#16 Tochakka

Tochakka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2531 posts
  • LocationIn the pines in the pines where the sun don't shine

Posted 09 March 2017 - 04:02 PM

I would have thought that if you were playing match play on the day then you would not be part of the daily competition. What happens at our club any head to head matches are played at the tail of the field and are a separate competition.

#17 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22034 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 10 March 2017 - 11:14 AM

Itchy, what you describe is very common and independent of the official club comp. Nothing wrong with that.

The reason for not allowing match and stroke play concurrently is that some rules, particularly penalties, are different. What would you do then, play two balls? One for the match and one for the comp?  Which one first?

As for the match index, its use is not compulsory. Particularly in pennant where there's a shotgun start. The organisers would have to produce match indices for each of the starting holes.  Too much work and confusion among the players.  So they just use the stroke index.

#18 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11578 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 10 March 2017 - 02:11 PM

Is the match index not marked on the score  card then?

Member of the Vision Test Pilot Project.
No VTPP11

#19 Tochakka

Tochakka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2531 posts
  • LocationIn the pines in the pines where the sun don't shine

Posted 10 March 2017 - 02:54 PM

I know there is a few clubs up this way that have taken match play index off the cards and only stroke index is used.

#20 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22034 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 07:38 PM

Is the match index not marked on the score  card then?

Not all of them. But even if the standard match index is shown, some events might not use it. e.g. shotgun start.

#21 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1670 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 08:28 PM

Not all of them. But even if the standard match index is shown, some events might not use it. e.g. shotgun start.

I have never heard of multiple matches (match play)being played on a shotgun start. It is possible but weird.
It needs a match play index unless every player is off scratch.
Stroke and match indexes are frequently the same. In OZ I think the "calculated or standard " index recommended available in the back of the RULE BOOK of is commonly used and printed on the course scorecard. It is good in terms of distribution of strokes.
As stated above the penalties and other things are so different the two forms of competition cannot co-exist. The common sidebets are NOT real Match Play.
Y

#22 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11578 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 10 March 2017 - 10:12 PM

Sorry OB but I fail to see why a shotgun start would make any difference. The holes are still indexed the same. Shotgun start for pennant? Do not like that idea at all.

• RobNewy likes this
No VTPP11

#23 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22034 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 09:08 AM

Sorry OB but I fail to see why a shotgun start would make any difference. The holes are still indexed the same. Shotgun start for pennant? Do not like that idea at all.

Using the standard match index, the 8th hole you play is the first hole on which a stroke is allowed, followed by 12th and 4th. What if you start your match on the 13th? There wouldn't be a stroke allowed until your 10th hole.

The correct solution is to prepare match indices adjusted to allow for whichever hole on which your match starts.  Not only is that a pain for the organisers who must prepare 18 different index cards, but also have to ensure that each player has the correct card.  Too much trouble.

In my neck of the woods, all pennant matches for the district for that week are conducted on one of the regional courses which is closed to all others until early afternoon. A shotgun start is the only way.

At my other metro club, pennant is played 'home & away' style. With divisions of four clubs, you play each of the other three at your course and theirs - six matches for the season plus a final.

#24 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11164 posts
  • LocationThirteen point twenty-four warning points

Posted 11 March 2017 - 10:13 AM

Using the standard match index, the 8th hole you play is the first hole on which a stroke is allowed, followed by 12th and 4th. What if you start your match on the 13th? There wouldn't be a stroke allowed until your 10th hole.

The correct solution is to prepare match indices adjusted to allow for whichever hole on which your match starts. Not only is that a pain for the organisers who must prepare 18 different index cards, but also have to ensure that each player has the correct card. Too much trouble.

I'm still not sure if you're being serious or not.
  • RobNewy likes this
"But sometimes there are more important things in life than being pedantic about the rules of golf, or spelling and grammar on golf forums"

#25 The Pres

The Pres

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17853 posts
  • Location.

Posted 11 March 2017 - 11:22 AM

Attached File  IMG_1261.JPG   26.35KB   0 downloads

#26 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1670 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 02:05 PM

I'm still not sure if you're being serious or not.

I believe he is serious. It can be done but what a lot of work! Unnecessary. 

Other things done by some associations is to use the three cornered contest two get two weeks of matches done on one day. Three-Ball Match Play.

No thank you.

While am on this.

I used to play some interclub pennants a while back. Two matches in one group. Hated it. The interference from the other match can be a most painful. 

Even worse I once had to do this on sand greens.

#27 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22034 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 05:46 PM

We go out in fours (two individual matches).
Interference is not a problem.
Matches are usually done within 4 hours, even when going to the last hole.

#28 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11578 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 11 March 2017 - 08:38 PM

The standard match index shares the shots out evenly across the course. no matter what hole you start on you will still get a fairly even spread as far as handicap is concerned. Doing individual match indexes starting at each hole is way over the top & surely not needed.

We do not play handicap pennant. WE play off scratch in grades.

No VTPP11

#29 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2908 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 10:52 PM

The standard match index shares the shots out evenly across the course. no matter what hole you start on you will still get a fairly even spread as far as handicap is concerned. 

That does not fully satisfy GA's requirement.

(a) Match Play Index

One of the main factors that should be taken into consideration is that the very early or very late holes should not be assigned to a low Stroke Index. The reason being that if a game were to finish all square and the players were required to go on to the 19th and subsequent holes to determine the winner, a player in receipt of very few strokes would gain an unfair advantage if he were to receive a stroke at the 19th or 20th. Similarly, if a low Stroke Index were assigned to a hole at the very end of the round, a player in receipt of very few strokes may not have the opportunity to use them as the game may be over by that stage. In general, therefore, Stroke Index 1 to 4 should not be on holes 1, 2, 17 or 18. The other important factor to be taken into account in fixing the order of the Stroke Index is that strokes should be fairly spread out over the 18 holes.

• RulesDoc likes this

#30 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4264 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:13 AM

We do not play handicap pennant. WE play off scratch in grades.

That's how it should be. Handicap Match play is a lottery.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users