51 replies to this topic

#16 pt73

pt73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 04:05 PM

Royal Sydney is so good that they are going to completely renovate it.

Not entirely sure the standard of the practice facility has much bearing on the rating of courses. Conditioning has some relevance. The Australian is great if your idea of great is a difficult USA model course with lakes and unusual imported bunker sand. Not my cup of tea, each to their own I guess.

Royal Sydney are renovating because every green needs to be replaced due to infestations of Poa that have destroyed the quality of the surfaces. Given that they've decided to take a wider view of some other potential changes.

• chevychase likes this

#17 Shanks4ever

Shanks4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3082 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 07:09 PM

Royal Sydney are renovating because every green needs to be replaced due to infestations of Poa that have destroyed the quality of the surfaces. Given that they've decided to take a wider view of some other potential changes.

Yes, the master plan would suggest there was a much wider view to be taken.

#18 pt73

pt73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 08:50 PM

Correct but it's very doubtful that any of the radical things will ever be approved by the members.

#19 Shanks4ever

Shanks4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3082 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 09:59 PM

Correct but it's very doubtful that any of the radical things will ever be approved by the members.

Will 18 become a par 3 for example?

They should bulldoze the mickey mouse course Thomson made over a while back, use some of that land to get a great 18 hole course and build a par 3 and practice facility with the land remaining. Won't happen because the club is too conservative for that radical approach.

#20 macc

macc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 11:56 PM

pt73

It'll be a pity if the members don't approve Hanse's plan. It will make the course miles better. And to vote against it because the last hole is a par 3 is just silly.

Someone told me last week the 18th was one of the best holes in Australia. Seriously? Take away the clubhouse and it's not in the top 1000.

• Shanks4ever likes this

#21 Happy_Dude

Happy_Dude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 06:54 AM

Someone told me last week the 18th was one of the best holes in Australia. Seriously? Take away the clubhouse and it's not in the top 1000.

I also think it's a fantastic finishing hole.  Except for Calcavecchia's cakewalk in 89, it's always been the scene of great drama.  While that may be a function of frequency and the final hole, it's also but one sign of a pretty good golf hole..... isn't it?

I am not interested in your blog.

#22 Shanks4ever

Shanks4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3082 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 02:00 PM

I also think it's a fantastic finishing hole.  Except for Calcavecchia's cakewalk in 89, it's always been the scene of great drama.  While that may be a function of frequency and the final hole, it's also but one sign of a pretty good golf hole..... isn't it?

In one word NO

I will expand to support NO. The measure of a good hole is not professional tournament golf given they play it 4 times once very few years. It is how it plays for the members week in week out.

If narrow tree lined doglegs are your thing then in it is magnificent.

• macc and AGQ like this

#23 AGQ

AGQ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 10 May 2017 - 05:26 PM

In one word NO

I will expand to support NO. The measure of a good hole is not professional tournament golf given they play it 4 times once very few years. It is how it plays for the members week in week out.

If narrow tree lined doglegs are your thing then in it is magnificent.

I don't mind the second section of the hole, but agree the tight corridor through trees is not good off the tee. Would be interesting if most of the left side trees were removed and a waste area built on the inside of the turn.

Fulfilling my dream to play Australia's Top 100

AGD 2016 - 95 played

AGD 2014 - 97 played

GA - 2016 - 85 played

GA - 2014 - 90 played

#24 macc

macc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 07:28 PM

Any hole that's been the 72nd in the Australian Open is going to have seen plenty of drama.

It's got nothing to do with whether it's any good or not. The 18th at Augusta isn't that great a hole either.

#25 pt73

pt73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 07:53 PM

pt73

It'll be a pity if the members don't approve Hanse's plan. It will make the course miles better. And to vote against it because the last hole is a par 3 is just silly.

I've played there a lot as a close friend is a member. I saw the first cut of Hanse's design and the changes to the 18th are radical but there's others which I think are stranger like removing the current 8th completely.

The idea of a good short hole seens to be lost on a lot of designers but that's just my opinion.

#26 pt73

pt73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 08:33 PM

Will 18 become a par 3 for example?

They should bulldoze the mickey mouse course Thomson made over a while back, use some of that land to get a great 18 hole course and build a par 3 and practice facility with the land remaining. Won't happen because the club is too conservative for that radical approach.

I'm pretty sure Ross Watson did the last renovation but regardless the changes to the bunkering is was a disaster.

Edited by pt73, 10 May 2017 - 08:36 PM.

#27 macc

macc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 08:44 AM

pt73

Hanse replaces 8 with what should be a better short 4 played over the first half of the current 7th.  

The idea of a great short 4 is not lost on him - the 16th on the Olympic Course is one of the best modern holes under 300 meters. 

#28 chevychase

chevychase

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 08:44 AM

The 18th at Augusta isn't that great a hole either.

Is that a joke?

#29 Shanks4ever

Shanks4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3082 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 02:06 PM

Is that a joke?

What do you like about the hole?

The narrow chute off the tee or the bunkers on the outside of the dogleg?

#30 macc

macc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 06:36 PM

The chute is way too narrow. The bunkers on the outside. And if you haven't seen it the second shot is up an amazingly steep hill.

It's not a horrible hole by any means - but it's far from great. If it wasn't the last hole at Augusta no one ever would have heard of it - exactly the same as 18 at Royal Sydney.

• RobNewy likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users