103 replies to this topic

#91 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1691 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 05:31 PM

You are going to amass more warning points than Stableford points.

There must be a big ISEEK prize.

Four rounds with OB or something.
  • Madambo, iRON MiCK, Goldy and 1 other like this

#92 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4626 posts
  • LocationProbably at work

Posted 11 April 2017 - 10:31 PM

To be precise, there were 3 other players Dq'd at KH on the day for the same rules infraction ( practicing on the course GV 4-6.1 )
Jon...

I think it's a very sad state of affairs when 8 players (4+4 adversaries) have their days golf ruined by what can only be described as a pretty minor breach of rules. It's penant but it's still an amateur comp FFS. I know "it's the rules" but it's still totally farking ridiculous. A 2 stoke penalty or 1 hole lost at the most surely would be sufficient. Stoopid.
  • Tolmij, Weetbix and Goldy like this
I'm just pissed off OK? Don't ask.
READ EM AND WEEP
http://www.golflink....k_No=4072302355

#93 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9016 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 12 April 2017 - 06:25 AM

and how come you can say ****, but even when I quote your saying it I am not allowed to?

Because boss.
6th March 2016 - Beat the ISG Matchplay Champion!

Posted Image

#94 kevin123

kevin123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:12 AM

I think it's a very sad state of affairs when 8 players (4+4 adversaries) have their days golf ruined by what can only be described as a pretty minor breach of rules. It's penant but it's still an amateur comp FFS. I know "it's the rules" but it's still totally farking ridiculous. A 2 stoke penalty or 1 hole lost at the most surely would be sufficient. Stoopid.

The rules are pretty clear and available on golfvic website. All players should read and understand them. There are practice areas at most courses and none better than Kingston Heath. I think that unless you are very sure that you are allowed there is no reason to practice on the course beforehand.

#95 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4626 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:46 AM

The rules are pretty clear and available on golfvic website. All players should read and understand them. There are practice areas at most courses and none better than Kingston Heath. I think that unless you are very sure that you are allowed there is no reason to practice on the course beforehand.

Yes I know that. As I said "it's in the rules". I'm not saying the ruling was not applied correctly. I'm saying the penalty appears out of proportion to the crime especially in an amateur comp. especially when it's a local rule and not even in the rules of the game, if I've said that right.
READ EM AND WEEP

#96 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12117 posts
  • LocationThirteen point twenty-four warning points

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:54 AM

Yes I know that. As I said "it's in the rules". I'm not saying the ruling was not applied correctly. I'm saying the penalty appears out of proportion to the crime especially in an amateur comp. especially when it's a local rule and not even in the rules of the game, if I've said that right.

I get that, but it ultimately is a pretty black and white rule of GV Pennant that you can't practice on the course before the match. 

The penalty for that is DQ, yeah it may well be extreme for some kid who does a couple of putts on a nearby green, but the rule needs to cover the whole range of what practice on the course could mean. 

That be everything from a single putt on a green to playing a full round before. It's all about equity for the match. 

• kevin123 likes this
"But sometimes there are more important things in life than being pedantic about the rules of golf, or spelling and grammar on golf forums"

#97 Madambo

Madambo

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 12541 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:56 AM

and how come you can say shit, but even when I quote your saying it I am not allowed to?

because you asks silly questions like this that should be totally OBvious.!

Join iseekgolf.com on Facebook

Follow iseekgolf.com on Twitter

For golf industry news.

#98 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4626 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 10:09 AM

I get that, but it ultimately is a pretty black and white rule of GV Pennant that you can't practice on the course before the match.
The penalty for that is DQ, yeah it may well be extreme for some kid who does a couple of putts on a nearby green, but the rule needs to cover the whole range of what practice on the course could mean.
That be everything from a single putt on a green to playing a full round before. It's all about equity for the match.

Yeah I get that. Obviously for playing the whole course dq is reasonable and I guess it's a matter of where do you draw the line. So I'll just shut up and go back to work😄
READ EM AND WEEP

#99 kevin123

kevin123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 10:19 AM

I think part of the problem is players not reading the conditions of the competitions they play. The penalty may be a bit harsh but I think the reason it's in play is because there are other players (colts) on the course and if everyone wanted to practice on course it would be unmanageable. And in the morning the course staff would be getting the course ready.

#100 rogolf

rogolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 10:27 AM

I think part of the problem is players not reading the conditions of the competitions they play.

This might be the major problem (ask Dustin Johnson about that following Whistling Straits).  The Rules do permit the Committee to prohibit practice on the course or any part of the course before a match play round.

• kevin123 likes this

#101 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1691 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 08:20 AM

I think part of the problem is players not reading the conditions of the competitions they play.

This might be the major problem (ask Dustin Johnson about that following Whistling Straits).  The Rules do permit the Committee to prohibit practice on the course or any part of the course before a match play round.

I try to work out (guess) why? if the reason for a Rule is not stated.

My guess is that there are perhaps a few reasons. Some possibilities. 1) Interclub events have players when have to travel varying distances, even considerable and there is unequal opportunity for practice on the Course where the event is held.
2) To prevent players from interfering with the preparation of the course.

That said I sympathise with players not realising a bit of chipping near the first tee area is actual practice. As usual it is based on lack of knowledge of The Rules.

Now this has happened I hope the Body running the pennants looks at taking preventative action to stop innocent mistakes and DQ of a player without a stroke being played in the match, in future.

#102 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11710 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 14 April 2017 - 08:39 AM

I think part of the problem is players not reading the conditions of the competitions they play. The penalty may be a bit harsh but I think the reason it's in play is because there are other players (colts) on the course and if everyone wanted to practice on course it would be unmanageable. And in the morning the course staff would be getting the course ready.

There will always be players that do not have a reasonable knowledge of the rules & do not read the conditions of play. However if the competition administrators wish to take the action of banning something that is perfectly allowable by the rules this will only add to the confusion.It would be interesting to know why Golf Victoria has invoked this condition of play.

Edited by pom, 14 April 2017 - 08:41 AM.

Member of the Vision Test Pilot Project.
No VTPP11

#103 kevin123

kevin123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 09:25 AM

There will always be players that do not have a reasonable knowledge of the rules & do not read the conditions of play. However if the competition administrators wish to take the action of banning something that is perfectly allowable by the rules this will only add to the confusion.It would be interesting to know why Golf Victoria has invoked this condition of play.

The rule has been in play for many years, I guess over 20 so it's not new. I am sure it is there due to course preparation and others on the course being interfered with. Do the players practice on course before the Ryder cup or match play championship?

I don't think the players were dq'd for chipping near the first tee.
  • Madambo likes this

#104 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2213 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 09:44 AM

Don't think you can call it an amateur comp anymore, with the pros playing it's just a professional/amateur pennant golf thingy, run by the rules of GV !

Jon... 

• RobNewy likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users