GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9016 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 07 March 2017 - 06:19 PM

Tiger blood.

Why sell a better course and exchange it for a lesser one?

$ per metre squared is a compelling reason.
  • jrg1166 likes this
6th March 2016 - Beat the ISG Matchplay Champion!

Posted Image

#17 Tigerblood

Tigerblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3065 posts
  • LocationRingwood East

Posted 07 March 2017 - 06:23 PM

That's enough Frankston bashing thank you very much.

Wasnt bashing Frankston at all, just a simple matter of geography, The Nash would prefer a course closer to the city LI

Edited by Tigerblood, 07 March 2017 - 06:24 PM.

Hole In One Eastwood 17th 153 mtrs,  27/12/12

#18 Tigerblood

Tigerblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3065 posts
  • LocationRingwood East

Posted 07 March 2017 - 06:25 PM

$ per metre squared is a compelling reason.

Maybe not Ghetto, I dont believe the land Capital sits on can be used for housing so it's value could actually be less

#19 Liberton

Liberton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 12:01 PM

When I played the Ocean course in Dec, there was talk of building a new course at The National - on the land on the right hand side as you drive in, any truth in that?

#20 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4879 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 08 March 2017 - 12:08 PM

When I played the Ocean course in Dec, there was talk of building a new course at The National - on the land on the right hand side as you drive in, any truth in that?

I played a tournament with a member from the Nash in October last year and he mentioned talk of building 2 new courses down there.

#21 Tigerblood

Tigerblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3065 posts
  • LocationRingwood East

Posted 08 March 2017 - 12:17 PM

Yes eventually the long term plan is to build 2 courses on that land, they are always negotiating with the owners

However that is probably 10+ years down the track

#22 macc

macc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 05:49 PM

Tigerblood

It's not as good as Long Island - especially if they fixed 4,5 and 13. It's far too good a course to plough under for housing when you consider the courses just a little further to the north.

• RobNewy and LongyBoy like this

#23 Scratch64

Scratch64

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 06:19 PM

Tigerblood

It's not as good as Long Island - especially if they fixed 4,5 and 13. It's far too good a course to plough under for housing when you consider the courses just a little further to the north.

All this talk about the quality of Longy has got me thinking, perhaps on principle a deal has already been done for the sale of the Longy site?

Perhaps selling in the Nationals eyes is a better finicial move than a re-design if the course?

#24 LongyBoy

LongyBoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 03:21 AM

Tigerblood

The Capital is an average layout and is certainly not regarded as a quality 'Sandbelt' type course.

The price tag of $90M is overs and if you know anything about the Long Island deal that type of cash will not be on hand at The Nat for at least 8 years if at all.

1/3 of all rounds played amongst National members are on the Long Island course, as MACC says it is a much better course than Capital.

If Long Island is the most patronised club do you think 75% of members will vote to sell in 8 years? (if the board even puts it to a vote)

• Flog_Fetishist likes this

#25 Tigerblood

Tigerblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3065 posts
  • LocationRingwood East

Posted 13 March 2017 - 05:41 AM

Tigerblood

The Capital is an average layout and is certainly not regarded as a quality 'Sandbelt' type course.
The price tag of $90M is overs and if you know anything about the Long Island deal that type of cash will not be on hand at The Nat for at least 8 years if at all.
1/3 of all rounds played amongst National members are on the Long Island course, as MACC says it is a much better course than Capital.
If Long Island is the most patronised club do you think 75% of members will vote to sell in 8 years? (if the board even puts it to a vote)

Hey Longyboy

$90 mill I would imagine is massive overs, the figures iv heard are closer to $60 mill, but I was just spitballing mate I know nothing will happen there

My memories on the specifics of the deal are a bit hazy but wasn't the course guaranteed for 7 years after which a vote by LI members would be needed and after 10 a vote by the whole membership, 2 years has passed so it's only 5 years away from LI vote (if one was needed)

LI was always going to be the most played track, given you don't have to travel an hour to get to it, if it was replaced by any other city/sandelt course that too would be the most patronised.

#26 macc

macc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:03 AM

Not 'much' better - just better. If they fixed 4,5 and 13 it would be closer to 'much better'

There have to be smarter deals done than to just sell LI and swap it for something closer to the city.

Sell a Doak 1 - not a Doak 5. Golf loses if that happens.

Edited by macc, 13 March 2017 - 10:04 AM.

• LongyBoy likes this

#27 LongyBoy

LongyBoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:18 PM

Tigerblood,

The vote can be put to original LI members after 5 years (require 75% - no hope)and then full membership group after 10 years.
Remembering that this will only arise if the Committee want to go down this path.
The course is looking great, they have spent minimal at the site and the course is full.
Fairly successful so far.....
  • Flog_Fetishist likes this

#28 Happy_Dude

Happy_Dude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:04 AM

Played LI yesterday.  Immaculate condition, especially the greens.  It was better than Metro played on Sunday.

Also played Nash Old and Moonah.  Need to fix the last 3 holes at moonah before touching the Ocean.

WRT the price of Capital, the price of Kingswood might be a useful yardstick?

• LongyBoy likes this

I am not interested in your blog.

#29 jrg1166

jrg1166

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1115 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 14 March 2017 - 12:08 PM

Played LI yesterday.  Immaculate condition, especially the greens.  It was better than Metro played on Sunday.

Also played Nash Old and Moonah.  Need to fix the last 3 holes at moonah before touching the Ocean.

Capital is on industrial land while Kingswood was sold for housing so I do not think this comparison will work

• Happy_Dude and LongyBoy like this

#30 baggiez

baggiez

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:37 PM

As a member who regularly plays at LI I would agree with comments on course condition at the moment.

We don't appreciate it until we play elsewhere although I would say the greens were even better 2+ years ago.

It would be a shame to lose this gem to developers but maybe it isn't inevitable if the collective membership sees its value.

All the rumours about further mergers etc are just that - the National/LI merger appears to have been one of the best kept secrets since D Day :)  

• Flog_Fetishist and LongyBoy like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users