Am quite interested in the emerging single length irons movement. To the point where I would be up to investing in a set (perhaps in a few months), and seeing how it goes.
However, given the $$$ of the current offerings (typically $1,000-1,500 for 5-PW) I'm more than a little nervous about the cost. Also not sure I like the idea of:
- having to rely on fairways and/or hybrids for anything longer than 5i. My current set ends at 5i, and I really wish I had a 4i.
- having to get single length clubs down to pw, then specialist wedges that are a completely different length, weight, etc, for higher lofts.
Both issues above seem to me like they kind of defeat the underlying purpose a bit. In my mind (without actually having tested anything), the ideal solution would be driver, then 4i through to shortest wedge all being SL, then putter. The less variation the better.
Just found these Pinhawk SL irons through google - http://www.golfclubs...-assembled.html
On the Pro side:
- cover all lofts from 20-59, which satisfies the goal of SL for everything except driver and putter.
- even with some customisation, can get a full set of irons for roughly $100 per club.
- never heard of the brand
- never heard of the supplier/fitter
- have no idea what shafts, grips, etc, to choose
- i know my current specs (length & lie), but have no idea if they are what I should be sticking with
For those that don't know me well, some key points:
- C/D grader - current GA is 23.4
- Driver and short irons (7i+) can be fairly good (sometimes)
- can strike longer irons well, but dispersion is horrible
- short game is non-existent
- putting is fairly decent
- am completely useless with hybrids and/or fairways, to the point where I'm more comfortable hitting driver with a smaller swing
- current circumstances allow me to play once a month if i'm lucky
- would love to practice more often, but currently not an option
So while I understand completely that you can't buy a game, just not all that happy with my current set, and feel like perhaps a simpler approach (ie. one length, one swing, etc), could help me make the most of my game within the very real constraints that I have in terms of time and talent.
Keen to hear the thoughts of the brains trust. Sort of keen to give these a try come tax time, but also a bit wary of the unknown brand, etc.
Lay it on me!