.

• GhettoGolfer and hack2489 like this

#22 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9016 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:58 AM

GG..take it from someone who knows.

I've been camping in a camper trailer for 10 years, done 3 big trips (12,000 kms, 22,000 kms and 30,000 kms ) and many short trips.

It's an amazing way to get out and about BUT.....before you buy check out the difference between a "soft" floor camper and a "hard" floor camper....and then buy the hard floor.

My C/T is hard floor and me and the missus can have it up in under 30 seconds. I kid you not. 

Soft floor campers can take up to half an hour.

A good hard floor camper will retain value if looked after.

Mine has 12v system, 130 litre water tank and stainless steel kitchen and stove and has true off road capabilities.

With or without kids when you did your travels Mug?

Serious mileage though. 

Just out of curiosity, how much did you outlay? 

I am aiming for a budget of $15-20k 

I need it to sleep 4 as a minimum as I have 2 boys and most of the hard floor ones don't have a great expansion option.  This was my initial go-to option, and the more I research, the more I find appealing! 

Posted Image

#23 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19074 posts
  • LocationWithin reaching distance of a golf club.

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:01 AM

https://coresites-cd.../11/Meme-7.jpeg

http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner
2016 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner (Pending successful legal action)

EVENT WINS
2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team
2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)
2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)
2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)
2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.
"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2017.

#24 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9016 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:04 AM

As a family of campers (i.e. tent n tarps), and now users of a "no trailer camper trailer" known as a "Storm Warrior" (i.e. a camper trailer tent on a box with wheels that fits into the back of our 4wd ute), a few suggestions:

1. Check the 'camper trailer' tent as some take AGES to set up, and pack up. Do NOT rely on video's. Insist on an 'in person' watch for yourself put up and pull down, and as you do this:

• check all the 'attachments' and how much time they add, and
  • see if it is a one person or two person task (especially the attachments), and
  • watch closely the 'pack up' process.

2. Check how much has to be unpacked from the top of the camper trailer tent before it is put up. Often the extra rooms are added 'after' the main camper trailer tent is unfolded, so too the walls and extra floor etc. It's a PITA to have to unload those and THEN put up the main camper tent, so often the sales places, or people selling privately, will put all that stuff in the trailer, which then restricts your storage space for a kitchen, and other stuff.

3. Check, and TEST, can you move the trailer around by hand while it is fully loaded? Often, many camp sites in caravan parks and camp grounds will face the wrong direction for the forecast prevailing winds. Last thing you need is to be stuck with the main opening exposed to the forecast howling winds and rain. An upgraded 'jockey wheel' is often all it takes, but check the fitting and space for the bigger size bracket and 'handles'. Look at the ones boat owners use ;)

4. If buying second hand, check ALL zippers and attachments. If buying new, check warranty period. Everyone gets focussed on the canvas and its 'rip tear' weighting only to find the zippers stuff up after two trips away.

5. Never store it wet, for any more than a few days. Get it up, even if it's still raining! Closed up campers sweat and mold is a PITA to get rid of ... better to have it up, in your driveway for a week while it rains, than spend a month killing mold. 

6. Watch both the 'towing weight' and 'towball' downward weight. A loaded trailer on the back of many cars will outweigh the suspension, so it dies sooner, and is VERY costly to replace for many 'sedan like' SUV's.

7. SERIOUSLY do you numbers. Cost of camper and all the gear, plus extra fuel consumption etc, and camp sites fees, vs say staying in cabins, 'glamping tents' or even renting a house etc. where you want to go. Be realistic about how often you 'get away' camping. The novelty of packing, loading, and dealing with it all on the return can wear thin VERY quickly.

Otherwise. Good Luck and have fun!

Thanks Hack - this is exactly the sort of info/insight I was after when starting this thread.  

Whilst I was initially open to a soft floor, the harder I think about it, the more I feel like I will be pretty shitty in dealing with the extra work involved in managing one, in terms of set up, packing up and dealing with it in wet weather, and ongoing maintenance. 

Cost factor was another reason - simply because I am a tight-arse (aren't we all?) and whilst I started this search with a $10k cap, it really looks like hitting $15-20k with the features and components that I want.  Don't need a rolling Taj Mahal, but definitely want something better than a lean-to.  

• hack2489 likes this

Posted Image

#25 hack2489

hack2489

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:20 AM

... whilst I started this search with a $10k cap, it really looks like hitting $15-20k with the features and components that I want.  Don't need a rolling Taj Mahal, but definitely want something better than a lean-to.  

For that money, expand your thinking and look beyond a 'camper trailer' and look at 'pop top' caravans.

Like this for example: https://www.gumtree....tion/1145044369

Or this: https://www.gumtree....dove/1136059574

Or this: https://www.gumtree....avan/1131222232

By the sounds of your intended use, any of these type will work fine, and tow easy behind your Murano.

Hunt around and you can find some good buys in your budget range.

Good Luck.

Edited by hack2489, 20 April 2017 - 09:24 AM.

#26 RobNewy

RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10663 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:42 AM

Yeah for that budget, have a good look at Avan

Edited by RobNewy, 20 April 2017 - 09:42 AM.

#27 mugcanic

mugcanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3618 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:43 AM

With or without kids when you did your travels Mug?

Serious mileage though. 

Just out of curiosity, how much did you outlay? 

I am aiming for a budget of $15-20k 

I need it to sleep 4 as a minimum as I have 2 boys and most of the hard floor ones don't have a great expansion option.  This was my initial go-to option, and the more I research, the more I find appealing! 

We were pretty lucky, right place right time. Wandered into a camper trailer dealer in Balcatta (Perth) and they had a 3 year old Kimberley Kamper (google these) which had been used once by an elderly couple. $19,500 for a C/T which , with the options , retailed for nearly $50,000. KK's are at the top end and bloody expensive to buy new. There's plenty of companies in Oz who are importing C/T's from China and beefing up electrics, plumbing  etc and making some pretty good units.

My travels have only been me and the missus, however I have done a few golfing weekends with a mate sleeping on the floor, which is big enough for a couple of kids.

My C/T has a full size annex, so over 6m x 2.4m of covered space on the side. Obviously this takes a bit longer to set up.

In my opinion, set up time is something that can be a drag after a while, particularly if you're doing a long trip with only 1 or 2 night stops . This is why I like mine so much, we can literally be in bed in less than a minute.

I've seen families with 2 kids having a ball setting up their soft floor C/T so maybe , for yourself , this could be the way to go.

Don't rush into it....go and check out as many models as you can and get them to go thru' the set up (AND pull down),  Some have serious design flaws.

I might add, once you've hit the road and camped for 5 or 6 nights, you'll eventually discover you've developed a "system" and streamline the set up and pull down. 

There's an excellent forum called myswag.org....everything about camper trailers. Join up and read, read, read. Fascinating stuff and many very helpful people in there.

#28 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9016 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:46 AM

For that money, expand your thinking and look beyond a 'camper trailer' and look at 'pop top' caravans.

Like this for example: https://www.gumtree....tion/1145044369

Or this: https://www.gumtree....dove/1136059574

Or this: https://www.gumtree....avan/1131222232

By the sounds of your intended use, any of these type will work fine, and tow easy behind your Murano.

Hunt around and you can find some good buys in your budget range.

Good Luck.

Thanks Hack! LOL its funny because the search and discussions last night had expanded to this, and a particular area of concern for the wife was water seepage when it rains. 

The Jayco series pop-tops look pretty good and within our price range, and suits a lazy arse like me. 

Posted Image

#29 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9016 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:49 AM

We were pretty lucky, right place right time. Wandered into a camper trailer dealer in Balcatta (Perth) and they had a 3 year old Kimberley Kamper (google these) which had been used once by an elderly couple. $19,500 for a C/T which , with the options , retailed for nearly $50,000. KK's are at the top end and bloody expensive to buy new. There's plenty of companies in Oz who are importing C/T's from China and beefing up electrics, plumbing  etc and making some pretty good units.

My travels have only been me and the missus, however I have done a few golfing weekends with a mate sleeping on the floor, which is big enough for a couple of kids.

My C/T has a full size annex, so over 6m x 2.4m of covered space on the side. Obviously this takes a bit longer to set up.

In my opinion, set up time is something that can be a drag after a while, particularly if you're doing a long trip with only 1 or 2 night stops . This is why I like mine so much, we can literally be in bed in less than a minute.

I've seen families with 2 kids having a ball setting up their soft floor C/T so maybe , for yourself , this could be the way to go.

Don't rush into it....go and check out as many models as you can and get them to go thru' the set up (AND pull down),  Some have serious design flaws.

I might add, once you've hit the road and camped for 5 or 6 nights, you'll eventually discover you've developed a "system" and streamline the set up and pull down. 

There's an excellent forum called myswag.org....everything about camper trailers. Join up and read, read, read. Fascinating stuff and many very helpful people in there.

Thanks Mug - was romanticising over the family set up thing for the soft floors, and as you and a number of guys have pointed out, the shine wears off pretty quickly and can imagine the pain of setting up camp quickly whilst its pouring! 

Posted Image

#30 hack2489

hack2489

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:59 AM

Thanks Hack! LOL its funny because the search and discussions last night had expanded to this, and a particular area of concern for the wife was water seepage when it rains.

The Jayco series pop-tops look pretty good and within our price range, and suits a lazy arse like me.

Value for money, IMHO.

If we didn't tow a boat, we'd have a jayco pop top tomorrow!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users