96 replies to this topic

#31 Lukos87

Lukos87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1281 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 04:03 PM

What's the point of reducing amateur spots in an amateur comp for professionals to play?

I agree with you in that but unfortunately the decision has been made and people are playing them.
All you can do is get everyone opposed to hound GV to change it back to its original form.

The other week in Div 3 there were over 60 people going up the last few holes watching the professionals come in, I don't think you would get that with all amateurs in round 1.

Second- As someone who spends a lot of my weekends caddying in amateur events it gives me(and others) the chance to meet some professionals and get gigs at state and national events. Last year I thought I had a fair grasp of what I was doing but the professional i worked with at the Vic open was well above any level I had seen and honestly I could have done with spending a few weeks caddying for a lesser pro which now I have the chance to do.

While your at it maybe try and get them to impose sanctions on what amateurs can play as well. Seems a bit cheap that sandbelt clubs take all the junior talent from other clubs and won't play them weakening the actual home clubs squad creating a little inner circle of clubs which will live in division one and two forever.

#32 LongyBoy

LongyBoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 04:14 PM

Itchy

If it's about standard play 7 pros!!?

Edited by LongyBoy, 23 March 2017 - 04:15 PM.

• Parmachine likes this

#33 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4447 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 23 March 2017 - 04:19 PM

Itchy

If it's about standard play 7 pros!!?

Most of the pros at my club wouldn't get a game, but I take your point.

Still, id rather have genuine club members playing, even if they are pros, rather than interstate and international amateur ring ins.

#34 LongyBoy

LongyBoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 04:22 PM

60 spectators is not unusual watching a final match between the last few players (generally 1 & 2)
It is a flawed point to just raise the standard
You don't play senior footballers to improve under 18's football! It is a competition for a particular sportsperson, in this case it has been for 100 years

#35 LongyBoy

LongyBoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 04:24 PM

Itch
Totally agree, GV need to police the whole thing better
Imports, incentives, interstates and pros need to be looked at
It's a club competition for genuine members
  • voss and Liberton like this

#36 Liberton

Liberton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 12:00 PM

Itch
Totally agree, GV need to police the whole thing better
Imports, incentives, interstates and pros need to be looked at
It's a club competition for genuine members

Seems were still asking the same questions that were asked when pro's were first announced - will GV check if players are actually eligible to play for a club, were they members before Jan 1, are they full fee paying members etc - and to my knowledge they havnt - as they told us they wouldn't at that same meeting - as it is the responsibility of each club to ensure they comply.

Also, no club has withdrawn from pennant because of this (mine pulled out this year for other reasons) and it seems more clubs are willing to play pro's / trainee's, only the media coverage GV hoped for, and big name players to front up has not eventuated.

• LongyBoy likes this

#37 Lukos87

Lukos87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1281 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 06:56 PM

http://www.golfvic.org.au/mens-pennant

Today's results are in.

#38 Kiwi

Kiwi

Wholly Awesomeness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23704 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 09:36 PM

Caddied at the berg today
Our div 3 VGA team (gizzy) got up 4/3.
My man and fellow iseeker steve75 won 4/2.
Course was in abfabb cond.
Greens were like billiard tables.
Hard and fast.
  • Madambo, Liberton and Chunky McChunkerson like this
Half the Trentham dream team

#39 macc

macc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 09:31 AM

LongyBoy

It long ago ceased being a competition for genuine members.

There is one D1 club with barely a 'genuine member'

#40 voss

voss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1607 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 09:29 AM

Interesting that the No.1 player from Woodlands was DQ'd for practising on the course prior to hit off.
  • Parmachine likes this

#41 Tigerblood

Tigerblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3042 posts
  • LocationRingwood East

Posted 04 April 2017 - 09:50 AM

Interesting that the No.1 player from Woodlands was DQ'd for practising on the course prior to hit off.

I heard about that, surely a pennant player experienced enough not to do that?

Hole In One Eastwood 17th 153 mtrs,  27/12/12

#42 Smilesy

Smilesy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 04 April 2017 - 10:07 AM

This is an interesting one. According the R&A rules it's fine to practice on the course prior to a round, is their a local or competition rule that overrides this?

7-1 Before or Between Rounds
a. Match Play

On any day of a match play competition, a player may practise on the competition course
before a round.

http://www.randa.org...-Between-Rounds

#43 Tigerblood

Tigerblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3042 posts
  • LocationRingwood East

Posted 04 April 2017 - 10:16 AM

This is an interesting one. According the R&A rules it's fine to practice on the course prior to a round, is their a local or competition rule that overrides this?
7-1 Before or Between Rounds
a. Match Play

On any day of a match play competition, a player may practise on the competition course
before a round.
http://www.randa.org...-Between-Rounds

I didn't realize that, I. Thought you couldnt

Hole In One Eastwood 17th 153 mtrs,  27/12/12

#44 Smilesy

Smilesy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 04 April 2017 - 10:20 AM

I'd been told you could in match play so I was surprised when I heard it. I just looked at the Golf Vic pennant rules, and that is where it is prohibited.

I've never had the opportunity to practice on the course anyway as the colts are always playing before us.

• voss and Parmachine like this

#45 Liberton

Liberton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 11:58 AM

I'd been told you could in match play so I was surprised when I heard it. I just looked at the Golf Vic pennant rules, and that is where it is prohibited.

I've never had the opportunity to practice on the course anyway as the colts are always playing before us.

Couple of years ago a player from a club took a hole because his opponent swore after missing a putt - its not in the R&A rules but was in GV rules that swearing was prohibited.

His team mates were less than impressed with him - let alone the opposition players.

• Parmachine likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users