languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1691 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 08:47 PM

Current at my Club.
Match Play
A successfully claims Hole from opponent for hitting off from outside the teeing ground.

Later when B hits tee shot OOB claims hole.

A Wins match 2 Up.

When asked about these Rules later says all is good with her knowledge of Rules. B is a novice and just wonders.

When told by Captain that both claims were wrong says well on Ball hit OOB the Rule must have changed.

I checked ..in late 1700's it was loss of hole.

Few variations then penalty consistently same as stroke since 1820.

Is reincarnation possible.

What I know is a lot of people give in to bullshit if said confidently with authority.
  • Monty85 likes this

#2 Tochakka

Tochakka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2624 posts
  • LocationIn the pines in the pines where the sun don't shine

Posted 15 April 2017 - 09:37 PM

Sometimes bullshit baffles brains and when challenged they get in a huff and claim they were mistaken. It does make it hard for a novice to challenge a ruling if they are unsure and feeling pressure in a match play situation.

#3 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2213 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 12:19 PM

Current at my Club.
Match Play
A successfully claims Hole from opponent for hitting off from outside the teeing ground.

Later when B hits tee shot OOB claims hole.

A Wins match 2 Up.

When asked about these Rules later says all is good with her knowledge of Rules. B is a novice and just wonders.

When told by Captain that both claims were wrong says well on Ball hit OOB the Rule must have changed.

I checked ..in late 1700's it was loss of hole.

Few variations then penalty consistently same as stroke since 1820.

What I know is a lot of people give in to bullshit if said confidently with authority.

So how old did you say the two players are, 200 or 300 hundreds years old ?

Jon...

• languid, tigertuff and seve_ like this

#4 ColinCL

ColinCL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 17 April 2017 - 12:09 AM

So how old did you say the two players are, 200 or 300 hundreds years old ?

Jon...

It's the oral tradition - handed down by word of mouth from generation unto generation.

• pom likes this

#5 Monty85

Monty85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1447 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Posted 30 May 2017 - 02:23 PM

Yep i see it all the time as well.

I've mentioned these before but these two always spring to mind.

Few years ago an old feller tells me (after i marked his ball on the green for him) that if i didn't replace the ball for him it would be a 2 stroke penalty to him.

And another was a player was disqualified for not declaring to his partners that he was taking a drop for casual water and that he did no have an observer for the drop.

| GolfLink 

#6 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1691 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 04:02 PM

Sometimes bullshit baffles brains and when challenged they get in a huff and claim they were mistaken. It does make it hard for a novice to challenge a ruling if they are unsure and feeling pressure in a match play situation.

The Rules Changes coming in 2019 are going to level the playing field for NEWBIES.
The current Rules Savvy are going to have to unlearn a lot of Rules as well as get to grips with the new Rules.
The NEW RULES will be much simpler.
There will be a lot of videos etcetera to help people learn. Most Newbies should have few problems if they have a go.
However the arrogant few who try bullshit will still be at it. Everybody be wary.
  • pom and Monty85 like this

#7 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11698 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 30 May 2017 - 04:14 PM

It can be a bit difficult for golfers at some clubs to deal with the rules when they see the committee making up  rules to suit themselves.

One instance I know of is a course where all the members are retirees. They have preferred lie through the green. all year round. Their fairways are better than ours & there is not too much wrong with ours.

This can only end up encouraging players to disregard any rule that they do not like.

• languid likes this
Member of the Vision Test Pilot Project.
No VTPP11

#8 Tochakka

Tochakka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2624 posts
  • LocationIn the pines in the pines where the sun don't shine

Posted 30 May 2017 - 07:46 PM

The Rules Changes coming in 2019 are going to level the playing field for NEWBIES.
The current Rules Savvy are going to have to unlearn a lot of Rules as well as get to grips with the new Rules.
The NEW RULES will be much simpler.
There will be a lot of videos etcetera to help people learn. Most Newbies should have few problems if they have a go.
However the arrogant few who try bullshit will still be at it. Everybody be wary.

I had a look through the changes and a newby should be able to make sense of the rules but like you said the arrogant few will use " bullshit baffles brains" approach to confuse the issue and I hope the changes as they are introduced are made easy to understand for the average golfer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users