Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8382 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 14 April 2017 - 10:51 AM

Useless fkkn thread. No pics ffs!
  • hack2489 likes this
6th March 2016 - Beat the ISG Matchplay Champion!

Posted Image

#3 hack2489

hack2489

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:08 AM

Ease up.

I'm on my way to get them!
  • GhettoGolfer and Weetbix like this

#4 RobNewy

RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9807 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 14 April 2017 - 12:07 PM

Lovely.

Start up a thread in the playing the game bit.

Than we can really start that malarkey!

#5 hack2489

hack2489

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 14 April 2017 - 07:16 PM

Start up a thread in the playing the game bit.

Hmmm ...

Apparently I did. :rolleyes:

• Madambo and RobNewy like this

#6 Bumpy_McBumpFace

Bumpy_McBumpFace

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10735 posts
  • LocationThirteen point six warning points

Posted 14 April 2017 - 07:41 PM

Mads is a clever sneaky ninja like that.

So how 'bout them photos?
  • Madambo and hack2489 like this
"But sometimes there are more important things in life than being pedantic about the rules of golf, or spelling and grammar on golf forums"

#7 hack2489

hack2489

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 14 April 2017 - 08:08 PM

Mads is a clever sneaky ninja like that.

So how 'bout them photos?

Sheesh. Hold ya horses...

I've been at the range with the fitter and coach all afternoon.

New Irons fitting and distance "retro fit" completed.

Geez my swing needs some work.  :(

New Driver and Fairway fitting completed. :)

This bloke walked in while I was there, chasing a lesson. Didn't take much notice as I was contemplating club fitting and swing "issues". As I finished up, old mate walks back in and asks if OK now, club fitter says, yep, head on out back ... I took a double look, looked at the club fitter, and he goes, yep, that's Brian Lara.

So, of course, I had to see how he hit them.

Yep. Can play ... right handed!

Really nice bloke. And, geez, his ability to put changes into effect quickly was AMAZING.

He plays off 5.

So, anyway bumpy (and anyone else half interested) here ya go:

Attached File  clubs close up.jpg   99.81KB   1 downloads

Attached File  clubs in new bag.jpg   164.3KB   1 downloads

And, YES, that's a nice new bag they are sitting in .. actually, a surprise from my wife and daughter. Arrived home to find it sitting in the middle of the family room!

Looking back, they did seem more interesting than usual in my trip to check out bags yesterday. Now I know why, sneeky buggers were planning on buying it for me. 

• GhettoGolfer and Francie like this

#8 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8382 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 14 April 2017 - 09:17 PM

^^^^ finally.... this guy... lol.

New bats are always awesome.

You should fit in well with the seq crew.
  • Madambo and hack2489 like this
6th March 2016 - Beat the ISG Matchplay Champion!

Posted Image

#9 RobNewy

RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9807 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 14 April 2017 - 10:30 PM

Nice bag as well

• hack2489 likes this

#10 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

See, the trick is... to find your swing..

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8682 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:49 PM

Did you get the Princes autograph? At least a selfie?

What I'm talkin about is a game... A game that can't be won only played...

http://dorsetgolfclub.com.au/

#11 Kiwi

Kiwi

Wholly Awesomeness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23648 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:58 PM

Those irons will be Obsolete in 3 weeks
Half the Trentham dream team

#12 hack2489

hack2489

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 15 April 2017 - 07:35 AM

Did you get the Princes autograph? At least a selfie?

Nope.

To be honest, I felt humbled just being able to watch someone like him get a lesson. Watching the changes recommended being put immediately into practice. On such a different level to a hack like me!

Those irons will be Obsolete in 3 weeks

What? ... A better set in 3 weeks that will improve my game, be longer and more forgiving!

F%^&.

I'll just splurge some more hard earned and get the latest n greatest in a few weeks.

Will I have to get use to them? So, have to regroove my swing? So, I may as well not even use the ones I just got?

Geez, thanks Kiwi for the heads up.

• Madambo likes this

#13 Madambo

Madambo

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 11220 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 09:21 AM

^^^^ finally.... this guy... lol.

New bats are always awesome.

You should fit in well with the seq crew.

How about with the Vic boys and girls?

• GhettoGolfer likes this

#14 hack2489

hack2489

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 15 April 2017 - 09:34 AM

TL:DR - Hacks record of current swing change notes.

For my own reference mainly, but, just in case some of you are interested, I'm going to write up my swing change notes.

So, at the first club fitting, it was suggested I need the following "swing thoughts" to match the swing changes recommended:

• Grip - Left hand more knuckle, tuck thumb. Cover left thumb with right hand.
  • Align -  Shut shoulders. Tuck Elbow. Across arms at elbows align to target. Bring left should forward.
  • Turn - shoulder away & right hip back.

The grip change felt very different and made my hands "hold" the club a bit tight. I had to get my left hand further to the right, and my right hand further to the left. Result being a significant cup in the wrists, and a very 'stiff' feeling in left arm, making it feel more solid and very straight. This will feel more natural as I practice. Tension in hands, the tight hold on the club will ease off with repetition and practice.

Then, I had to work on closing my shoulders, which the grip change did to a large extent. But, still had to ensure the line across my arms, at the elbows, was aligned to the target. This felt like I was really pointing to the right of the target.

Make a turn back with my left shoulder properly turning under my chin was the next issue. This linked with getting my right hip to turn back and NOT SLIDE TO THE RIGHT.

Known to hit it fat, often, and especially when fatigued toward the end of a round, it's this last bit that's now key to getting the swing consistent. I really need to work on the left shoulder under, right hip back, no slide, keep weight inside right leg (load it up).

Impact of Changes?

Well, at the first club fitting, swinging my old 7 iron, my old swing, grip, etc. the Trackman data showed clubspeed of around 70-75 mph, a roll out distance of 130m, which is what I would achieve 'on course'. "Carry Distance" as I've now been informed is the key stat here, and it was, from memory around low 120m. So, a good baseline. As my old swing, it was fairly accurate, but inconsistent. Even with good club path, the face would open a bit due to the shaft, so I naturally closed it with my hands - a key aspect to unlearn now with the new clubs!

With the grip change only, and it's natural flow through impact to other parts of the swing, clubspeed jumped up to 85mph and resultant change in 'carry distance' saw it out to around 130m.

Going through the club fit, the best irons for me ended up the AP1's, and those saw my club speed around the same 85mph, but the 'carry distance' jumped up to around 140m.

Next phase of swing thoughts:

• Pause at top of back swing
  • Extend club and hands to the target.
  • Hold your finish.

These came from the Iron selection, but more so now with the new irons in my hands, yesterday.

Impact of these Changes?

Distance, not much. But accuracy and consistency massive.

So, the new 7 iron, yesterday was showing the same data ... clubspeed around 85mph, carry distance 140m.

Working on the swing changes, the carry dropped a bit to 130 - 135m, but the club path and angle of attack both improved, with the club path essentially perfect, but the club face closing (due to my old habit of correcting it with my right hand - I have to work on stopping that) ... but, when both were good, no surprise the shot was straight.

BUT, my drop kick, fat hit, was well and truly in force yesterday. The "turn" and not slide was not taking hold, but the potential (when I stop that slide) is huge. Some serious accuracy and distance on the way. This will no doubt flow through to the Driver. I'm excited at the prospects.

Having not practiced, a deliberate decision until the new irons arrived (I did not want to be confused with swing vs club issues using my old irons) the grip change is still feeling weird and making the hands tight, and obviously has a flow through impact to the overall swing.

With the new irons now, I'm off to groove the changes over the next week or two.

Plan is to have the changes grooved so that when the new Driver arrives, the grip and hands change feels more natural, and the swing 'turn' and follow through are consistent.

I have to stop myself from:

• Sliding hips. My hips must turn, right bum cheek back... not slide backwards from the target.
  • Overly excessive back swing. Turn until comfortable. Load up inside of right thigh. It feels like back swing is really short, but, its actually not, it's perfect when I turn until comfortable.
  • Loading the inside of right thigh will produce power once I get turn sequence starting from legs up to start the forward swing. This will take some practice to get the correct feeling.

• Madambo likes this

#15 Bumpy_McBumpFace

Bumpy_McBumpFace

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10735 posts
  • LocationThirteen point six warning points

Posted 15 April 2017 - 10:00 AM

Didn't read that yet mate, but that is all awesome.
It's so handy to have it all written down so you can go back and look to remind yourself every now and then.

And I reckon if you can find out who does the groups for the SEQ days, he may well get you and I together.
  • hack2489 likes this
"But sometimes there are more important things in life than being pedantic about the rules of golf, or spelling and grammar on golf forums"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users