18 replies to this topic

#1 simonsez

simonsez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3154 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:13 AM

My wife was complaining to me about this story this morning  ( been a bit busy here) and asked me why no-one helped the woman who'd been attacked.

Cut and pasted from news.com site.

"A woman tried in vain to get help from fellow commuters before her alleged rapist followed her off the tram and sexually assaulted her in Melbourne, police say.

Police say a man unknown to the woman allegedly began touching and assaulting her on a Collins Street tram between 5am and 6am on Thursday.

When she got off outside St Vincent's Hospital in Fitzroy, he allegedly followed and raped her.

A 49-year-old Flemington man was arrested about 6pm on Thursday and is expected to face court on Friday on charges including rape, sexual assault, attempted rape, assault and false imprisonment.

"Police believe the victim tried to get help from a number of commuters while still on the tram and are appealing for anyone who saw them to come forward," a police spokeswoman said in a statement on Friday.

The woman was wearing a yellow or gold dress and witnesses are urged to speak to police if they saw what happened."

Surely we haven't sunk so low that a woman in obvious fear and distress can't get assistance from her fellow Aussies ?

Any possible reason that you blokes can think of ?

#2 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9016 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:21 AM

Beggars belief that no one stepped up and intervened.
6th March 2016 - Beat the ISG Matchplay Champion!

Posted Image

#3 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22855 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 19 March 2017 - 02:14 PM

One news report said there was one other person on the tram and she mouthed "help".

He probably didn't realise she was being serious.

And the hospital was closed. Wtf?

#4 ozdevil

ozdevil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6675 posts
  • Locationbacchus marsh

Posted 19 March 2017 - 03:37 PM

The amount of crimes that is happening in Melbourne and i am sure it is happening all states and territories , that most are putting themselves first

as  we are not sure wether the criminal has any weapons of sort... specially these days when ice is so rampant on our streets....and its like a revolving door for the crims at the moment 

they come before courts and let out on bail time and time again

While it is sad what happened to this young girl  , but what if this was just a ploy  to sucker an innocent  good samariton in then to rob them and bash  and leave for dead

we can see cmon this is highly unlikely  if a girl is crying out for help but it can happen

I know i would try to help out if i seen a woman or kid being attacked wether  it is sexual or just a bashing

but some will not  help out now  becuase of the fear they could get injured or killed themselves by coming to the aide

I AM ALWAYS FORCED TO DO SH1T I'M NOT QUALIFIED FOR. LIKE BEING NICE TO BLOODY ID1OTS :P :D

golflink # http://www.golflink....k_no=3040204492

#5 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12117 posts
  • LocationThirteen point twenty-four warning points

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:19 PM

You can't live with a guilty conscious when you're dead
  • RobNewy likes this
"But sometimes there are more important things in life than being pedantic about the rules of golf, or spelling and grammar on golf forums"

#6 RobNewy

RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10663 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:25 PM

My thoughts as wll Bump.

As much as everyone thinks, "yeah id have punched him", etc etc, the reality is, the vast majority of people are worried about getting involved in anything due to the repurcussions.

Look at the guy a few years ago in Melbourne CBD, jumped in to help a young lass, was shot to death for his trouble.

I have no idea what i would do in that or a similar situation until i was in that or a similar situation.

Im not a coward, but i dont want to be killed either
  • Ji Bao He likes this

#7 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22855 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:36 PM

No one wants to turn their toes up over a street incident, but you'd be going out on a high.

#8 ink

ink

another beer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33775 posts
  • Locationthe bar

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:53 PM

No one wants to turn their toes up over a street incident, but you'd be going out on a high.

WTF?

#9 ozdevil

ozdevil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6675 posts
  • Locationbacchus marsh

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:03 PM

My thoughts as wll Bump.

As much as everyone thinks, "yeah id have punched him", etc etc, the reality is, the vast majority of people are worried about getting involved in anything due to the repurcussions.

Look at the guy a few years ago in Melbourne CBD, jumped in to help a young lass, was shot to death for his trouble.

I have no idea what i would do in that or a similar situation until i was in that or a similar situation.

Im not a coward, but i dont want to be killed either

that would be the christopher Hudson case on  the corner of william and collins street robnewy

i dont think it really stems that far back as i believe that was a targetted attack on the girl 

i would say more in the last 18 months where crime is up more then ever  and bail means nothing now

I AM ALWAYS FORCED TO DO SH1T I'M NOT QUALIFIED FOR. LIKE BEING NICE TO BLOODY ID1OTS :P :D

golflink # http://www.golflink....k_no=3040204492

#10 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12117 posts
  • LocationThirteen point twenty-four warning points

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:11 PM

And what would happen if all the weapons this fella was packing was a 4 inch flaccid doodle?
I wouldn't set out to be a hero, but living with the guilt if I didn't try something would tear me up too much
  • ftg_lefty and Commish like this
"But sometimes there are more important things in life than being pedantic about the rules of golf, or spelling and grammar on golf forums"

#11 Monty85

Monty85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1447 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Posted 04 April 2017 - 10:26 AM

but some will not  help out now  becuase of the fear they could get injured or killed themselves by coming to the aide

It's a very real concern.

Many years ago myself and a few mates were walking home from a pub in bathurst and came across a girl being cornered by a guy (possibly boyfriend) that looked worried and distressed.

So we stopped and asked if everything was ok (nothing more than that – just a polite question). Next minute and without warning this guy is barrelling towards us ready to attack the first person her sees. In the end, this clown ended up tripping over himself as he was running too fast and basically knocked himself out so all good. But do you think the girl was appreciative? Nope, all we got was abuse from her after that as well.

| GolfLink 

#12 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40397 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 04 April 2017 - 12:54 PM

And in this day and age you help out and knock the bloke out when he turns on you and you end up in jail and sued for all you own

Handicap

Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016

Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands

Goal: A round at par or better!

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Clubman of the Year

Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island

Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands

South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer

http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#13 Tolmij

Tolmij

Just enjoying life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27179 posts
  • LocationHere in paradise

Posted 04 April 2017 - 01:36 PM

It's a very real concern.

Many years ago myself and a few mates were walking home from a pub in bathurst and came across a girl being cornered by a guy (possibly boyfriend) that looked worried and distressed.

So we stopped and asked if everything was ok (nothing more than that – just a polite question). Next minute and without warning this guy is barrelling towards us ready to attack the first person her sees. In the end, this clown ended up tripping over himself as he was running too fast and basically knocked himself out so all good. But do you think the girl was appreciative? Nope, all we got was abuse from her after that as well.

A friend of mine in England was attacked by the woman he tried to save getting a beating. Her boyfriend was laying into her with both fists when he stopped him the woman laid into him with a shoe.
Intended to break 90 this year, not going well.

Concentrating just getting round the course

#14 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9016 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 04 April 2017 - 01:48 PM

Have stepped up before and wont hesitate to do so again.
  • BumpunRun and Madambo like this
6th March 2016 - Beat the ISG Matchplay Champion!

Posted Image

#15 ink

ink

another beer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33775 posts
  • Locationthe bar

Posted 04 April 2017 - 02:49 PM

Have stepped up before and wont hesitate to do so again.

You got to stop picking fights in the pre school yard...parents are going to eventually complain.
  • BarnEsy05, Francie and iRON MiCK like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users