#631 MaxxOn

MaxxOn

On Top

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20082 posts
  • LocationThe Burrow

Posted 11 April 2018 - 03:29 PM

He's cutting his genitals with a rusty hack saw as it was less painful than reading OB's post

He's a cat owner, wtf do you expect?
  • koiom K Frenzy likes this

#632 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Moss Effect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13324 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 11 April 2018 - 04:02 PM

Next year you plan to submit social rounds so you can say your GL is single figures?

18.4 by Dec. 2018

2018 Keysborough GC Gala Team Event Winner

2017 VIC ISG OOM Overall Winner

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Overall Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3023100698

"Team Frank" founding member

#633 hack2489

hack2489

WTF, I can change this now?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1455 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 11 April 2018 - 06:50 PM

Next year you plan to submit social rounds so you can say your GL is single figures?

Ah.

No.

That would just be silly.

Just saying comp won't be the only way.

My plans are for a genuine 9 handicap. I want to be able to break 80, and not just say I can, but actually do it regularly.

#634 hack2489

hack2489

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1455 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 11 April 2018 - 06:59 PM

All this talk of goal setting is interesting from my perspective.
My main goal is to stay alive somewhat longer so I can go out and enjoy some rounds of golf. Injuries, illnesses, accidents and physical failure are all to be avoided if possible, but we really have only minimal control over that.

As for golf, having a goal of a scratch handicap or even single figures is about as achievable as scoring a young, beautiful, rich wife. Basically zilch.

So my goals are more like 'can I score a par here?'. Knowing full well that crap happens, either because my swing failed or the golfing gods (they're quite crazy) take my ball to an undesirable place or hide it altogether. But sometimes those gods generously deflect my ball back to the fairway, let it roll out the other side of a bunker or even roll it close to the hole. Like life, it's very much a lottery. My job, as a golfer, is to take whatever happens and still try to get that little ball into the bloody hole. Playing stableford, if it all gets too much, just pick it up and start again on the next hole. The birdies are a bonus, par is great, bogeys are expected, but if worse happens, it doesn't really matter.

The important thing is to be able to get out there and play.

If a bloke can still surf regularly at 75, another I know at 72 who has had a hip replacement and a knee reconstruction in the last 3 years, and several others in their late 60s, golf at any of those ages must be a breeze.

Oldest dude I've seen in the surf was 85.

He inspired me to set a goal of being able to surf on my 80th birthday.

Which brings me to another milestone.

More to follow...

#635 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23910 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 11 April 2018 - 07:13 PM

Next year it's a whole new ball game.

A new year's ball?

#636 hack2489

hack2489

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1455 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 12 April 2018 - 08:23 AM

TL;DR - It's my anniversary post :o , yes, that's right, I've been posting dribble on here for 12 months :rolleyes: , and just to top it off, this is post number 1000 :huh: . So it's time to assess the progress and reset the goals. ;)

So, to refresh your memory, this is from my first post:

Handicap Goal for 2017: Official 18 or lower, perhaps chase a single digit ... not sure yet.
Strengths: Short game - saves my arse from the wayward drive and mishit approach shots
Weaknesses: It varies between wayward drive and mishit approach shots.

Best score for 9 holes: Shot 34 stableford points on the front 9 at Pelican... once.
Best score for 18 holes: Around 18 over par (several courses like Emerald Lakes, Tweed Cooly and Royal Chinderah)

A few things have changed too in the past 12 months...

Best score for 9 holes, is now even par which I shot on 5th January 2018 on the back 9 at Ocean Shores.

And, with that round ...

Best score for 18 holes, became the 11 over OTS for an 83 at Ocean Shores for the full round on the 5th January 2018.

I joined Ocean Shores in June 2017 and handed in my 3 cards to get an 'official handicap' (GA 16.0) which gives me a playing handicap of 18.

So, I've achieved the goals I set myself, and, made some scoring milestones over the past 12 months.

So, what's next?

As I've already posted, I am now looking at chasing a single figure handicap. Actually, to be precise, I want to achieve the goal of playing off a daily handicap of 9 (or less), and that means, at Ocean Shores off the whites (scratch rating is 72 with a slope of 131) I need to break 80, regularly.

Interestingly, these 2 still hold true.

Strengths: Short game - saves my arse from the wayward drive and mishit approach shots

As per my most recent round, I'm increasingly annoyed at the fact I can set up a genuine GIR chance with a solid drive only to then miss the GIR.

So, the plan is simple.

Get more practise at hitting the greens. So, when I have my afternoon on course practise, I'm going to use driver and then hit 5 balls into each green (assuming of course I'm not holding anyone up).

But.

I am also going to stick with one swing.

You see, I feel I have a few different iron swings and I really need to commit to improving my iron game. So I'm booking in for a lesson and intend on getting it clear in my head as to the swing I am going to groove and use, and THEN STICK WITH IT.

I've found I change because the swing set up I've been taught for my my irons really messes up my driver.

So i'm booking in for a lesson to get it sorted.

I will also continue my work with the mental side of my game. I need to focus better, but also, unwind between shots, so I need to develop a good mental 'switch' for the pre-shot routine to ensure I stay focused when I prepare for, and then execute, each shot. I also need to stop outside factors affecting me, factors like slow play due to groups in front and this having groups waiting behind, etc.

So, here goes, see where I am this time next year.

• Madam, Weetbix and ink like this

#637 ink

ink

Pawsome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35039 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 09:53 AM

12 months and only 1000 posts...FMD, some farkheads have done that in a day!

I think you need a few fun challenges for the next 12 months.

• Madam, Francie, Goldy and 2 others like this

#638 Madam

Madam

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 14029 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 10:17 AM

TL;DR - It's my anniversary post :o , yes, that's right, I've been posting dribble on here for 12 months :rolleyes: , and just to top it off, this is post number 1000 :huh: . So it's time to assess the progress and reset the goals. ;)

So, to refresh your memory, this is from my first post:

A few things have changed too in the past 12 months...

Best score for 9 holes, is now even par which I shot on 5th January 2018 on the back 9 at Ocean Shores.

And, with that round ...

Best score for 18 holes, became the 11 over OTS for an 83 at Ocean Shores for the full round on the 5th January 2018.

I joined Ocean Shores in June 2017 and handed in my 3 cards to get an 'official handicap' (GA 16.0) which gives me a playing handicap of 18.

So, I've achieved the goals I set myself, and, made some scoring milestones over the past 12 months.

So, what's next?

As I've already posted, I am now looking at chasing a single figure handicap. Actually, to be precise, I want to achieve the goal of playing off a daily handicap of 9 (or less), and that means, at Ocean Shores off the whites (scratch rating is 72 with a slope of 131) I need to break 80, regularly.

Interestingly, these 2 still hold true.

As per my most recent round, I'm increasingly annoyed at the fact I can set up a genuine GIR chance with a solid drive only to then miss the GIR.

So, the plan is simple.

Get more practise at hitting the greens. So, when I have my afternoon on course practise, I'm going to use driver and then hit 5 balls into each green (assuming of course I'm not holding anyone up).

But.

I am also going to stick with one swing.

You see, I feel I have a few different iron swings and I really need to commit to improving my iron game. So I'm booking in for a lesson and intend on getting it clear in my head as to the swing I am going to groove and use, and THEN STICK WITH IT.

I've found I change because the swing set up I've been taught for my my irons really messes up my driver.

So i'm booking in for a lesson to get it sorted.

I will also continue my work with the mental side of my game. I need to focus better, but also, unwind between shots, so I need to develop a good mental 'switch' for the pre-shot routine to ensure I stay focused when I prepare for, and then execute, each shot. I also need to stop outside factors affecting me, factors like slow play due to groups in front and this having groups waiting behind, etc.

So, here goes, see where I am this time next year.

Whats your goal for amount of posts by this time next year?

• hack2489 likes this

Join iseekgolf.com on Facebook

Follow iseekgolf.com on Twitter

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#639 MaxxOn

MaxxOn

On Top

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20082 posts
  • LocationThe Burrow

Posted 12 April 2018 - 10:25 AM

Whats your goal for amount of posts by this time next year?

1 million, if he breaks them down into 500 words per post.
  • Madam, ink and hack2489 like this

#640 Madam

Madam

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 14029 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 10:33 AM

1 million, if he breaks them down into 500 words per post.

He'd be in the lead if he did one word posts!

• MaxxOn and hack2489 like this

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#641 MaxxOn

MaxxOn

On Top

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20082 posts
  • LocationThe Burrow

Posted 12 April 2018 - 10:37 AM

He'd be in the lead if he did one word posts!

He has a lot to learn.

#642 Madam

Madam

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 14029 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 10:39 AM

He has a lot to learn.

He's lasted a year on ISG he cant be too smart! ;)

• ink, MaxxOn, Joe79 and 1 other like this

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#643 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Moss Effect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13324 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com