#496 hack2489

hack2489

WTF, I can change this now?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 14 March 2018 - 04:38 PM

Range session after lunch today. Had to clear my frazzled head, and didn't expect much.

But.

Off the grass, contact was generally solid. Some ugly fat, inch behind the ball ones which were when I tried to HIT the ball.

Managed to dial in the direction control.

Distance was hard to judge with the wind into and slightly left to right.

After knocking wedges to targets, I grabbed the 5 iron and aimed at the 160m target, and after stupidly trying to "hit" and getting ugly results, I reset, and swung through and BAM snotted 5 in a row to the target. Hmmm. OK, lesson there to learn ... IT GOES FURTHER AND STRAIGHTER IF I JUST SWING THE CLUB, swing through and TRUST the 'down the line' swing, but come from inside and feel like I'm swinging "out" through the ball...

3W and Driver results were the same. Stupid ugly misses when I tried too hard or overswung.

Hmmm.

Starting to get the feel back. Due to play a charity event on Friday. Hopefully the swing from today turns up.

#497 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5280 posts
  • LocationProbably at work

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:09 PM

When I want to snot one I have learned to concentrate on timing not brute strength.
  • hack2489 likes this
http://www.golf.org....icap/4070201550
What can possibly go wrong?

#498 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5280 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:09 PM

Not that I actually have “brute” strength 😄
  • GhettoGolfer and hack2489 like this

#499 hack2489

hack2489

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 15 March 2018 - 05:24 AM

When I want to snot one I have learned to concentrate on timing not brute strength.

That's it for me too.

But.

Stupid idiot ego head brute force monkey me seems to default to trying to use brute force to hit it.

Hopefully it will click and I can learn to trust to just swing through...

#500 hack2489

hack2489

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 17 March 2018 - 09:20 AM

Played in a charity event for the Westpac Lifesaver Helicopter yesterday. Fun day. Our group shot 1 under OTS, with the eventual winners shooting 4 under OTS. after handicap adjustments, the burglars smashed it winning by 7 shots over the runners up. We came in equal 4th, and outside the money.

I held an NTP on a 125m par 3 with a 2.35m shot, eventual knocked off by a 2m shot late in the day.

I made some good solid shots after a series of woeful shots early in the round. Putter was hot, sinking several 3m putts for par and a couple for birdie. Our team effort let down in the early holes due to errant tee shots.

Good fun day for a worthwhile charity.

#501 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5280 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 12:12 PM

Do you consciously try to take swing thoughts from lessons and study onto the course, or do you leave that for practice and just swing with a clear head?

#502 hack2489

hack2489

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 18 March 2018 - 05:03 AM

Do you consciously try to take swing thoughts from lessons and study onto the course, or do you leave that for practice and just swing with a clear head?

Both.

I try to "warm up" and get the feel of the swing like I had, have, from my practice or last good game. Thinking as I warm up before first tee of each nuisance, and swing thought to get the feel. Then, I just swing freely for a bit to get feel, warm, loosen up.

When taking a shot, I go through a set up, pre shot routine I use during practise (yes, I do it for every practise shot at the range UNLESS, I'm trying to learn a change, in which case it is rapid fire shot shot shot to quickly focus on the change), then, on course, after set up, I just execute with one swing thought... ATM that is stay down and swing through.

#503 hack2489

hack2489

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 18 March 2018 - 06:14 AM

So, after a rough first few holes on Friday, I decided to test a theory yesterday afternoon at the new home track.

Wandered on the back nine an tee off at 4.15pm off the 10th with a dedicated plan to warm up the swing muscles and just play easy simple for the first few holes.

Tee off 10, went to plan, but the 110m PW approach in I caught a tad fat and it plugged into the upslope of the bunker. Blasted it out, but at 4m from pin, par was an outside chance until I executed the putt of a lifetime to then watch in awe as it grazed the edge of the hole and proceeded to roll another 3m past ... F.uck, the greens a bit quick today. Missed the putt back, so a nice double to start.

Easy start ok, failing to have a warm up putt before tee off a disaster!

Idiot.

Tinker drive off 11 and proceeded to have a brain fade for the next 4 shots as I chopped it up to the green.

Remembering speed of green from 10, I naturally sooked it and left it short for an two inch tap in for a triple.

Double Triple start and I'm off to the Olympics for degree of difficulty in diving...

Managed to par the 12th with a solid 4 iron, landed left n just off front edge but chipped ait to a foot and walked off happier.

Then, snorted a slightly drawn drive on 13 to middle of fairway at exactly 100m out. Took PW and aimed slightly right due to cross breeze and landed it 5m left of pun, pin high, up n dancing... Missed birdie putt by a toothpick.

Then, proceeded to chop it up all the way down the par 5 14th for a delightful 7.

I'm now convinced, even more so, that my ego is my biggest weakness. Trying to smash one off the tee on 14 after a solid one on 13, just lead to me trying to hit the f.ucker all the way up the par 5, and chopped it up instead.

Stern talking to myself, regroup, refocus on 15 and an easy swing (see d.ick head it works that way) and I dropped 4 iron just off front edge. Another lovely 8iron to a foot and par.

And, FWIW, i finish off every hole and putt out...

Par 4, 16, index 1... Bam, long drive slightly right and, oh, f.uck I'm in the trees but only 140m out. Hmmm, no shot, so bunted driver out to 50m and proceeded to fat the easiest wedge. F.uck me. Chip n couple of putts for a sh.itty double.

ANOTHER regroup and 5iron pin high left on the par 3 17th, with another 8 iron to a foot. Putt out par.

Now, can you guess what I did on the par 5 18th?

Yep. Hack n chop feast for a double. WTF?

Take-away for me:

- f.uck off the ego
- stop trying to smash it
- swing through and stay down
- distance is there if I swing not hit.

And, now, soend more time on course to groove swing in on course setting.

#504 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5280 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 09:15 AM

Sounds familiar
  • hack2489 likes this

#505 hack2489

hack2489

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 18 March 2018 - 03:35 PM

Frigate.

Twinged my lower back in the surf this morning. Was actually sitting waiting for waves when I felt a slight twinge...

Grabbed next wave in, and using past knowledge have kept moving gently all day to stop it seizing up and getting tight. But, just in the last hour I've started to get nervy tingling down my legs and into my feet.

Currently resting up, laying flat, hoping it eases... Thankfully I can use my phone to access interwebs and keep myself entertained.

Might be the end of golf for a while ... again.

#506 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41729 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 18 March 2018 - 10:46 PM

Crap - bad backs suck
Handicap
Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016
Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands, 15/4/18 16th Carbrook
Goal: A round at par or better!
Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion
Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island
Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands
Winner: 2017 Nationals day 5 round at Bonnie Doon
South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer
http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#507 hack2489

hack2489

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 19 March 2018 - 05:28 PM

Crap - bad backs suck

But, apparently help bomb tee shots?

If your weekend round is evidence.

Edited for context. Thread jumping on anti-inflammatory pain killers ATM.

Edited by hack2489, 19 March 2018 - 05:29 PM.

• Weetbix likes this

#508 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41729 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 19 March 2018 - 05:41 PM

But, apparently help bomb tee shots?

If your weekend round is evidence.

Edited for context. Thread jumping on anti-inflammatory pain killers ATM.

Mine wasn’t lower spine though - was the muscles that retract the scapula

They probably don’t add power just stability - maybe spasming made them more stable?
Handicap
Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016
Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands, 15/4/18 16th Carbrook
Goal: A round at par or better!
Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion
Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island
Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands
Winner: 2017 Nationals day 5 round at Bonnie Doon
South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer
http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#509 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10204 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 19 March 2018 - 05:42 PM

Frigate.

Twinged my lower back in the surf this morning. Was actually sitting waiting for waves when I felt a slight twinge...

Grabbed next wave in, and using past knowledge have kept moving gently all day to stop it seizing up and getting tight. But, just in the last hour I've started to get nervy tingling down my legs and into my feet.

Currently resting up, laying flat, hoping it eases... Thankfully I can use my phone to access interwebs and keep myself entertained.

Might be the end of golf for a while ... again.

Thats shitful. How long off?
Because some idiots complain that my sig is too large:
th_Ghettobanner_zpsik8air89.jpg

Golflink: http://www.golf.org....icap/3013502329

#510 hack2489

hack2489

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 19 March 2018 - 05:46 PM

Thats shitful. How long off?

Don't know...

Feels sort of ok. Felt ok throughout the day today.

Dosing up on anti-inflammatory pain killers had probably interfered with my ability to cognitively assess the situation accurately.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users