PapaBravo

Suspect

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Victoria

Posted 10 April 2017 - 01:00 AM

Hey lads,

First time poster, long time lurker.

What better way to introduce myself than a swing video.

Kids were at the Grandparents, managed to get the wife along to the range to take some footage for the first time for me, mainly because I'm entirely self taught and haven't seen myself on vid since I first started many years ago. In retrospect I wish I had asked her to take some front on footage too, but maybe I'll get a chance next school holidays.

Currently recovering from a side strain caused by (I suspect) over practicing and overplaying during Jan/Feb to try and get the most out of the summer. I also purchased some new clubs which meant excuses to play and practise more.

If I'm having a good day with the driver, I'll hit most fairways with a baby draw or a straight cut, distance is never a problem. On days where I struggle with the driver, I miss with a straight push block right and the correction can cause a horrid duck hook. Before the injury I was driving consistently due to more focus on my grip and trusting the set up and swinging in line with the line of my feet.

I'd love the opinions on my driver swing from better players. The group I regularly play with struggle to break 100, and I usually shoot high 70's, low to mid 80's depending on the course and the day and the only opinions I ever get are "wish I could hit it that far" or "man you are playing like us today" when the big miss comes out. I don't play comp because I cannot commit to playing every week, but some weekends (read:when I get permission) I get to play 2 rounds and love to travel and play everywhere in Vic.

Main courses are Growling Frog and Yarrambat as they are both about 10 minutes from where I live. My 7 year old daughter gets lessons at Yarrambat on Saturday mornings because her goal is to be able to play rounds with me, and I'd rather her start in the right direction than being taught by a weekend warrior like myself!

If there is anything obvious that you better golfers see please offer your input!

• Madambo likes this

#2 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4435 posts
  • LocationProbably at work

Posted 10 April 2017 - 04:07 PM

Hi PB and welcome.
Unfortunately you are likely to get much advice from golfers worse than yourself. Much better to take lessons and get advice from someone who knows what they are talking about.
Having said that I think the shirt colour and general ensemble is spot on.
  • GhettoGolfer, Goldy and PapaBravo like this
I'm just pissed off OK? Don't ask.
READ EM AND WEEP
http://www.golflink....k_No=4072302355

#3 ink

ink

Power in (p)ink

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32228 posts
  • Location#keepfighting

Posted 10 April 2017 - 04:14 PM

Hi PB and welcome.
Unfortunately you are likely to get much advice from golfers worse than yourself. Much better to take lessons and get advice from someone who knows what they are talking about.
Having said that I think the shirt colour and general ensemble is spot on.

i'm not convinced with the socks

• ------ and PapaBravo like this

#4 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4435 posts
  • LocationProbably at work

Posted 10 April 2017 - 04:18 PM

i'm not convinced with the socks

Your just an old fart what would you know?
  • PapaBravo likes this
I'm just pissed off OK? Don't ask.
READ EM AND WEEP
http://www.golflink....k_No=4072302355

#5 ink

ink

Power in (p)ink

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32228 posts
  • Location#keepfighting

Posted 10 April 2017 - 05:01 PM

Your just an old fart what would you know?

I know almost anything about everything.
  • ------ and PapaBravo like this

#6 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

See, the trick is... to find your swing..

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8682 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 10 April 2017 - 06:11 PM

Waggle was average at best

• PapaBravo likes this

What I'm talkin about is a game... A game that can't be won only played...

http://dorsetgolfclub.com.au/

#7 Can Break 80

Can Break 80

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8255 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 07:26 PM

here is some advise.

legs are too stiff and at address flat footed.

back is too straight need to bend from waist a bit more..

overall action is good and you can at least hit ball.

try to play in golf shoes and not street shoes.

agree with earlier comments, go and get series of lessons to improve swing, and learn to score as well.

good luck with golf and hope to see you at one of our OOM games in future.

Edited by Can Break 80, 10 April 2017 - 07:28 PM.

• PapaBravo likes this

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2016 3 x winner on SGA tour. 

2015 SGA tour Match play champion

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October 

2012 winner of  BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#8 YouGottaHitIt

YouGottaHitIt

8 for 2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1440 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 07:31 PM

Welcome PB! Hope you enjoy the madness.

You clearly need to work on your ground forces, so I'd strongly suggest getting tested in 3D. I can recommend someone...

Not sure how you go with the putter, but if that's an issue, I have a guy for that too...

• Madambo, Jiminy, koiom K Frenzy and 1 other like this

If you can read this you're too close!
http://www.golflink....k_No=3040204856

#9 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3679 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 10 April 2017 - 07:39 PM

I've got some advice, dont take anyone's advice.
  • Weetbix and PapaBravo like this

#10 ------

------

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17387 posts
  • Location.

Posted 10 April 2017 - 07:43 PM

I have similar advice, stay out of any golf related thread.
  • Itchy4Scratch and PapaBravo like this

#11 YouGottaHitIt

YouGottaHitIt

8 for 2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1440 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:45 PM

So he should ignore your advice?

• PapaBravo likes this

If you can read this you're too close!
http://www.golflink....k_No=3040204856

#12 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3679 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:51 PM

So he should ignore your advice?

Of course
  • PapaBravo likes this

#13 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2039 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 09:40 PM

Good solid swing but I'd like to see you hit the irons off the deck before making an informed assessment. The fundamentals are not bad, from the tee with the big headed driver is, easy to hit ! Lets get down into the dirt and find out what you've really got ?

Jon...

ps -  welcome. 

#14 Joe79

Joe79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2400 posts
  • LocationVic (Metro North)

Posted 11 April 2017 - 08:10 AM

Welcome, Agree with CB on the legs looking a bit stiff and back too straight. Try and get a bit more looser in the knees so to speak and bit more tilt at the hips.

But as others have said we are all weekend warriors and lessons is the best course.

Frog has a good teacher in Wayne and I believe Goldy can vouch for him as he is a member there and has used him. 'Bat is also good as well! Maybe get a lesson after the kids are done and give your daughter a bucket to hit while you are getting a quick lesson.

Cap: 16.2 Gamegolf

WITB: Big Bertha 1.5 Mini 12* on on Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 60 Stiff Shaft | Big Bertha Mini 1.5 12* on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Great Big Bertha 5W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Cally X Forged 13's on Project X PXi 6.0 Steel shafts 3-PW | Mack Daddy 2 Slate 56* S Grind | Odyssey Metal X Milled #1 |

Spares: X2 Hot Pro 8.5 on "Made For" Prolaunch Red Stiff 46" | 9.5 Razr Fit Extreme on Prolauch Red Stiff 45" | X Series Jaw Slate 58* C Grind | X Series Jaw Slate 50* C Grind | X Series Jaw Slate 54* C Grind | X Series Jaw Slate 58* C Grind | Odyssey Metal-X #1 (2013) | Mack Daddy 2 Slate 52* S Grind | Mack Daddy 2 Slate 60* S Grind |

Goals: Get back to GA 15.9

#15 PapaBravo

PapaBravo

Suspect

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Victoria

Posted 11 April 2017 - 01:45 PM

Thanks for all of the comments so far.

Yes I usually wear golf shoes on the course, and completely agree that the street shoes aren't ideal. This was my first session back at the range since the injury (its still sore) and its much harder to use the ground forces without good grip on the ground.

Thanks for the comments about everything being stiff. Being a bigger guy the more I bend at the knees and hips the harder it is for me to hold stability through the swing and finish balanced. Comments noted and something I will work on.

My wedge game and short iron game is my strongest area. I'm super comfortable with all of the shots from within 120meters from the pin. 5 iron and above I tend to struggle with, to the point where I'm thinking of dropping my new 4 iron and going back to a hybrid. Putter is less than brilliant on some days, and only just better than ok other days, and I work less on putting than any other component because I have the attention span of a . ..... oh look a squirrel....

I will be looking at a couple of lessons when I fully recover, as I feel it would be good as my body forgets some things (muscle memory for lack of a better word) it will be good to rebuild from a solid foundation, focusing on key weaknesses in the swing. I think I get too flat to the plane on longer irons, causing some fat contact, lack of height, and the feeling that I need to hit it too hard to get a result, but probably best not to assume these things and get someone to spot the issues rather than guessing and stuffing up everything else.

As for the attire, that shirt is about 10 years old and super bright and obnoxious which is why I love it so much.

Newbie question, what is this OOM that has been mentioned?

• GhettoGolfer and Weetbix like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users