96 replies to this topic

#16 Lukos87

Lukos87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1189 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:08 PM

Peninsula Kingswood got up 5/2 against Sanctuary Lakes yesterday at Metro. The course was generally in great nick although a couple of spots of the fairways were a little on bare side. The greens were amazing, quick but very playable thankfully and some of the pins were seriously tricky to get to.
From what I heard yesterday Commonwealth are saying that Frazer Droop isn't a pro, he's a Trainee hence they haven't broken the agreement, that's bull if you ask me but anyway. We play them this week at La Trobe so hopefully our No1 can get up against him. Commonwealth really laid down a marker beating another of the favorites in Royal 5/2

Rumors are his foot wedge and ball dispenser have been working well this year so he should get up 😂
  • Smilesy likes this

#17 Phil_Fan

Phil_Fan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationThe rolling Hills of Adelaide

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:22 PM

Is Droop the young chap from Yarrawonga?
How long has he been a Commonwealth member? Good on him for doing so well at his age.

Phil is my idol

#18 voss

voss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1600 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:06 PM

Keysie is miles better condition wise than Henley which is why I can't quite grasp how you and Voss were happy with it yesterday, I thought it was somewhere between poor & horrible. Lunch was excellent though.

Do us a favour and re-read my post. We quoted that the course was passable in view of the circumstances that the club faces at this present moment. No one has said that the course condition was excellent or words of that nature. To say it was poor and horrible is just rubbish.

Sounds like you may have been there early morning and witnessed a heavy dew, hence your heavy criticism of the course .

#19 Can Break 80

Can Break 80

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8280 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:35 PM

Peninsula Kingswood got up 5/2 against Sanctuary Lakes yesterday at Metro. The course was generally in great nick although a couple of spots of the fairways were a little on bare side. The greens were amazing, quick but very playable thankfully and some of the pins were seriously tricky to get to.

From what I heard yesterday Commonwealth are saying that Frazer Droop isn't a pro, he's a Trainee hence they haven't broken the agreement, that's bull if you ask me but anyway. We play them this week at La Trobe so hopefully our No1 can get up against him. Commonwealth really laid down a marker beating another of the favorites in Royal 5/2

Frazer Droop (trainee pro) played No. 1 for Commonwealth yesterday in Div 1.

Appears that "Gentlemen's agreement" has been broken...

According to PGA web site Frazer Droop won $7299.12 at Coca cola classic at rich river  in January.

playing for money - sorry that is a pro.

its more money than other juniors make working at McD's.

Also noted that the 2012 Australian PGA  champion played for the National at number 1.(really why would he even bother to play..)

This comes back to the other thread and discussion every year, why does GolfVictoria allow pros play in club pennant.

Edited by Can Break 80, 20 March 2017 - 06:38 PM.

• Parmachine likes this
2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2016 3 x winner on SGA tour.

2015 SGA tour Match play champion

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#20 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3945 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:46 PM

Do us a favour and re-read my post. We quoted that the course was passable in view of the circumstances that the club faces at this present moment. No one has said that the course condition was excellent or words of that nature. To say it was poor and horrible is just rubbish.

Sounds like you may have been there early morning and witnessed a heavy dew, hence your heavy criticism of the course .

I quote, "Your assessment is not quite accurate"
Which part was inaccurate? The course was in poor condition and I stand by that. I made no comment on the circumstances regarding why it was poor, that was you.
Have you ever seen that course in good condition? Its not a shade of its former self.

I was there in the afternoon which probably explains why it was so dry, but the greens were bumpy regardless.

#21 voss

voss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1600 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:18 PM

I quote, "Your assessment is not quite accurate"
Which part was inaccurate? The course was in poor condition and I stand by that. I made no comment on the circumstances regarding why it was poor, that was you.
Have you ever seen that course in good condition? Its not a shade of its former self.

I was there in the afternoon which probably explains why it was so dry, but the greens were bumpy regardless.

Agree to disagree . Maybe others can form an opinion of the course condition. Unlikely to hear the words "poor and horrible" !

Pennant has historically been played on the St John's layout and most present on Sunday had not played Henly.

#22 Smilesy

Smilesy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:14 PM

According to PGA web site Frazer Droop won $7299.12 at Coca cola classic at rich river in January.

playing for money - sorry that is a pro.

its more money than other juniors make working at McD's.

Also noted that the 2012 Australian PGA champion played for the National at number 1.(really why would he even bother to play..)

This comes back to the other thread and discussion every year, why does GolfVictoria allow pros play in club pennant.

100% agree, you play for money your a pro
  • Parmachine likes this

#23 LongyBoy

LongyBoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 10:50 PM

Yep
Ridiculous, however it appears GV do not care about members and amateurs opinions - I feel like we are flogging a dead horse!!!
GV didn't ask clubs, captains or participants, they ignored advice from their own sub committtees, they bought in a highly controversial change with no consultation
Destroyed much of the spirit and intent of Pennant Golf

Edited by LongyBoy, 22 March 2017 - 10:52 PM.

• voss and Kiwi like this

#24 Bumpy.M

Bumpy.M

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10954 posts
  • LocationThirteen point twenty-four warning points

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:07 AM

I'm in Brisbane, I have no more than a passing interest in the goings on of Victorian Pennant, but jeepers I have found this whole thing amusing.

In the past a few years ago, my passing interest has been piqued when some players I know from my home club and other nearby clubs made their debut for the Sandbelt teams. Two of them have since gone on to be pros and the other has given the game away. 

I had asked one of them in jest before he flew down, have you ever played at your club's course? 

clickbait warning, "The answer will shock you!" 

the answer is no, he hadn't see the course before. And it wasn't long after that he gave the game away. 

If the spirit and intent of your proud game is to have fly blokes from interstate down a couple of times over a few month stint is the go, good luck to you. Keep on flogging that dead horse. 

• voss, Kiwi, Liberton and 2 others like this
"But sometimes there are more important things in life than being pedantic about the rules of golf, or spelling and grammar on golf forums"

#25 Liberton

Liberton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:48 AM

I'm in Brisbane, I have no more than a passing interest in the goings on of Victorian Pennant, but jeepers I have found this whole thing amusing.

In the past a few years ago, my passing interest has been piqued when some players I know from my home club and other nearby clubs made their debut for the Sandbelt teams. Two of them have since gone on to be pros and the other has given the game away. 

I had asked one of them in jest before he flew down, have you ever played at your club's course? 

clickbait warning, "The answer will shock you!" 

the answer is no, he hadn't see the course before. And it wasn't long after that he gave the game away. 

If the spirit and intent of your proud game is to have fly blokes from interstate down a couple of times over a few month stint is the go, good luck to you. Keep on flogging that dead horse. 

Not just interstate, years ago it was internationals.

#26 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3945 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:49 AM

Rule is a team can have 2 interstate, international or pros playing

Interstate meaning they have represented their state against victoria in a national championships.

Edited by Itchy4Scratch, 23 March 2017 - 11:49 AM.

#27 LongyBoy

LongyBoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 01:17 PM

Bumpy Mc

For what it's worth I find this practice despicable also
At least they are amateurs...

Edited by LongyBoy, 23 March 2017 - 01:18 PM.

• Bumpy.M likes this

#28 Lukos87

Lukos87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1189 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 03:12 PM

Does anyone like professionals in pennant?
I personally don't mind it- Bar the direct imports.
The trainee from our club grew up there and has been loyal to it the entire time.
I see a few other benefits to it which others will look over.

Edited by Lukos87, 23 March 2017 - 03:12 PM.

#29 LongyBoy

LongyBoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 03:22 PM

What's the point of reducing amateur spots in an amateur comp for professionals to play?

#30 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3945 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 23 March 2017 - 03:27 PM

What's the point of reducing amateur spots in an amateur comp for professionals to play?

So you can have the best players in your club playing for your club. 

I'm indifferent about it to be honest. If the pros are genuine members then it seems reasonable. 

• Parmachine likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users