#17 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40266 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 15 April 2017 - 03:22 PM

Love to see a man with a plan! Good luck.
  • hack2489 likes this

Handicap

Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016

Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands

Goal: A round at par or better!

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Clubman of the Year

Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island

Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands

South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer

http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#18 Kiwi

Kiwi

Wholly Awesomeness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23837 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 03:43 PM

Nope.

To be honest, I felt humbled just being able to watch someone like him get a lesson. Watching the changes recommended being put immediately into practice. On such a different level to a hack like me!

What? ... A better set in 3 weeks that will improve my game, be longer and more forgiving!

F%^&.

I'll just splurge some more hard earned and get the latest n greatest in a few weeks.

Will I have to get use to them? So, have to regroove my swing? So, I may as well not even use the ones I just got?

Geez, thanks Kiwi for the heads up.

Yeah wasn't sure if you knew that taylormade is the worst offender for releasing more new sets every couple of months.
Half the Trentham dream team

#19 hack2489

hack2489

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 15 April 2017 - 07:52 PM

Yeah wasn't sure if you knew that taylormade is the worst offender for releasing more new sets every couple of months.

Phew.

I was panicking.

Then you mention it ... TaylorMade.

Thank f*&% I got AP1's ... from TITLEIST

:rolleyes:

• Francie likes this

#20 hack2489

hack2489

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 15 April 2017 - 07:55 PM

And I reckon if you can find out who does the groups for the SEQ days, he may well get you and I together.

Hope you've got broad shoulders. You'll be carrying me all day if it's a team event. :P

Edited by hack2489, 15 April 2017 - 08:06 PM.

#21 hack2489

hack2489

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 15 April 2017 - 08:42 PM

TL:DR - post range session update. It was not pretty, but new clubs very consistent even on significant miss hits.

OK, so used the local range (Royal Chinderah) this afternoon. Facility uses oldish Srixon rangeballs.

Important? Well, yes ... simple tip, don't go beating ya self up over distances and the odd weird ball flight!

See here: http://forums.iseekg...alls/?p=1553461

So, how'd the hack go? A mixed bag.

First up used the 7 Iron. Put into practice the new grip and swing thoughts etc. and the balls were landing around the 125m mark (measure with rangefinder) I had selected. Looking back, it did get peppered, when I was not trying to chase extra distance. Idiot.

It was at about the point of frustration that I could not get the new 7 Iron to go more than 125m that I "remembered" the old range ball compression issue. So old 'rule of thumb', on the range, said allow 10% until I could research it. So, that made it say 138.88m, so lets call it 140m. And for those reading at home, the calc is 125m divided by 90%.

Hmmm.

Old clubs, the RAC OS II, the 'on course' 140m was my 6 Iron. Slight improvement. But, a bit of apples and oranges. Range vs 'on course'.

But, after researching it tonight, it seems 15% is more like it.

So, well, 125m divided by 85% equals 147m ... Sheesh, OK I'll take that, so my 7 Iron any day of the week!

The other key thing with the new club, it's consistency with the same distance on miss hits. It was REALLY noticeable that a swing 'not quite right' still resulted in very OK distance and direction.

The Swing

Mental focus was really good. But, execution at times, and when frustrated and chasing distance, so a lot of the bad stuff creep in and the result as it should be ...  very poor swing.

But, in the mix there were some good, really good shots.

Got the shoulder turn going with the new grip. Geez, the grip feels weird, but it does work.

It's forcing a totally new and different swing. WAY less hands and arms are moving way more 'connected' to the body.

BUT, I feel like I have no idea what I am trying to achieve, or should be doing.

I going to focus on the process, lesson tips and assigned swing thoughts and BACK OFF chasing distance.

Check the ego ... IDIOT.

Other Stuff.

Did a bit with lob and chip shots. HAD TO USE ALL THE NEW CLUBS!

60 deg, lobbed well, but didn't like the chip with it .. and wouldn't normally use it for that. It will be a go to for sand shots.

What I do is use my 'game' ball (I put 5 into practice use) and hit them from a 'dropped' lie ... just like they would land on the course. Then each one gets hit to a different flag on the chipping green. After all five executed, I grab the putter and 'finish off' the ball as if it was a ball 'in play' on the course. Goal, one putt ... Two at worse.

First 5 lobs and chips were very short - new club jitters. So, most went for two putts. Three putted when just tapping in and missed. Stupid. ALWAYS align putts you IDIOT.

Next 5 were much better. Got 3 withing 1 putt range, and sank two of them with the putter. Good up and down save. Others 2 putts, so, if on course, that's a bogie (assuming only approach shot missed the GIR). That's OK for me at this stage.

Next 5. Changed clubs. Yep, making it hard for myself. But ... chip n run with the new PW was sweet. New GW, not a good pitch n run club. All PW shots were easy one putt finish. Others the GW shots, went in for two putts, so again bogey golf. OK for first session.

Wedges into Green.

Then, went over to pitching green ... I really do not know why people use range balls for this. Anyway, same 5 'game balls', using the new GW. First batch came up short. Next batch, much better. Going to take time to get the feel of the new wedges. That's OK. was only the first session.

Grabbed 5 range balls on way back from the pitching green and had 'full swings' with the GW.

SMOKED EVERY ONE OF THEM ... good contact and good direction.

Good high point to end the session.

Feeling?

1. Not really knowing what the new swing should feel like. Try again tomorrow and focus on the process, swing tips and thoughts. Let the result happen and DO NOT CHASE DISTANCE IDIOT.

2. Feeling for wegdes good for first session.

3. Lob wedge, 60 deg, is nice for flop shots and will be perfect for sand. 56 deg will be good as back up sand, when more distance needed and also for those longer high soft land shots that are needed to save the up and down.

4, Need a new putter. The old Nike is too inconsistent. Getting a fitting and lesson when the new Driver arrives in a week or so.

5. Back, lower back is sore. Few muscles in bum cheeks and upper body feeling the use too.

Time to a bourbon and coke. Rest up. Surf in the morning. Golf practice tomorrow afternoon again.

#22 Kiwi

Kiwi

Wholly Awesomeness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23837 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 10:31 PM

Phew.

I was panicking.

Then you mention it ... TaylorMade.

Thank f*&% I got AP1's ... from TITLEIST

:rolleyes:

Thank goodness I got it wrong
Enjoy the journey

Edited by Kiwi, 15 April 2017 - 11:00 PM.

• hack2489 likes this

#23 Dr.inky

Dr.inky

another beer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33600 posts
  • Locationthe bar

Posted 15 April 2017 - 11:05 PM

Fark me...that's allot of words..

#24 Kiwi

Kiwi

Wholly Awesomeness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23837 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 11:09 PM

No just the 2 lines.....

#25 Dr.inky

Dr.inky

another beer

• Members
  • 33600 posts
  • Locationthe bar

Posted 15 April 2017 - 11:19 PM

No just the 2 lines.....

Not you short arse...

#26 Kiwi

Kiwi

Wholly Awesomeness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23837 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 11:26 PM

Not you short arse...

Come on mate.....

#27 Dr.inky

Dr.inky

another beer

• Members
  • 33600 posts
  • Locationthe bar

Posted 16 April 2017 - 08:58 AM

Come on mate.....

Sorry stretch

#28 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11983 posts
  • LocationThirteen point twenty-four warning points

Posted 16 April 2017 - 09:07 AM

Hope you've got broad shoulders. You'll be carrying me all day if it's a team event. :P

The boring part about the SEQ days is that it will always be boring single stableford as the single (side event) but the main, more prestigious one is the new and original team events that I make up or vary from other formats.
The one I have planned for the next game is a fun one where everyone gets involved.

(Now we wait for a couple of years to the Vic boys to claim it as their own)

But yeah, I've been carrying the committee for a while so I have broad shoulders
  • hack2489 likes this
"But sometimes there are more important things in life than being pedantic about the rules of golf, or spelling and grammar on golf forums"

#29 hack2489

hack2489

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 16 April 2017 - 10:33 AM

That's why I add the bit at the top ... ya know, the TL:DR.

It's the 3 second highlight reel. ;)

I'm using this as a log of my journey. Maybe someone one day will get something from it.

If nothing else, I can look back and see where I keep f&*%ing up.

Don't worry, the enthusiasm of having new clubs will wear off soon and the posts will probably dry up altogether. :huh:

• RobNewy and Dr.inky like this

#30 hack2489

hack2489

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 16 April 2017 - 10:43 AM

The boring part about the SEQ days is that it will always be boring single stableford as the single ...

Makes sense to use stableford, otherwise, from what I read on here, it may take days to finish off a round while everyone counts every shot.

... but the main, more prestigious one is the new and original team events that I make up or vary from other formats.

The one I have planned for the next game is a fun one where everyone gets involved.

(Now we wait for a couple of years to the Vic boys to claim it as their own)

I think it's due to something in the water supply down there.

This 'team event' format sounds intriguing. When do you plan on unveiling the details of it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users