Photo

Wake Up Call - In Light Of Pennant Player Dq Last Weekend

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#16 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18967 posts
  • LocationReclinng in The Bahamas ... in my mind.

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:26 AM

The world has surely gone mad in terms of golf rules.

When I've been stuck on a tee behind some slow groups, rather then do nothing, I'll often just use my driver like a long putter and putt a ball from one side of the tee, to the tee marker on the other side. Would this be considered practising, or if the ball went ahead of the marker, would it then be in play?

http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner
2016 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner (Pending successful legal action)

EVENT WINS
2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team
2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)
2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)
2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)
2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.
"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2016.

#17 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11653 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:28 AM

Is this ruling  posted as a local rule or a condition of competition?

Member of the Vision Test Pilot Project.
No VTPP11

#18 seve_

seve_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1296 posts
  • LocationSandbelt Country

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:35 AM

When I've been stuck on a tee behind some slow groups, rather then do nothing, I'll often just use my driver like a long putter and putt a ball from one side of the tee, to the tee marker on the other side. Would this be considered practising, or if the ball went ahead of the marker, would it then be in play

GPJ the problem arises when you hit back when it has gone in front of the tee markers

#19 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11800 posts
  • LocationThirteen point twenty-four warning points

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:35 AM

When I've been stuck on a tee behind some slow groups, rather then do nothing, I'll often just use my driver like a long putter and putt a ball from one side of the tee, to the tee marker on the other side. Would this be considered practising, or if the ball went ahead of the marker, would it then be in play?

No for both questions
  • KAVL likes this
"But sometimes there are more important things in life than being pedantic about the rules of golf, or spelling and grammar on golf forums"

#20 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11800 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:36 AM

GPJ the problem arises when you hit back when it has gone in front of the tee markers

How so seve?
Which rule is that a problem with?
"But sometimes there are more important things in life than being pedantic about the rules of golf, or spelling and grammar on golf forums"

#21 seve_

seve_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1296 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:41 AM

If there is a local rule about practising on the course as in GV pennants last weekend

#22 seve_

seve_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1296 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:44 AM

Practise all you like but IMHO keep it behind the markers

#23 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11800 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:51 AM

If there is a local rule about practising on the course as in GV pennants last weekend

so for Gaz not playing GV Pennants, there isn't a rule that says he can't do that?

#24 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4622 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:53 AM

He wasn't even dq'd for that though, he was putting on one of the greens.

#25 seve_

seve_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1296 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:57 AM

This just gets sillier by the moment then, seems there was no respect for any aspect of the competition on the day.

#26 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18967 posts
  • LocationReclinng in The Bahamas ... in my mind.

Posted 05 April 2017 - 10:36 AM

It does get sillier by the moment Seve.

It's not like I'm actually going to use my driver to putt with on a green, that bares no resemblance whatsoever to the bumpy uneven tee boxes up at Beacy.

There is a local rule I believe about practicing on the course during a comp round, but I certainly wouldn't consider that practice.

http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner
2016 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner (Pending successful legal action)

EVENT WINS
2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team
2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)
2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)
2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)
2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.
"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2016.

#27 seve_

seve_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1296 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 10:44 AM

It's deemed practise if it goes past the markers, its on the course and you hit it back

It it goes past the tee marker and you walk up and pick it up no problem

Hope this makes sense

Edited by seve_, 05 April 2017 - 10:45 AM.

#28 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11800 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 11:14 AM

It's deemed practise if it goes past the markers, its on the course and you hit it back
It it goes past the tee marker and you walk up and pick it up no problem
Hope this makes sense

I'm still not understanding where hitting through or in front of the tee markers and then the problem with hitting it back comes into it.

From the GV 2017 Pennant handbook, 4.6 (ii) allows for practice during the match in accordance with Rule 7-2.

7-2 says that you can't make a stroke, but you can chip or putt in locations specified as a. Putting green of last hole, b. Any practice putting green, or c. The teeing ground of the next hole to be played.

Are you classifying Gaz knocking a driver back to behind the tee markers as a stroke?

#29 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22504 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 05 April 2017 - 12:06 PM

Normally, for match play, practice on the course is permitted before the match begins.

If GV pennant rules disallow that, then the only practice permitted is that on a specified practice area, such as the practice putting green or driving range. No other practice anywhere else on the course is permitted.

The pennant rule quoted by Bumpy above relates to practice during a match.

Chipping back through the markers has nothing to do with it.

The relevant questions are:

• Was practice before the match prohibited by the pennant rules and, if so, at what penalty?
  • Had the match begun (by teeing off on the first allocated hole of the match)?

If the match had begun and this was between holes, the player is allowed to chip in the vicinity of the teeing ground providing he does not delay play.

#30 baggiez

baggiez

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 03:05 PM

Just looking for an opinion/rule here - before teeing off to commence a comp round a player hits a few chips in a spot adjacent to the tee (about 10 metres away and separated by a cart path) but not in a designated practice area. Problem?

Also, is everything else other than the practice fairway the 'course' 

Normally, for match play, practice on the course is permitted before the match begins.

If GV pennant rules disallow that, then the only practice permitted is that on a specified practice area, such as the practice putting green or driving range. No other practice anywhere else on the course is permitted.

The pennant rule quoted by Bumpy above relates to practice during a match.

Chipping back through the markers has nothing to do with it.

The relevant questions are:

• Was practice before the match prohibited by the pennant rules and, if so, at what penalty?
  • Had the match begun (by teeing off on the first allocated hole of the match)?

If the match had begun and this was between holes, the player is allowed to chip in the vicinity of the teeing ground providing he does not delay play.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users