#288 hack2489

hack2489

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:18 AM

So, in short... Sheesh, something clicked.

I know I was nowhere near 100% correct, but, the swing thought of "move hips left" to start downswing stopped me from using my arms to throw the club. To then get square contact I HAD to hold the "L" aka wrist angle and so body HAD to go through...

When it all clicked, effortless distance. At 80%, distance was ok, but ball flight straight and good contact. Using this, ah... Method? I wasn't hitting the ground behind the ball. Ball contact first, so felt like hot knife through butter.

Lot of range work needed. But, even still, an easy 80% swing would get around a course. Just need to allow for an extra club.

#289 hack2489

hack2489

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:23 AM

Yep

Showing my age!

The USB in my car does that...

My mrs, a huge WHAM fan.

So, playlist goes from that to AC/DC and cold chisel. Random play can be very interesting!
  • Weetbix likes this

#290 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40401 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:44 AM

On the way to golf yesterday morning playing my Spotify playlist on shuffle I had the following run:

Heartache Tonight Eagles
Holy Holy Neil Diamond
Sweet Dreams Marilyn Manson
Dirty Diana Michael Jackson
Toy Soldiers Marika
Lose Yourself Eminem
Where did you sleep last night Nirvana

So I do eclectic all by myself! :D

Edited by Weetbix, 09 October 2017 - 07:44 AM.

• hack2489 likes this

Handicap

Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016

Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands

Goal: A round at par or better!

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Clubman of the Year

Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island

Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands

South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer

http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#291 hack2489

hack2489

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:47 AM

On the way to golf yesterday morning playing my Spotify playlist on shuffle I had the following run:

Heartache Tonight Eagles
Holy Holy Neil Diamond
Sweet Dreams Marilyn Manson
Dirty Diana Michael Jackson
Toy Soldiers Marika
Lose Yourself Eminem
Where did you sleep last night Nirvana

So I do eclectic all by myself! :D

Yes, but have you analysed how what you listen to on the way to golf affects your game?

Fast, upbeat, quick temp songs vs, say clam, mellow, more moderate ones?

I know from surfing, a LOT of tge pro's use special playlists to get "in the zone". So, I tried it and find I have more energy if I listen to 'back in black' than say "khe san", but, I find something like "deeper water" by paul kelly has me less frustrated when surfing in crowded lineups.

#292 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40401 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:14 AM

I haven't analysed that aspect I have to say

I played well yesterday - God know what that says about that lineup? :o
  • hack2489 likes this

Handicap

Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016

Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands

Goal: A round at par or better!

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Clubman of the Year

Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island

Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands

South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer

http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#293 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22855 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 09 October 2017 - 10:14 AM

Wow, that's really going to the Nth degree, a specific playlist for pre-golf.

I have the car radio going on the way to golf, hopefully more music than talking.  When I arrive, I wouldn't have a clue who was singing what and I don't care.

#294 hack2489

hack2489

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 09 October 2017 - 05:32 PM

Wow, that's really going to the Nth degree, a specific playlist for pre-golf.
I have the car radio going on the way to golf, hopefully more music than talking. When I arrive, I wouldn't have a clue who was singing what and I don't care.

Well, I have gone that far... Yet.

#295 hack2489

hack2489

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 09 October 2017 - 05:36 PM

I haven't analysed that aspect I have to say

I played well yesterday - God know what that says about that lineup? :o

It could be the key to achieving your goal(s)!

And.

Come to think of it, is there anyone, any company, out there selling a pre game compilation CD or mp3 ... The new untapped market for golf aides!
  • Weetbix likes this

#296 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Arnie's Army

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10936 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:32 PM

Toy Soldiers was written by Prince.

Billionaire Genius Playboy Philanthropist NAGA

2017 VIC ISG OOM Champion

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3023100698

"Team Frank" founding member

#297 hack2489

hack2489

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 24 October 2017 - 10:28 AM

At home recovering from a twisted / tweaked spine surf injury from yesterday, I thought I might slide this update in here while the natives are otherwise occupied with the antics from Nationals.

So, since reading and trying the Joe Dante book 'method', the results went from positive to argh downright ugly.

Friday week ago, 13th October, I walked 14 holes and shot 12 over, but had to play very very conservative. Taking a 7 iron to hit into a green from 115m out was not enjoyable. So, I spent some more time at the range, and the whole contact, hit ground fat, etc etc got worse and worse to the point, I had to swing easy and was lucky if a 7 iron went more than 100m. Yep, ugly.

Horrendous weather forced a layoff as the range was closed, and or conditions too appalling to even try a range session - 50kmh east winds and horizontal rain. No way I was going to try to fix a swing with those conditions!

So, back to it on Wednesday last week 18th October, and if I connected well with 5 balls from a large bucket, I'd have been lucky. Fat. Thin. Pull. Slice. I had them all and went home very frustrated. I'm pretty sure the 7 iron didn't get past 100m

On Thursday morning, 19th October, I called the golf pro and scheduled a lesson for Friday afternoon.  But, as it tends to do, work sorted itself sooner than planned on Thursday, so with clubs in the car, I called into the range on my way home to 'test' a theory.

I went back to a grip I was shown during my club fitting. It's essentially both left and right hands rotated toward each other, so, both wrists get a cup, and the whole 'hands' feel solid. There is no way of doing the ‘Dante wrist break’ with this grip. I also decided to downswing with my upper body / shoulders and just left the wrists in the "L" on the way down. Essentially forcing me to turn well through with my body, and to do so, meant my left hip had to clear. Yes, some ugly weird shots appeared to start with, but with an easy swing and easy tempo I started to connect with the ball and a generally straight ball flight resulted. Distance started to return.

So, I cranked it up a notch and then some more ...

By 2/3 pf the way through the large bucket, I was getting the 7 iron consistently, but couldn't really work out distance due to where the markers were ... so I measured a marker with the rangefinder, it was 115m out, so I swapped clubs back to an 8 iron and promptly flew the marker by a good 10/15m. So, I grabbed my 9 iron and dropped 5 balls in a row just over the back of the target.

Sheesh. What a difference. Both distance and direction control.

With the lesson booked for Friday afternoon, 20th October, I figured I would get a ‘check up’ and some input into where to go from here. Lesson went well, with the swing from the Thursday range session joining me while Matt looked on …

Overall feedback was the grip and swing process were correct. But, I still needed, need, more stability in the lower half. Turns out it’s my left knee, leg, giving in too much where as I was thinking it was my right leg as I started the downswing. Actually, I think it is my right knee, leg, when I swing from the top and ‘cast’, but with the new, different upper body turn hips clear swing it is my left knee that turns in too much on the backswing and then ‘lets go’ as I start the downswing moving the upper body / torso through as hips clear.

So, key’s from the lesson where keep doing the grip, keep the same swing process, temp, and work on keeping left knee, leg, more stable while starting the downswing with the left hip going back.

Range session on Sunday 22nd October (crap weather again on Saturday), and ended up going through 2 large buckets of balls. Irons started out rough, and then came good, with mixed distance and accuracy. But, couldn’t hit driver with the ‘new swing’. Really tried to work on it, but it got worse and worse. Then, trying to go back to old swing and it was crap too. Bugger. I’d had been getting consistence with the Driver, now it had gone. More Irons, and mixed clubs, and generally all were OK. But, Driver needs work.

Left the range feeling frustrated, but with such a great day, onshore winds, and time, I called home to ask if my caddy was keen to drive the cart again. Resounding YES and off we went for a late 9 at the new home club.

As suspect the Diver was rubbish. Although, first tee, off the 10th, and I tonked one out there ok and was left 145m to the pin. Time to see how this new swing works on course. Grabbed a 6 iron and dropped it pin high about 3m right, on the dancefloor with a genuine birdie chance. Rolled the putt an inch short, perfect line, but just short. Bugger.

11th, the par 5, I drove the ball right into the trees, and found it just off the cart track running along the 16th hole. OK, play smart I thought, so took a 4 iron to punch it out into the fairway toward the hole, but got it a bit fat and it ended up in the rough, fairway side, with a clear shot. Phew. Lucky. OK, let’s try this new swing again. 4 iron in hand, easy swing and BAM, off it went straight and solid, landing 120m out from the green. Beauty, easy 8 iron and we’ll be on for 4, but, I got it a tad thin and into the back bunker it flew. Up and down from there, for a bogey.

And, that’s pretty much how the rest of the round went. Driver was crap, but irons and short game held up generally OK. Without lost ball penalties, I shot 10 over for 12 holes (played the 13th, 14th & 15th twice), but with the 5, yes FIVE, lost balls, an ugly 15 over resulted, and every one of them from tee shot errors, and, of which, except one (Par 3, 17th) were due to Driver.

Now, with my back / spine needing some rest and recovery after having it twisted in the surf yesterday, I’m not sure when I’ll get back to swinging a club to work out the new swing some more.

#298 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4177 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 25 October 2017 - 06:07 AM

I can hit a 7iron more than 100m. Just saying.
  • Kiwi and Weetbix like this

Golflink

Winner C Grade Long Drive 2013 OOM #2 Heidelberg

Winner B Grade Long Drive 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Winner B Grade NTP 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#299 Kiwi

Kiwi

Wholly Awesomeness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23871 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 06:43 AM

I can hit a 7iron more than 100m. Just saying.

Same.
And posts with more than a few lines are so tedious
Half the Trentham dream team

#300 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22855 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 25 October 2017 - 10:04 AM

I can hit a 7iron more than 100m. Just.