#346 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Arnie's Army

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11364 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 05 January 2018 - 08:20 AM

If I could shoot 83 at a course I would skip the surf once a week to play comp.

Billionaire Genius Playboy Philanthropist NAGA

2017 VIC ISG OOM Champion

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3023100698

"Team Frank" founding member

#347 hack2489

hack2489

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 05 January 2018 - 08:24 AM

great stuff Hack!!!

Now you know you can do it

Ha ... I knew I could, but just couldn't seem to score.

Still reflecting, but a few things stand out so far:

1. I was very much playing one shot at a time

2. Emotion(s) were very stable. No huge elation with the birds, so not adrenaline rush, and not real emotion with bad shots

3. 'new' pre-shot / shot / alignment routine (I'd cover that separately)

Actually, I think it was that last one that had me just swinging the club and not trying to control the outcome that made the biggest difference.

Oh, and no fade ... good energy for the 18 - plenty of water, coke and the food of champions (hot chips!)

#348 hack2489

hack2489

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 05 January 2018 - 08:31 AM

If I could shoot 83 at a course I would skip the surf once a week to play comp.

Yeah, but, surfing IS so much better. But. Very weather dependent. Hard to know, if on 'golf day, comp day' if the conditions will align and the surf would be awesome. If so, there is no way I'd be teeing off, and I wouldn't like to put my name down to only pull out.

Golf, for me, is a personal pursuit of self improvement, challenge, focus. Comp golf is not important to me in that mix, ATM. That may change in time, but for now, I really enjoy the 9 holes 'practice rounds) of an afternoon, social 18 with a cart, especially with my daughter as my caddy.

Horses for courses.

#349 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5084 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 05 January 2018 - 08:35 AM

3 birds

10th, 11th and 17th

bogey on 14th

double on 18th

rest par

Sneaky edit ;) 

3 birds on one side is excellent work, must've felt good

#350 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5084 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 05 January 2018 - 08:36 AM

What do you mean you don't. Own it. You are :D

Only to you

#351 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Arnie's Army

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11364 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 05 January 2018 - 12:29 PM

Only to you

Sad face 😢
  • Itchy4Scratch likes this

Billionaire Genius Playboy Philanthropist NAGA

2017 VIC ISG OOM Champion

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3023100698

"Team Frank" founding member

#352 hack2489

hack2489

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 05 January 2018 - 01:59 PM

3 birds on one side is excellent work, must've felt good

TBH, I was, and am still rather numb by them, the final 9 and the total score.

It's all just a bit surreal, actually. Weird feeling.

Was the same when I was playing yesterday. Perhaps that's the secret sauce? The emotions were just, well, none really. Yeah, I had a fist pump when I dropped the one on the 10th, and might have had a bit of an adrenaline rush teeing off on 11 (pushed it right) but wasn't really 'buzzing' like I normally would be when (the very occasional) one drops.

Sheesh, I've been ecstatic in the past when I've hit a GIR or two in a round.

I was, honestly, just playing shot by shot ... not having the scorecard myself, and having to write down numbers, seeing the scores, was, in no doubt a real help too. Caddy and I would count the shots together, and she'd write them up, with me shot tracking for FIR / GIR and Putts.

Which brings me to another thought about the shot "routine".

I started a few weeks back, to trial a 'process' of a shot routine as follows:

- check distances

- select club based on distance, breeze, risk management, carry needed, etc.

- stand behind ball and choose target (allowing for breeze, risk management, lie, etc.)

- find spot approx 1 - 1//2 foot in front of the ball that is on the target line and focus on that ...

- take stance, and align club face, body with the 'line' between the ball and my 'focus spot'

- execute shot with the aim of club going along that 'line' between ball and my focus spot

A few things occurred to me with this approach.

1. It took away a lot of swing thoughts and distraction with looking at target, hazards, etc

2. It gave me defined and clear path to target to both align to, and swing to

3. I just swung the club to execute a shot and did not try to 'manufacture' anything with arms, hands, wrists, etc

I used this same approach from tee to and also on, the green.

Putting to a focus spot, a foot forward of ball seemed to keep me square and seemed to make me deliver a smooth stroke with the ball not coming up too short, as it has had a tendency to do previously. I'd been getting frustrated with many putts 'on line' but stopping short by 1 - 5 inches. The focus spot took my thinking away from the hole and let me just execute the stroke with square putter head and good roll down the line ... what happened with the break and roll after was out of my control so I was again not trying to 'manufacture' the stroke.

Well, I think all those things helped. Who knows. Test will be to see how I play next time!

#353 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5084 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 05 January 2018 - 02:01 PM

TBH, I was, and am still rather numb by them, the final 9 and the total score.

It's all just a bit surreal, actually. Weird feeling.

Was the same when I was playing yesterday. Perhaps that's the secret sauce? The emotions were just, well, none really. Yeah, I had a fist pump when I dropped the one on the 10th, and might have had a bit of an adrenaline rush teeing off on 11 (pushed it right) but wasn't really 'buzzing' like I normally would be when (the very occasional) one drops.

Sheesh, I've been ecstatic in the past when I've hit a GIR or two in a round.

I was, honestly, just playing shot by shot ... not having the scorecard myself, and having to write down numbers, seeing the scores, was, in no doubt a real help too. Caddy and I would count the shots together, and she'd write them up, with me shot tracking for FIR / GIR and Putts.

Which brings me to another thought about the shot "routine".

I started a few weeks back, to trial a 'process' of a shot routine as follows:

- check distances

- select club based on distance, breeze, risk management, carry needed, etc.

- stand behind ball and choose target (allowing for breeze, risk management, lie, etc.)

- find spot approx 1 - 1//2 foot in front of the ball that is on the target line and focus on that ...

- take stance, and align club face, body with the 'line' between the ball and my 'focus spot'

- execute shot with the aim of club going along that 'line' between ball and my focus spot

A few things occurred to me with this approach.

1. It took away a lot of swing thoughts and distraction with looking at target, hazards, etc

2. It gave me defined and clear path to target to both align to, and swing to

3. I just swung the club to execute a shot and did not try to 'manufacture' anything with arms, hands, wrists, etc

I used this same approach from tee to and also on, the green.

Putting to a focus spot, a foot forward of ball seemed to keep me square and seemed to make me deliver a smooth stroke with the ball not coming up too short, as it has had a tendency to do previously. I'd been getting frustrated with many putts 'on line' but stopping short by 1 - 5 inches. The focus spot took my thinking away from the hole and let me just execute the stroke with square putter head and good roll down the line ... what happened with the break and roll after was out of my control so I was again not trying to 'manufacture' the stroke.

Well, I think all those things helped. Who knows. Test will be to see how I play next time!

Raise your expectations mate, now you know you can shoot even par why would you expect to do anything different next time? 

You did well to keep it together considering you must've known you were going pretty well. 

#354 hack2489

hack2489

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 05 January 2018 - 02:02 PM

Sneaky edit ;) 

Yes.

#355 hack2489

hack2489

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 05 January 2018 - 02:10 PM

Raise your expectations mate, now you know you can shoot even par why would you expect to do anything different next time? 

You did well to keep it together considering you must've known you were going pretty well. 

TBH, I knew I was going OK, but just not by THAT much. On the tee, waiting, the 18th, I sort of worked back and thought I had a chance at being even for the back nine, but with the horrid front 9, thought I was still well over 90, and all the doubles etc. on the front were more in my mind than the score for the back nine ... I honestly believe if I had known I was well under 90, I would have lost my **** and blown it BIG time, way earlier in the back nine.

Hmmm, expectations.

You know what, I've always thought I could score, but got cranky at myself for stupid errors. Too many times, I have a drive in a good spot with a genuine chance of hitting GIR (you know a distance I think I can hit with accuracy), only to totally stuff up the shot into the green. I have no doubt, trying to "manufacture" the shot, or getting anxious and looking up, or getting tense not wanting to stuff up "another one", all cause me the errors. The shot routine I noted above, has, I think, been the key to overcoming all that ... I think.

Who knows, let's see how I play next time.

Speaking of which, I'm starting to get twitchy ... So tempted to wander 9 holes this afternoon just to test my theory. But, at same time, really don't want to go and stuff it up and give myself a, more than usual, mind f.uck.

• Itchy4Scratch likes this

#356 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12278 posts
  • LocationThirteen point twenty-four warning points

Posted 05 January 2018 - 02:21 PM

Speaking of which, I'm starting to get twitchy ... So tempted to wander 9 holes this afternoon just to test my theory. 

aaaaaand, there you go. 

Bitten and gone 

• hack2489 likes this
"But sometimes there are more important things in life than being pedantic about the rules of golf, or spelling and grammar on golf forums"

#357 hack2489

hack2489

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 08 January 2018 - 09:29 AM

aaaaaand, there you go. 

Bitten and gone 

Ah, yeah, maybe, dunno, well, ahhh...

OK, confession time ... I did sneak out on Friday afternoon, to test my 'theories'. Couldn't hit a decent shot. Lost probably a dozen balls (started to hit old scuffed up sh.itters after pulling 3 left and into the water on the full on the 4th).

So, ah, yeah, back to reality, and my more 'usual' game.

But.

Being the overthinking analytical type, I concluded the shot routine was right, but my focus was off, and I was over swinging (too much backswing).

With Saturday afternoon spent towing my caddy and her mates behind our tinny, I had an enforced day off. Naturally, I used the time to analyse and think over, and or over think, things.

I decided I needed to wander around again to test my thinking and analysis, so yesterday afternoon I walked through the side gate and tee'd off the 2nd at 4.30pm and got in 14 holes by 7.30 when the midgies started to smash me and the lack of food, water n coke started to take a toll.

Shot 5 over for the front 9, and 10 over for 14. I replayed the 2nd, 6th, 7th and 8th (twice).

Focus was much better and I decided not to try too hard and not over swing, limit back swing. Seemed to work. But, I ran out of water, coke and food toward the end of the 9 and started to fade with a double on the 2nd, and the 7th.

The 7th was frustrating, because I nailed a nice draw off the tee that measure 254m (GPS) leaving me 78m to the flag, Took gap wedge, which is usually an 80m club (was wanting to leave it below the flag) and somehow snotted it over the flag and landing on the downslope off the side of the green with it bouncing into a dry water hazard (red stakes). Solid contact punch wedge (club not grounded for those playing along at home) out into the greenside bunker on the other side of the green, and a short sand shot out had me on for 4, from what was a well set up opportunity. 2 putt, double bogey.

Misses into green were slightly left, by around 5m. Could be alignment, or swing, not sure.

I started to get a feel for distances and allowed one less club than I would usually which worked well.

Focus, thinking only shot at hand, and the alignment routine seems to work well. I just have to keep the focus.

Scorecard impact was there on Friday, so I only wrote numbers and marked putts, FIR, GIR on a card and didn't add it up until I was back in the car yesterday. I caught myself early in the round thinking score, and tried hard to concentrate on other things to stop those thoughts creeping in when preparing for a shot. Walking between shots, thoughts wandered to score, but I resisted pulling the card out to check.

My thought process over the ball is to let the result / outcome / ball flight/ etc. happen. Trust the alignment, posture, and swing with ease. I'm no longer trying to smash it, or let ego get in the way of having to hit x club, y distance. I'm just letting it happen.

Let's see if this process can continue...

Edited by hack2489, 08 January 2018 - 09:32 AM.

• Weetbix likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users