Photo

Killara Vs Pymble Vs Avondale (Time To Revisit!)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Northshoregolfinsider

Northshoregolfinsider

Suspect

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 04:11 PM

So, I thought it would be a good opportunity to revisit an old thread about the current state of the better known North Shore golf clubs in Sydney, from the perspective of members and guests/friends of members who have played there recently. From my research, there is a clear drive to secure new members at some of these clubs, and with a rapidly ageing membership at some, it would be a great forum for people to disclose the pros and cons of each club for the benefit of prospective members/applicants. Having recently moved back into the area, I am considering which might be the best one to approach.

For avoidance of doubt, this should cover Killara, Pymble, Avondale, and, if you want to extend the catchment area a bit further.....Concord, Terrey Hills and Elanora. Although I do appreciate the latter three are of a higher standard. Also, keep the comments factual and to the point and do not include any defamatory statements. Idea of this thread is to give a clear, factual summary of politics, state of the course, quality of service, value for money, financial discipline of the club, and quality of the personalities within the membership. All of which are key things to consider when joining a club.....

Edited by Northshoregolfinsider, 26 March 2017 - 04:28 PM.

#2 Theguru

Theguru

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 07:30 PM

I could talk for hours NSGI...they all have their pros and cons.
Avondale are resurfacing all of their greens, due to be finished by about September.
I think it is the best lay out of the three.
They've all got politics, depends which club you have the most connections at.
If you've got some mates at one of the clubs and predominantly play with them then the broader club politics aren't really an issue
If you haven't got that many connections at either, may as well join Terrey Hills. Best conditioned course, arguably the best track and membership is sellable, no brainer
  • Northshoregolfinsider likes this

#3 Commish

Commish

No Rhyme Nor Reason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13303 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 26 March 2017 - 07:50 PM

Can't afford any of them and declare that I have not been invited to play Killara or Elenora.  Pymble (at St Ives) is in the nice average category.  The membership were very hospitable when I have played there and I like that during the summer months they have the iced lemon water outlets on numerous holes.  More clubs should do something similar.  Especially those that have very little shade/seating to offer.

Of the others that I have been lucky enough to have played.. For course condition and layout,, Terrey Hiiils followed closely by Concord and Avondale.  Love those courses but it has been roughly 8 years since I have played Concord (don't really understand why they are doing the restyle of the course) 5 years since played Avondale and 3 years for Terrey Hills.  Found the members at Terrey Hills to be quite laid back and accepting,  it would appear my nose was in the right place when I have played Avondale as nobody else seemed to be looking down there's at me.  Concord, well, even back then it was good to feel like a juvenile in playing in and aged care facility.  For the record... I was 54 when I last played Concord.  

• BarnEsy05 and Northshoregolfinsider like this

The key to success is to learn to do something right, then do it right every time. Oh I wish.....
Three time winner of the treasured WBT.
2012 ISG National Champs 2nd Round winner @ Robina Woods
2013 ISG National Champs 1st Round winner @ 'The Dunes'
2014 ISG National Champs - Top 10 finish - Played like a girl - MUNT GOLFER

2015 ISG National Champs - Deservedly crowned the National  N.A.G.A.
2016 ISG National Champs 4BBB champion with Francie

Hole in One - Rosnay GC, 157 metre Par 3 - 27th February 2015

http://www.golflink....k_no=2030804409

#4 pjm

pjm

Suspect

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:33 AM

Any idea on the joining fee for Avondale?  I know that Killara's joining fee has dropped significantly over the last few years.

#5 BarnEsy05

BarnEsy05

FLABBERGASTED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29884 posts
  • LocationIn Disbelief

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:46 AM

My comment would have to be: how about you other NSWalians come to one of our local golf days!
  • Commish and Francie like this

A

DON'T LET THE BLACK DOG WIN...

HELP IS OUT THERE

5 Time ISG NSW WBT Winner

2013 ISG NSW WBT COC Runner Up

2015 ISG NSW WBT COC

2nd ISG NSW Life Member Inductee

2012 Inaugural ISG National Supreme Putting Champion .

2013 ISG National Championships...13th place...now that's desperately unlucky

2013 ISG National Championships...3rd Place 2nd Round - Moonah Links
2014 ISG National Championships...13th place...no other golfer could be that desperately unlucky 2 years in a row!

2015 ISG National Championships...21st place...that's farked

2016 ISG National Championships...waaaaay down the list.

2016 ISG National Championships...2nd place Yarra Yarra Satellite Game 

2016 ISG National Championships...2nd place Huntingdale Satellite Game

2016 ISG National Championships...Captain of winning NSW Team, SOO.

2013 Inaugural Brass Yacht Winner

2014 Brass Yacht Winner

2015 Brass Yacht Runner-up

2016 Brass Yacht Winner

Life Motto: "If it's free, it's for me!"

Team Live4BarnEsy...forever undefeated angel-2-smiley-emoticon.gif

Desperately Unlucky ©

#6 Commish

Commish

No Rhyme Nor Reason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13303 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 05 April 2017 - 04:30 PM

My comment would have to be: how about you other NSWalians come to one of our local golf days!

Perhaps they feel intimidated by the unbelievable scoring that is required to have the distinction of placing your name upon the WBT.  I mean, the last round is an obvious standout.  Apart from that, yeah, seems to be a heap of Sydneyites around that couldn't be bothered meeting others outside of their own circles.

• BarnEsy05 and Francie like this

The key to success is to learn to do something right, then do it right every time. Oh I wish.....
Three time winner of the treasured WBT.
2012 ISG National Champs 2nd Round winner @ Robina Woods
2013 ISG National Champs 1st Round winner @ 'The Dunes'
2014 ISG National Champs - Top 10 finish - Played like a girl - MUNT GOLFER

2015 ISG National Champs - Deservedly crowned the National  N.A.G.A.
2016 ISG National Champs 4BBB champion with Francie

Hole in One - Rosnay GC, 157 metre Par 3 - 27th February 2015

http://www.golflink....k_no=2030804409

#7 max_k

max_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • LocationSydney North Shore

Posted 13 April 2017 - 09:47 PM

Played Killara and Avon regularly as my club does regular time swaps. Killara back 9 is beautiful but the three paddocks over there and crossing roads gets a bit tiresome. Club is nice and members there are friendly. Avondale you are on a lot of holes that OB along one side in the back 9. A great layout. Beautiful clubhouse really they have something something special there.

There is a changing scene in Northern Sydney clubs. A lot of membership is getting restructured to cater for the modern time poor family/career person. Those with the most income to spend on membership are ironically the people busting their gut with work and young families. A difficult thing for these clubs but they are changing slowly to try and entice 30/40 year olds in on good deals.

• Madambo likes this

Pennant Hills GC

GA hcp 17

#8 Northshoregolfinsider

Northshoregolfinsider

Suspect

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:45 AM

Any idea on the joining fee for Avondale? I know that Killara's joining fee has dropped significantly over the last few years.

I have heard it's well north of $10k.....

Edited by Northshoregolfinsider, 17 April 2017 - 08:49 AM.

• Madambo and Northshoregolfinsider like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users