#1 ------

------

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17397 posts
  • Location.

Posted 01 April 2017 - 05:15 PM

Hi,

A friend of mine is getting lessons and has put a small dot/line marking on his grip with a texter.

He uses this as a reminder as to where he needs to put his left thumb.

He is currently putting in his cards to get his handicap and some old grump told him that it was illegal.

I said I wasn't sure but I think it is fine as long as the markings aren't changed during the round. But I'm honestly not sure.

Hopefully one of the gurus on here will know.

OB-viously I mean a real guru.

Thanks

Edited by ------, 01 April 2017 - 05:19 PM.

#2 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2896 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 05:36 PM

There are no restrictions on marking the grip.

#3 ------

------

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17397 posts
  • Location.

Posted 01 April 2017 - 05:39 PM

Perfect.

Thank you.

So frustrating for a new player to get the wrong info from people who clearly don't know.
  • Monty85 and Joe79 like this

#4 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3703 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 01 April 2017 - 06:24 PM

Perfect.

Thank you.

So frustrating for a new player to get the wrong info from people who clearly don't know.

This.
  • Monty85 and Joe79 like this

#5 ------

------

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17397 posts
  • Location.

Posted 01 April 2017 - 06:29 PM

This.

Sometimes when people say the stupist things you start questioning yourself, haha.

And even if it was illegal the way this guy went about it to a new player was pretty ordinary.

Edited by ------, 01 April 2017 - 06:30 PM.

#6 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3703 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 01 April 2017 - 06:36 PM

Sometimes when people say the stupist things you start questioning yourself, haha.

And even if it was illegal the way this guy went about it to a new player was pretty ordinary.

Had the same thing happen to a mate of mine who is only new. Old bloke told him he couldn't tap in a putt while holding the flag stick in his other hand. My mate had no idea so was apologising until I asked the bloke to tell us which rule he was talking about. He obviously couldn't do that.

Makes you wonder how many guys just cop that he penalty because they don't question the old blokes ramblings.
  • Monty85 likes this

#7 ------

------

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17397 posts
  • Location.

Posted 01 April 2017 - 06:43 PM

Had the same thing happen to a mate of mine who is only new. Old bloke told him he couldn't tap in a putt while holding the flag stick in his other hand. My mate had no idea so was apologising until I asked the bloke to tell us which rule he was talking about. He obviously couldn't do that.
Makes you wonder how many guys just cop that he penalty because they don't question the old blokes ramblings.

We have a young bloke who plays with us a bit and he has only had a handicap for about a year. He has been playing socially for a few years. Anyways he is off about 15 and still learning the rules. Always ask questions, he's a good kid.

Anyway he took a drop in a wrong spot one day from a garden bed (which made no difference) and after the round we told him and said don't worry about it but you know now.

Also said don't mention it to any blokes you don't know at the club cause some will carry on.

Maybe help newbies and not abuse them.

Edited by ------, 01 April 2017 - 06:44 PM.

• Monty85, Goldy, Joe79 and 1 other like this

#8 ink

ink

Power in (p)ink

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32260 posts
  • Location#keepfighting

Posted 01 April 2017 - 07:27 PM

Hi,

A friend of mine is getting lessons and has put a small dot/line marking on his grip with a texter.

He is currently putting in his cards to get his handicap and some old grump told him that it was illegal.

I said I wasn't sure but I think it is fine as long as the markings aren't changed during the round. But I'm honestly not sure.

Thanks

Is it weeti?

#9 ------

------

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17397 posts
  • Location.

Posted 01 April 2017 - 07:34 PM

Is it weeti?

He would wear the texter off before one shot with all that regripping.
  • Kiwi, Francie, Schmuck and 1 other like this

#10 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2039 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 10:29 AM

I'd question the use of holding the flag stick if he had used it to help him making the stroke in anyway. To brace himself against the wind or steady himself if he was a bit shaky nervous or as an alignment aid etc. Rule 14 Assistance - 2a Physical Assistance. 

So maybe the old guy wasn't 100% wrong but just didn't know the right reasons for his comment ?

Jon... 

#11 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3703 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 02 April 2017 - 10:43 AM

I'd question the use of holding the flag stick if he had used it to help him making the stroke in anyway. To brace himself against the wind or steady himself if he was a bit shaky nervous or as an alignment aid etc. Rule 14 Assistance - 2a Physical Assistance.
So maybe the old guy wasn't 100% wrong but just didn't know the right reasons for his comment ?
Jon...

Lifting the flag out of the hole to tap in a putt cannot be helping you in any way, nor did old mate indicate that was what he was implying. He just thought holding the flag while making a stroke was illegal.
  • voss likes this

#12 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21630 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 02 April 2017 - 11:13 AM

Hi,

Thanks

Thanks Max, I would have replied but AAA did that for me.

Some grips come with patterns printed on them to help.

Note that, except for putters, grips must have a circular cross section, so no lumps or bumps or flats are permitted.

#13 ------

------

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17397 posts
  • Location.

Posted 02 April 2017 - 11:18 AM

Thanks Max, I would have replied but AAA did that for me.
Some grips come with patterns printed on them to help.

Note that, except for putters, grips must have a circular cross section, so no lumps or bumps or flats are permitted.

Yeah, good.

#14 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21630 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 02 April 2017 - 11:19 AM

Jon... 

Holding the flag stick completely off the ground with one hand while putting with the other could not possibly be deemed as assisting the player.

But once you start resting an end on the ground while holding it or even have it leaning against your body, could raise questions as to whether it is assisting.  Usual club comp should be fine, but try that in pennant and you're leaving yourself open to argument.

#15 Bumpy.M

Bumpy.M

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10765 posts
  • LocationThirteen point twenty-four warning points

Posted 02 April 2017 - 11:36 AM

Holding the flag stick completely off the ground with one hand while putting with the other could not possibly be deemed as assisting the player.
But once you start resting an end on the ground while holding it or even have it leaning against your body, could raise questions as to whether it is assisting. Usual club comp should be fine, but try that in pennant and you're leaving yourself open to argument.

If you're close enough to be tapping it in while holding the flag and your opponent hasn't given you the putt, then there is different cause for argument.
  • Commish, RobNewy, Monty85 and 4 others like this
"But sometimes there are more important things in life than being pedantic about the rules of golf, or spelling and grammar on golf forums"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users