• Please log in to reply
183 replies to this topic

#31 Madambo

Madambo

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 11343 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 09:39 AM

There is  a " statute of limitations" actually. It is called completion of the competition. The competition is played over 72 holes & then the results are confirmed & posted. Once the results of a competition are finalized they cannot be changed except in exceptional circumstances. The officials, once they were made aware of the rules breach had no choice but to penalize her. As for this issue of home viewers ringing in and reporting these incidents, I am in 2 minds. One, it seems totally unfair that only some players in the field are under this type of scrutiny purely because the TV is following that group. but 2, Do we really want someone to win a competition like this when it is obvious that she did not play within the rules ,be it due to carelessness or intent?

I dont think external viewers should have any say (via email, phone, or social media), especially a day later! For majors like this stick an official with every group (I think they do?) and its their job to "police". If they or their playing partners don't see anything then all good and round is complete.

Optionally have a couple online officials watching from the camera viewpoint.

You are right viewers are only seeing the top players so theoretically the others are at an advantage. Maybe not to win but can move up places in score if they were to break a rule, on purpose or not.

#32 SteveH115

SteveH115

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 10:14 AM

You say that like its a bad thing

I am surprised the person could still use the phone seeing as one hand was busy using the remote for slo mo's and the other was, well, you know, reaching for a tissue or something.

• Benjamen Breeg, RobNewy, Goldy and 1 other like this

#33 rogolf

rogolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 10:15 AM

I'm with McSnapperton.

Did they catch Tiger's before he submitted the card? Because that could be the only difference I can see. Other than..he did it intentionally.

And how can you be pinged for submitting an incorrect card, when you were unaware at the time that it was incorrect?

I'm happy enough with the first two shot penalty re the replacement of the ball in the wrong spot. I think the second penalty, however, is ridiculous.

Tiger's situation was different because the Committee had reviewed it during his round and concluded that it was not a breach.  Tiger then went on TV post-round and said that he had intentionally dropped behind the original spot so as not to have the same thing happen again.  The Committee then recognized their original error and corrected it; correction of Committee error is permitted by the Rules.

Prior to 2016, Ms Thompson would have been disqualified for submitting a score lower than she achieved due to not including a penalty, even though she did not know had been incurred.  The "kinder, gentler" Rules in 2016 changed DQ to permit the Committee to include the original penalty and add two penalty strokes for submitting the lower-than-achieved score.  It's better than DQ.

Edited by rogolf, 04 April 2017 - 10:17 AM.

#34 Goldy

Goldy

Got any Greek in you?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35153 posts
  • LocationWant some?

Posted 04 April 2017 - 10:30 AM

Tiger's situation was different because the Committee had reviewed it during his round and concluded that it was not a breach.  Tiger then went on TV post-round and said that he had intentionally dropped behind the original spot so as not to have the same thing happen again.  The Committee then recognized their original error and corrected it; correction of Committee error is permitted by the Rules.

Prior to 2016, Ms Thompson would have been disqualified for submitting a score lower than she achieved due to not including a penalty, even though she did not know had been incurred.  The "kinder, gentler" Rules in 2016 changed DQ to permit the Committee to include the original penalty and add two penalty strokes for submitting the lower-than-achieved score.  It's better than DQ.

But not much.

Winner "Moonah Legends" 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner "The National" 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015 | Winner C grade OOM "The Sands" 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid / Srixon AD333 ball

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole "Kooindah Waters" 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round "The Glades" 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.
Goldlink

#35 seve_

seve_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1139 posts
  • LocationSandbelt Country

Posted 04 April 2017 - 10:42 AM

In this case it is , runner up cheque beats nothing anyday of the week

#36 Goldy

Goldy

Got any Greek in you?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35153 posts
  • LocationWant some?

Posted 04 April 2017 - 11:26 AM

I'm thinking the money wasn't her biggest concern.
  • koiom K Frenzy likes this

Winner "Moonah Legends" 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner "The National" 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015 | Winner C grade OOM "The Sands" 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid / Srixon AD333 ball

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole "Kooindah Waters" 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round "The Glades" 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.
Goldlink

#37 Madambo

Madambo

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 11343 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 11:29 AM

I'm thinking the money wasn't her biggest concern.

Im thinking the winner may feel a little hollow on the win?

#38 The Pres

The Pres

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17551 posts
  • Location.

Posted 04 April 2017 - 11:50 AM

It would have been worse if Lexi won and had not been penalised for cheating.

• pom and languid like this

#39 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1656 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 03:36 PM

I dont think external viewers should have any say (via email, phone, or social media), especially a day later! For majors like this stick an official with every group (I think they do?) and its their job to "police". If they or their playing partners don't see anything then all good and round is complete.

Optionally have a couple online officials watching from the camera viewpoint.

You are right viewers are only seeing the top players so theoretically the others are at an advantage. Maybe not to win but can move up places in score if they were to break a rule, on purpose or not.

Good points throughout.

Warning this is a long post!
On Rules Officials, the Tours don't have many Officials on the Course at any time. Considering the money in the tournament and how cheap RO,S are to employ it is not smart. More officials would save time in getting Rulings done promptly. Having an official at the Lexi T group would not necessarily have saved the day. RO's are not policing players on Rules. They act as a resource for the players to clarify any Rukes matters of concern.
On TV Feeds I agree that the pictures being sent to viewers should have a rotation of Tournament RO's watching for possible breaches. This would largely avoid the viewer reports which cause so much unhappiness. If an RO Had picked up the breach on a screen the 2 strokes penalty would have been confirmed by the match officials and the player advised at an appropriate time. That time would be before she signed her card for the day's play. They would invite her to watch a reply with them and as gently as possible give her the bad news. Add 2 strokes to score on a particular hole
Anyway you look at it she breached a Rule and it is fair to the rest of the field that the penalty is applied.
I think all top earning professionals should know they are going to be closely watched on TV and they need to keep alert and play according to the Rules.
A while ago I read a suggestion that It would be smart for the mega earners toiclude a personal Rules Expert in their tournament entourage to walk with the group and be available to check Rules matters and watch for potential breaches.
In the ideal world this person would be his caddy.

Edited by languid, 04 April 2017 - 03:38 PM.

• Madambo likes this

#40 voss

voss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1600 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:08 PM

I have not read the post in detail but I agree with the commentators that Lexi should not have been penalised for signing an incorrect score card on the previous round the day before. If correct, in their assumption, Lexi wins by 2 shots. She has been dealt with very harshly and obviously the result cannot be reversed , Hopefully a full investigation will be administered by the US LPGA and we don't have to hear of any similar situations in the future.

#41 Benjamen Breeg

Benjamen Breeg

ISG AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL 4BBB CHAMPION, WITH HARRO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16179 posts
  • Location#KW #CHAMPION

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:42 PM

Attached File  IMG_3526.JPG   141.81KB   2 downloadsAttached File  IMG_3527.JPG   104.67KB   1 downloads

Here are the pics of Lexi at last years ANA
DEBUT: US Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA 2016
DEBUT: ANA Inspirational LPGA Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA 2016
Reacquainted myself with Karrie Webb, Australia's Greatest Golfer

#42 The Pres

The Pres

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17551 posts
  • Location.

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:49 PM

I have not read the post in detail but I agree with the commentators that Lexi should not have been penalised for signing an incorrect score card on the previous round the day before. If correct, in their assumption, Lexi wins by 2 shots. She has been dealt with very harshly and obviously the result cannot be reversed , Hopefully a full investigation will be administered by the US LPGA and we don't have to hear of any similar situations in the future.

A couple of years ago she would have been disqualified, so two shots for signing for a lower score is fair.
  • voss likes this

#43 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1656 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:25 PM

Whatever commentators you refer to they are wrong.
She signed for an incorrect scorecard. The competition had not closed.
The penalty has been softened for this type of mistake from DQ to 2 penalty strokes.
The officials got it right.
  • voss likes this

#44 ColinCL

ColinCL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:46 PM

Instead of reading the post in detail, just read Rule 6-6d and in particular the Exception.

http://www.usga.org/...s.html#!rule-06

And don't hold your breath waiting for a full investigation into the correct application of a rule.:)

Edited by ColinCL, 13 April 2017 - 05:51 PM.

#45 Shanks4ever

Shanks4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3080 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:59 PM

Instead of reading the post in detail, just read Rule 6-6d and in particular the Exception.

http://www.usga.org/...s.html#!rule-06

And don't hold your breath waiting for a full investigation into the correct application of a rule. :)

The issue is the logic or lack thereof of said rule.  

How could you possibly know you signed for a wrong score when you don't know you have acquired a penalty unless of course you are clairvoyant?

• Tolmij and Goldy like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users